rebuilding nut slot cut too deep

Started by StringPicker6, May 13, 2022, 10:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I recently got a nice set up on my OM-40R, and the only major work the luthier did was make the nut string slots deeper.  I was very happy with the result, but now I'm noticing the low E string will buzz against the first fret if I strum it a wee bit heavier (not aggressively).  Short of major guitar surgery and putting in a whole new nut, could a luthier use some of that special powder and crazy glue to rebuild the height of the slot and re-cut it?  On the East Coast it's getting more humid in the Spring now, but I don't think that this is a truss rod issue, since it's definitely vibrating on the first fret.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Bone dust and superglue to build it up a hair would be the standard way of fixing this.

Yes, it should be a very cheap repair. Baking soda and CA glue. Takes 20min, tops (though you'll pay for a standard unit of labor). Just be careful where you take it as some techs make an absolute mess on the finish when doing this simple fix.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Isn't a replacement nut like under $10? Then get it cut fresh, rather than filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: Jamolay on May 19, 2022, 02:57:03 PM
Isn't a replacement nut like under $10? Then get it cut fresh, rather than filled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then, all the other slots need to be filed again, which is more than $10 because of labor. Usually cheaper to have the one low slot fixed.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I appreciate all the help and advice!  I ended up ordering some bone powder nut repair, thin consistency crazy glue and a nut file from stew mac, and this morning I was able to successfully raise the low E nut slot!! Ok, I can totally see how guitar repair can become addictive!  Good point about the nut replacement, Jamolay.  My OM is under a year old, so I'm too nervous about having the original nut knocked out and putting in brand new one.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09