K &K pure mini

Started by johnr, March 12, 2022, 05:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hi i just purchased an OMV-03R  Larrivee. I think I know the answer but is it a safe bet that the k&k will work [installation wise ] for this guitar ? I have one in my Martin om28 and like it with a preamp . Thanks .

Yes, I have a K&k in my OM-03R.  No problem

They are the only pickups I'll install in a guitar that belongs to me. 

Ed

Thank you gentlemen! looking forward to playing some wineries with this guitar!

Quote from: johnr on March 12, 2022, 05:29:07 PM
hi i just purchased an OMV-03R  Larrivee. I think I know the answer but is it a safe bet that the k&k will work [installation wise ] for this guitar ? I have one in my Martin om28 and like it with a preamp . Thanks .
Just curious, what kind of preamp do you use?
I also like the pure mini.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Other than the obvious downside of often requiring either an external pre-amp or DI box, I really do like the sound out of the K&K.

The JJB 330 is another good option.  I really can't tell the difference between the JJB and the K&K

I'm also considering a K&K. I've heard some people say you don't need a preamp, but from other posts it sounds like it helps/is needed? I saw that K&K also offers a preamp on their website.  Other than volume, any big reason to use a preamp?
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: StringPicker6 on May 28, 2022, 05:31:16 PM
I'm also considering a K&K. I've heard some people say you don't need a preamp, but from other posts it sounds like it helps/is needed? I saw that K&K also offers a preamp on their website.  Other than volume, any big reason to use a preamp?

My experience...  going into a decent acoustic amp (Ultrasound, AER, Fishman, etc.) no preamp is needed, but they do give local (i.e. fingertip) control of eq and volume.  Usually, going into an Ultrasound AG50, I set eq and volume on the amp and all is fine.  Actually, the AG50, a K&K equipped guitar, and a decent dynamic mic (Shure SM58 or Audio OM5) and I'm set for a solo open mic.  Going into a mixer or typical electric guitar amp, an external preamp is a necessity.  The K&K Pure Preamp, Red Eye, or Baggs or many other 1-5Mohm input preamps are great.

Ed

Quote from: eded on May 28, 2022, 08:25:15 PM
My experience...  going into a decent acoustic amp (Ultrasound, AER, Fishman, etc.) no preamp is needed, but they do give local (i.e. fingertip) control of eq and volume.  Usually, going into an Ultrasound AG50, I set eq and volume on the amp and all is fine.  Actually, the AG50, a K&K equipped guitar, and a decent dynamic mic (Shure SM58 or Audio OM5) and I'm set for a solo open mic.  Going into a mixer or typical electric guitar amp, an external preamp is a necessity.  The K&K Pure Preamp, Red Eye, or Baggs or many other 1-5Mohm input preamps are great.

Ed
:+1:
My experience, as well.
But hey, try it w/o the pre-amp. Maybe you'll be pleased and that's all you'll ever need. Otherwise, the pre-amp will still be available to you.

Quote from: AZLiberty on May 28, 2022, 03:29:01 PM
Other than the obvious downside of often requiring either an external pre-amp or DI box, I really do like the sound out of the K&K.

The JJB 330 is another good option.  I really can't tell the difference between the JJB and the K&K

This has been my experience, too... and the JJB is cheaper...   :smile:
Bob

Larrivee Forum VI
Larrivee LS-09 DF

I just installed a K&K Pure Mini in my OM-60 and could not be happier. When used with my Fishman Loudbox Mini I do not see a need for a preamp. Feeding the output into my Qu-Pac mixer it seems to be lacking a bit of focus. I have an Apex Aural Exciter due to arrive later today and I am anxious to see how that works into the mixer. I do run the signal flat with no effects on in the mixer. Recording from the mixer into my DAW the pickup sounds great. I simultaneously recorded on a pair of Rode NT5 mics in X/Y configuration and the sound comparison was very consistent from either source.

Phil
Larrivee OM-60 SH
Beard Jerry Douglas Signature
Nechville Saturn
Kala Uke Bass
Kanile'a Super Tenor Ukulele
Samick L5 copy
Custom B Bender Tele