Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: plastic bridge pins  (Read 253 times)
StringPicker6

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2022, 06:27:39 PM »

I just did some string changes on my 03-series and 40-series larrivees that are less than a year old, and they definitely have soft-ish plastic bridge pins. I can even see indentations where the string ball sits. I was under the impression that they would be bone. It’s not a big deal to me since I feel like most of the vibration goes through the bone saddle, but would anyone recommend getting some bone pins? I’m curious if it makes a big improvement in sound. The larrivee website sells some nice ones with abalone dots.

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
Fender Vintera Road worn 50's telecaster
nbs2005

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 06:36:16 PM »

I've noted plastic pins on my Forum VI. My SD-40 and OM-40 came with bone. There's a lot of conjecture on what's better or worse. I'll let others comment on what differences they hear.
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 07:14:40 PM »

Lots of folks hear lots of things...  some of which I don't.  In hmmm...  several years of playing, I have come to the conclusion that the mass of the pins is what makes a difference.  And, changing that mass can good or bad depending on the guitar.  Bone pins are (usually) a little heavier than plastic, but not significantly so.  Bone pins are relatively cheap (about the cost of a couple string changes) and easy to do.  Why not give it a go and see if you like the change?  They are certainly prettier (if you get close enough to get a good look at them).

Ed
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »

I've done a lot of comparisons with bridge pins. The influence varies on the instrument, the break angle, the relationship between the holes and pins, etc. On some guitars, it's moderate, on others it's more easily heard. The fit can really come into play.

I generally prefer bone or some other hard material, like ebony. Plastic just doesn't transfer resonance as well, at least in a musical context. Going the opposite direction and using brass can give a more biting, edgy response. If the instrument needs one extreme or the other, plastic or brass may work for you.

Whatever you get, make sure it's well crafted and fits your particular instrument well.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Koamon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 12:50:53 AM »

A cheaper alternative to bone are Tusq bride pins which I use for all my acoustics. I heard once that the density is more consistent than bone which may vary. Personally, I think that claim is like the counting angels on the head of a pin argument. I just like them because the ivoriod or black pins with abalone dots are cheaper than bone and look about the same. Or if price is no object, the fosisilized ivory bride pins are an option 

Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa

Composite Acoustics Cargo
Koamon

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 01:16:14 AM »

These are my Tusq bridge pins. Good string to bridge transfer, cheaper than good quality bone bridge pins and hard to tell the difference.

* IMG_5436.jpg (110.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 18 times.)

Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa

Composite Acoustics Cargo
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 10:32:30 AM »

Thanks for mentioning the tusq bridge pins, Koamon! I had a gibson acoustic once that came standard with them, and I did like them.  Some reviewers complain that the tusq pins didn't fit their guitars, but it looks like you had no problems using them on your Larrivee.  and those abalone inlays look beautiful!

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
Pilgrim

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 03:40:40 PM »

Size 1T bridge pins seem to fit well on later Larrivees.  And Graph Tech's Traditional TUSQ pins appear to be that size and seem to fit well.

OM-05, L-03WL
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 03:29:55 PM »

Larrivee uses industry standard 3-degree pins, so lots of options.

I had some nice boxwood ones I got from LMIi that matched the maple binding on my F-III.

LMIi has a nice selection.  Only downside is I think their shipping is kind of high.
https://www.lmii.com/144-bridge-pins-and-end-pins/s-19/taper-3_degree_slotted

Jamolay

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 06:39:39 PM »

I replaced the plastic pins in my OM2. Not for sound, I really can’t tell the difference. I just now know in my mind that the nut, saddle and pins are all bone. No plastic. Completely frivolous, but the pins are inexpensive and if you get them direct from Larrivee, you know they will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 11:07:21 AM »

On Friday my graphtech.com order of tusq bridge pins arrived and I installed them this morning.  I can't really tell if there is a major difference, but it does make a psychological change in my mind.  There is a big sound difference when I drop the plastic stock pins on a hard surface vs. the tusq pins.  The tusq ones tinkle like glass when dropped.  Overall, I'm happy with these new pins.  And graphtech threw in a free sample of different tusq picks, they are pretty cool!

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
czgunner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 12:13:58 AM »

For my D40 and OOO40, I bought bone pins from Larrivee's webpage. Fit and work great. I'm no sonic genius, but I'd say they sound good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Disabled veteran
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: