Do Larrivee satin finishes wear away/age?

Started by StringPicker6, January 12, 2022, 06:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: StringPicker6 on January 15, 2022, 07:07:51 PM
How much DID you pay?  :?
$400 via local CL.  It was basically unplayed and case-kept all those years.  I offered the guy $400 as sort of a joke.  He thought I was serious and shook on it.  So my son's first guitar (and last as far as he is concerned since he's not a gear-head) was a Larrivee.

Amazing price! The larrivee gods were kind to you that day. And the seller wasn't too smart.  :humour:
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

If we're doing this I'll offer my 11 year old Italian Spruce with a similar aged Sitka(?) spruce along with a 2 year old spruce.

I've always liked the lightish yellow tinge to the Italian Spruce. These all stay out on stands depending on the rotation . . .

And to stay on topic, I'll join the chorus on "Nah, Larrivee's satin finishes are bullet-proof"

And finally to offer that I've read that one of the Larrivee sons likes naptha to clean a satin finish of anything plain old water can't get rid of. I was surprised to see the typical arm burnish of the lower bout disappear after using some denatured alcohol. Turned out it was just a few years worth of skin oils leaving a bit of gloss there. . .

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Those are three beautiful guitars. I love the straight bridges on the smaller bodies, looks so clean.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09