Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Please ( P-03R , T-40R, and 0-40R )  (Read 50 times)
Alexrkstr

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2022, 01:48:57 PM »

Hi all, I can see the specs online and understand that the T is the smallest.

I'm considering buying a T-40R but I'm curious if it's 1) too small and 2) not a great strummer.
The application would be a couch guitar that I have laying around, it would replace my Taylor GS Mini.

What I like about the GS Mini is that is has the power to be strummed and it's great fingerpicked.
What I dislike about the GS Mini is that it has a small nut (I have large hands)

Will the T be too small? Would you recommend the 0 or the P otherwise?

If I could play one,  I would but unfortunately these are hard to come by, hence asking this forum.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 03:43:08 PM »

I don't know what would word for YOU, but the T-40R is a small guitar, and (I think) it's normally tuned up to G - so that's a consideration.

I had a GS Mini, and liked it pretty well. I only sold it because I just had too many guitars laying around, and I didn't reach for it as much as others. But the tone, volume and playability were fine.

The GS Mini has a shorter scale, so maybe you'd be happy with the Larrivee Parlor - with it's 24" scale length. I'm personally not a fan of the Larrivee Parlor (although I bought one for my daughter for her 14th b-d, and 20 years later, she still has it - her husband now plays it all the time). But all newer parlors have a 1 3/4" nut, so that would work for you.

If you want a little more oomph or power when strumming, you might want to check out the Larrivee 0-40R. It will have the longer (25.5") scale length, which will give it more power and clarity to the notes and (in my mind) make it both a better strummer and a more articulate finger-picker. It might have a little more bass than the parlor (with the 40 Series bracing), but without playing two guitars side by side, you wouldn't know for sure.

Good luck - and enjoy your search!

All guitars are left-handed:

1979 L-19
1988 L-04 (04 = 09 with Flamed Maple b&s)
1992 OM-05
2022 LS-03 Forum VI (Moon Spruce/Walnut)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 04:20:46 PM »

If you want a little more oomph or power when strumming, you might want to check out the Larrivee 0-40R. It will have the longer (25.5") scale length,

They are 24" scale.

https://www.larrivee.com/products/0-40r

Ed
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 04:25:51 PM »

Thanks for the correction - I didn't bother to check.

All guitars are left-handed:

1979 L-19
1988 L-04 (04 = 09 with Flamed Maple b&s)
1992 OM-05
2022 LS-03 Forum VI (Moon Spruce/Walnut)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:37:32 PM »

Like Mikey, I don't know what would work for you.   A difficult thing is access.  I'd want to try one before I committed.

The T is tuned to standard tuning.  A shorter scale and smaller body than the parlor (or O, which is the same size as a P, just different bracing), and 14 fret neck join.  

From the Larrivee "News" page...  "Larrivée has just launched our new and cleverly designed T-40 Mahogany and T-40R Rosewood pro travel guiitar. This six string tenor size guitar has a slightly smaller body than our Parlor and O-Body, featuring a custom 22.8" scale, full 14 frets to the body and built for standard tuning. There is no decreased body depth which gives this cannon lots of room to breathe. This is a real #tonegenerator that will blow away any other guitar in its size. For complete images and specs, click here."

I play a parlor as my main guitar so that's what I'd recommend.  A big thing I try to point out is, if you get a parlor (or T) and play it the same way as a Dreadnaught and expect the same sound...  you will be disappointed.  If you learn to play it to get what you want out of it, you'll be much more satisfied.  

Ed
Guzzijeff

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 05:00:35 PM »

I would recommend checking out a Larrivee 00… it does finger style and strumming well, has a 25.5” scale and a 1 3/4’ nut, and is only about 1 5/8” longer than the GS Mini. I own both a GS Mini and a Larrivee 00.
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 05:02:32 PM »

I’ve had my P-03 mahogany since November last year, and it’s not the best when it comes to heavy strumming. I like it more for intimate fingerpicking and softer strumming with my thumb.  When I give it heavier strumming with a pick, it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I didn’t buy it for that purpose anyway.

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
Fender Vintera Road worn 50's telecaster
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: