Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum VI Modification?? Strings?? Ideas/Experiences to share  (Read 532 times)
markj

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2022, 02:34:26 AM »

Don't worry about the adhesive left behind on the top after the pickguard lifts off. Just rub it with your finger and let it collect into a big adhesive "booger" and just lift it off the top. Try to pick as much of it off as you can, then use a paper tower soaked in Naptha to remove the residual adhesive.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
Riverbend
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2022, 08:39:52 AM »

Thanks Mark. If I can grab some naphtha this is going to happen. I put it on the back burner but your post has made me realize how much I want the pick guard off. Mine wasn't supposed to be attached either. 

Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (10/21/2008)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
markj

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2022, 10:44:57 AM »

Any hardware store should carry naptha.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2022, 12:09:26 PM »

Wow, that guitar looks super clean sans pick-guard!  My Larrivee (not a Forum model) had one of those square clear guards on it when I got it.  I took it off years ago.
Riverbend
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2022, 08:34:13 AM »

Any hardware store should carry naptha.
Yep, just limited on getting out and about right now with a herniated lumbar vertebra. Wife has a broken foot or I'd send her. Was there any hint of discoloration on the VI? Mine sits out on a stand but not in direct light.

Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
markj

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2022, 04:01:51 PM »

After more than 6 months now, I have not modified the action, or even tweaked the truss rod since I took delivery of the Forum VI. It has remained very stable. Stays in tune. Intonation is about as perfect as it gets. I love it more every day. It is a true heirloom guitar.

I find the factory setup on mine, near perfect, but I am going to have the action lowered just a tiny bit. I think the nut could use slightly deeper slots. My fingers tend to fatigue a little faster when playing it vs. my LV-10 and OO-40.

Other than that, I am thinking about a possible tuning machine swap down the road. Nothing wrong with the stock tuners but a nice set of JCL 18:1 like the LV-10 has would look nice. I would like to keep it with factory tuners. Otherwise Gotoh would be my next choice. Maybe some ebony buttons and bridge pins. Keep all the original stuff with it of course.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2022, 09:07:52 PM »

If you don't have naptha, another way to "loosen" the adhesive under the pickguard is by *very carefully* using a hair dryer to warm it up. Again, be careful how much hot air you apply to the top of the guitar - you don't want to loosen braces or anything like that.

But if you're careful and work slow (again), this works as well. Final cleanup might still take some naptha.
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2022, 11:03:24 PM »

Thanks Mark. If I can grab some naphtha this is going to happen. I put it on the back burner but your post has made me realize how much I want the pick guard off. Mine wasn't supposed to be attached either. 
Naphtha is available at many grocery stores and still in most drug stores that sell tobacco products sold in small quantities marketed primarily as “lighter fluid”.
Also known as white gas (think: Coleman Fuel).
nbs2005

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2022, 02:36:10 PM »

Not really. The small sound hole on the F-VI makes it  impossible to install a good quality sound hole pickup in anything other than an unreasonable amount of time.
There is a cheap pickup, by Recording King, called a Gold Foil, which is like 40-50 bucks, shallow in depth and can be installed and removed quickly, but doesn't sound as good as the better pickups. It also comes with a short dedicated cord designed to be installed permanently in an end hole location. You can hang the end cord out the sound hole but it doesn't have a protective sleeve and I really think you should look for a better solution. You have good money in the guitars, you should look for a Baggs M1 or similar, (or Fishman or whatever) or just cave in and get K&K.
Just my two cents from experience. I use either Baggs M1 or K&K in all my guitars.
My own F-VI will have a Sunrise Sound hole) PU installed permanently, and rewired to make the harness like K&K. The pickup will only need to be moved in order to do truss rod adjustments. I have already had it installed for a bit and it sounds great. I am not going to put a permanently installed PU like K&K in the F-VI.
Mike

So I can be a bit pig headed  I'm taking my Forum VI in today to have a K&K installed as all my other solutions were less than optimal. Should have listened to you Mike. Also having them install a beautiful set of open gear Waverly butter beans I have lying around. That should spruce it up nicely. Will post a pic when it's done.
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2022, 04:09:02 PM »

So I can be a bit pig headed  I'm taking my Forum VI in today to have a K&K installed as all my other solutions were less than optimal. Should have listened to you Mike. Also having them install a beautiful set of open gear Waverly butter beans I have lying around. That should spruce it up nicely. Will post a pic when it's done.
Make sure to ask whoever installs it if there are any issues, like having enough real estate on the bridge plate. The F-III had a large bridgeplate, but didn't quite have enough room to install the K&K. It was required to glue on a small extension to install the transducers. We have a different bracing system, so hopefully, no problems.
Mike
Riverbend
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2022, 08:45:30 PM »

No more pick guard! Turned out great. This is how I envisioned it from the beginning. The top is gorgeous.

* pick guard 1.jpg (178.6 KB, 720x1280 - viewed 6 times.)

* pick guard 2.jpg (194.45 KB, 720x1280 - viewed 7 times.)

Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2022, 09:55:37 PM »

No more pick guard! Turned out great. This is how I envisioned it from the beginning. The top is gorgeous.
Method details! (for future reference)
Mike
Riverbend
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2022, 12:27:14 AM »

Method details! (for future reference)
Mike
I did as Mark shared, which is naphtha and a small paint brush and dental floss. I attached small rubberized rings to each end of dental floss to act as grips and kept working it back and forth with applications of naphtha whenever it bogged down. I used a small soft rubber spatula to gently wedge the pick guard up. I started at the tip and worked towards the bridge and spent about an hour removing the guard and maybe 30 minutes more cleaning up the left over glue.

Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
markj

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2022, 04:17:29 PM »

It looks as it should, which is beautiful!

Good job on the removal.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
Bard

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2022, 07:18:51 PM »

Why are you guys ruining your guitars? 

I love the look with the pick guard on mine.
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2022, 11:35:22 PM »

Me too 👍

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2022, 02:39:12 AM »

A quick review.... the F-VI was supposed to be delivered with the PG in the case.
Didn't work out that way in all instances, like some other stuff..... we just deal with it.
I like the solutions, though.
Mike
Riverbend
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2022, 07:45:20 AM »

A quick review.... the F-VI was supposed to be delivered with the PG in the case.
Didn't work out that way in all instances, like some other stuff..... we just deal with it.
Mike
I could've easily lived with the pick guard as it wasn't really very important at the end of the day. What is foremost about these guitars is that they are such an amazing combination of attributes. Such gems, and thank you again for helping the planets align as they did. 

Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Bard

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2022, 05:39:58 PM »

Mike

Understood, I was just making a pick guard camp vs. no pick guard camp joke. It was a good accident in my case because I wanted it installed. I'm glad to see that the people on the other side of it are able to make the VI the way they want it.
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2022, 01:31:40 PM »

I'm taking my Forum VI in today to have a K&K installed as all my other solutions were less than optimal.
Any reaction/report yet?
Mike
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: