Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum VI Modification?? Strings?? Ideas/Experiences to share  (Read 107 times)
re-tired

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2022, 08:10:55 PM »

I was hoping to get a thread started where Forum VI users would share their experiences with any changes to the guitar.  I am looking forward to trying different strings on mine. 

Am planning to try Thomastik-Infeld plectrums  10-50.   Anybody tried other strings and what was your experience.

I am also considering using the tonerite on it for maybe 5 days.  It sounds great right now but I have had some good results using the tonerite on other guitars.

Anybody else considering different trials on the Forum VI?

Bob

Larrivee Forum VI
Webber RB
Eastman AC722ce
jazzereh

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 01:12:21 AM »

I have a set of black tuners that I will put on at some point.  Yes, they are from Larrivee.  Mostly 'cause I think the black tuners on the black headstock will be a good look.

Strings, yes, already changed them.

Tonerite, never.  I've read many comments about this and just think it's snake oil.  The guitar sounds great now, as it develops naturally, it will sound better.  I'm good with that.

B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 01:59:57 AM »

I think a toneright on a new Larrivee is a good idea. I've done a number of experiments with new and used instruments of varying age, wood, maker, etc, and the Larrivees benefited most. I personally feel Larrivees start a little stiff and age wonderfully. The tonerite doesn't do everything that natural wood aging will, but it does help with the vibrational settling in that comes from playing. That is, the factors that extend the low frequency response, improve sustain, and make the instrument feel a bit more responsive.

All that said, I don't use a tonerite any more. And, I don't think it's a must have. But, if I owned both a new Larrivee and a tonerite, I'd definitely give those two some private time for a few nights.  bigrin

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 02:00:20 AM »

My FVI guitar sounded great right out of the box when I opened it so I am going to let it settle in.

I have already put a new set of D’Addario light gauge strings and am going to purchase a couple of effects pedals in addition to the looping pedal I purchased. I’m going to consider upgrading the tuners.
re-tired

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 02:38:21 AM »

I have a set of black tuners that I will put on at some point.  Yes, they are from Larrivee.  Mostly 'cause I think the black tuners on the black headstock will be a good look.

Strings, yes, already changed them.

Tonerite, never.  I've read many comments about this and just think it's snake oil.  The guitar sounds great now, as it develops naturally, it will sound better.  I'm good with that.

What strings did you go with and how are they compared to the originals?  Brand and gauge?  thks, bob

Bob

Larrivee Forum VI
Webber RB
Eastman AC722ce
re-tired

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 02:42:01 AM »

I think a toneright on a new Larrivee is a good idea. I've done a number of experiments with new and used instruments of varying age, wood, maker, etc, and the Larrivees benefited most. I personally feel Larrivees start a little stiff and age wonderfully. The tonerite doesn't do everything that natural wood aging will, but it does help with the vibrational settling in that comes from playing. That is, the factors that extend the low frequency response, improve sustain, and make the instrument feel a bit more responsive.

All that said, I don't use a tonerite any more. And, I don't think it's a must have. But, if I owned both a new Larrivee and a tonerite, I'd definitely give those two some private time for a few nights.  bigrin

Thanks, Bowie... my results have been mixed with the tonerite but I think it depends on the stiffness of the top.  I, too, think the Forum VI sounded great when new with good sustain and responsiveness.  I will give it a try... nothing to lose... 

Bob

Larrivee Forum VI
Webber RB
Eastman AC722ce
re-tired

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 02:44:01 AM »

My FVI guitar sounded great right out of the box when I opened it so I am going to let it settle in.

I have already put a new set of D’Addario light gauge strings and am going to purchase a couple of effects pedals in addition to the looping pedal I purchased. I’m going to consider upgrading the tuners.

teh,  which D'Addario's and what gauge?  How did it sound, any different?

Bob

Larrivee Forum VI
Webber RB
Eastman AC722ce
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 06:51:01 PM »

I use light gauge (EJ16) and have found them to be the most consistent. I also use them on my Larrivee Parlor and my two Martins (000 12 fret custom and OM35). Depending on the season and playing time, I change them every 60 to 90 days.

They really evened out the bass, mids and trebles and the Anthem dual source, no-cut pickup was a nice addition. I bought a three pack on sale for $15.
re-tired

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 07:36:13 PM »

I use light gauge (EJ16) and have found them to be the most consistent. I also use them on my Larrivee Parlor and my two Martins (000 12 fret custom and OM35). Depending on the season and playing time, I change them every 60 to 90 days.

They really evened out the bass, mids and trebles and the Anthem dual source, no-cut pickup was a nice addition. I bought a three pack on sale for $15.

Thanks for the reply...  I like to experiment with strings... they can have quite an impact on the sound.  I seem to always be looking for the very best tone that can be achieved.

Bob

Larrivee Forum VI
Webber RB
Eastman AC722ce
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: