PM Issues

Started by Red Capo, April 07, 2022, 05:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

To awarsoca, who sent me a personal message: I don't understand this, but I am not allowed to initiate or reply to personal messages, which is somewhat frustrating when you have an ad running for a guitar you're trying to sell.  I addressed an email to admin@ and was notified immediately that it was rejected as spam. If anyone reading this has any suggestions for how I might deal with this, I should be able to see replies to this thread.

Wish I could help but I really don't know why you can't PM even though you have less than 10 posts. I looked the forum rules and this is what I found.  Perhaps one of the mods will be better able to explain.  Sorry.

Re: Larrivée Forum Rules **Please Read**
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »

Effective immediately,  Newbies with less than 10 posts can send and receive PMs.
This is being changed to afford greater ease of use for new Forum members, particularly for those engaged in trading on the Marketplace boards.
If problems arise as a result of this relaxation, the restriction will be reinstated.
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

I don't know of any reason why you can't send PMs.
I can't really get under the hood and mess with the code.
Recommend email communication.

Quote from: Queequeg on April 07, 2022, 07:41:51 PM
I don't know of any reason why you can't send PMs.
I can't really get under the hood and mess with the code.
Recommend email communication.
I did send an email asking for help. Sent it to the admin@ address listed for contacting the forum. Immediately received an email reply saying mine had been rejected as spam.

We did not receive your email message.
I apologize for the difficulty you have been experiencing. This is certainly not typical.
Our so-called "admin" rights are rather limited here.
My suggestion for you (lame as it may sound) is to post several more replies to topics.
You can simply post "test".
Thanks for your patience.

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2022, 08:12:00 AM

My suggestion for you (lame as it may sound) is to post several more replies to topics.
Is the idea to reach 10 posts? I can do that on this thread.

Quote from: Red Capo on April 08, 2022, 09:49:16 AM
Is the idea to reach 10 posts? I can do that on this thread.
There was a time when that was the case, but as Newstrings indicated, this was changed some time ago. The trouble if I can hazard a guess is that the site host was moved a few years back resulting in several changes regarding how this is managed.
Looking at the new user/post options there's nothing there which prohibits new users from sending PMs. I toggled a few of those settings in that section of the back end but I can't say with any certainty that it is "fixed".
It's as frustrating for me as a mod as it is for you.

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2022, 10:20:01 AM
There was a time when that was the case, but as Newstrings indicated, this was changed some time ago. The trouble if I can hazard a guess is that the site host was moved a few years back resulting in several changes regarding how this is managed.
Looking at the new user/post options there's nothing there which prohibits new users from sending PMs. I toggled a few of those settings in that section of the back end but I can't say with any certainty that it is "fixed".
It's as frustrating for me as a mod as it is for you.

I'll reply to this four times, which will put me at 10, and see if I can PM then. This one makes 7.

Quote from: Red Capo on April 08, 2022, 10:37:09 AM
I'll reply to this four times, which will put me at 10, and see if I can PM then. This one makes 7.
This one makes 8

Quote from: Red Capo on April 08, 2022, 10:37:09 AM
Nine

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2022, 08:12:00 AM
We did not receive your email message.
I apologize for the difficulty you have been experiencing. This is certainly not typical.
Our so-called "admin" rights are rather limited here.
This makes ten posts.

Quote from: Red Capo on April 08, 2022, 10:42:54 AM
This makes ten posts.
...for whatever this is worth to whoever is looking into this ...

After my 10th post, I went back to the PM I wasn't allowed to reply to and this time I was given a "Reply" option. So I did. I didn't get an error message, but my reply has not been posted to the thread, either.

Quote from: Red Capo on April 08, 2022, 10:50:39 AM
...for whatever this is worth to whoever is looking into this ...

After my 10th post, I went back to the PM I wasn't allowed to reply to and this time I was given a "Reply" option. So I did. I didn't get an error message, but my reply has not been posted to the thread, either.

PM's are not in "thread" form.  You reply and it sends a message to that persons inbox.  If you want a copy, there is a little box at the bottom for "send a copy to outbox" (or some such wording) that needs to be checked.

Hope that helps.

Ed

Thank you. The PM did get sent ... I heard back from the recipient. I will have to try to remember what you pointed out when I send PMs.