In search of a small bodied all hog

Started by Vid, January 12, 2022, 04:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy new year everyone,
I am in search of a small bodied mahogany 14 fret guitar. I have my eye on the Guild  OM 120, Also the Martin OO and OOO 15 and 17 series. My concern with the Martin guitars is that they are pure blues boxes which I don't want. I have a budget ceiling of $2,000. Your input would be appreciated thanks in advance  :coffee :donut

Go with the Guild or an old Gibson Like a B15 which I have and really like and most of all my first brand name guitar and my first repair.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

My advice would be to drop the preconceptions (Martin mahogany as pure blues, sorry but  :rolleye:)...  you make the guitar, not the other way around.  Close your eyes and go play every guitar you can and pick the one that feels and sounds right regardless of the headstock.

A short anecdote...  quite a while ago, thru some horse trading, I had accumulated a small (big for me at the time) sum and was out for a nice guitar.  I had pretty well settled (in my mind) on a Martin OO18 or something close.  I was sure I wanted mahogany/spruce small body Martin.  I spent 2 months going to every store within 50 miles of my house to try every guitar I could.  Finally, a shop a mile and a half from my house got a new shipment in and I tried a few...  one really caught my attention.  It was <gasp> a Taylor.  It had a spruce top, and a small body, but the back and sides were <double gasp> maple.  Two days later I went and bought that guitar.  It was my main guitar for a bunch of years.

Ed

Quote from: eded on January 12, 2022, 06:39:36 PM
My advice would be to drop the preconceptions (Martin mahogany as pure blues, sorry but  :rolleye:)...  you make the guitar, not the other way around.  Close your eyes and go play every guitar you can and pick the one that feels and sounds right regardless of the headstock.

A short anecdote...  quite a while ago, thru some horse trading, I had accumulated a small (big for me at the time) sum and was out for a nice guitar.  I had pretty well settled (in my mind) on a Martin OO18 or something close.  I was sure I wanted mahogany/spruce small body Martin.  I spent 2 months going to every store within 50 miles of my house to try every guitar I could.  Finally, a shop a mile and a half from my house got a new shipment in and I tried a few...  one really caught my attention.  It was <gasp> a Taylor.  It had a spruce top, and a small body, but the back and sides were <double gasp> maple.  Two days later I went and bought that guitar.  It was my main guitar for a bunch of years.

Ed

This is good advice, and a great story.

If you can, go play the Martin 15 Series StreetMaster 000-15M. These guitars have the "played in/worn" finish - which turns some folks off - but it's actually an advantage, because it's a thinner finish than the other 15 Series Martins, which makes for a livelier, louder instrument. I had a DSS-15 StreetMaster and it was a cannon!

Because of the DSS, I also tried a 000-15M StreetMaster, and it was a wonderful sounding guitar - and I played several others in shops that were similar; they sounded much better than the standard 000-15M on the wall hanger next to them. I sent it back only because my old hands didn't get along with the 1 11/16" nut and Modified Low Oval neck shape. I really tried to get along with that neck, because the guitar just sounded so good. But I had to be realistic; my hands aren't getting any younger.

They are wonderful guitars.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

If I were in the market for an all Mahogany 00, I would probably buy one of Ted's (LA Guitar Sales) custom 00-15 Martins with the Tort binding.

I agree with AZLiberty's suggestion on the 0015 custom especially if you don't want to wait. I played one a couple of years ago and should have bought it, but didn't. As Ed suggested, play everything you can and get the one you like best.

About 10 months ago, I priced out a Martin custom 00 all hog with sinker mahogany and still have the Spec sheet/quote saved. Then along came Mike from the Larrivee Forum last spring with an idea for for another Forum Guitar. I threw in my suggestions for an all hog with a 12 fret slotted headstock, then John Larrivee informed us that they had enough moonwood spruce and walnut to make up to 20 guitars with a 12 fret neck.  Options included adding a Venetian cutaway and a pickup. Decisions, decisions.

After a couple of weeks and with time running out, I jumped on the bandwagon and placed my order for a Forum VI. You might ask, why would someone looking for a smaller bodied all hog guitar buy an LSV W/ spruce and walnut? Here are three reasons:

1) The Forum VI offered a different combination of features that sounded interesting to me.
2) I was looking for a 6 string cutaway  to go with my first custom, an LV03 12 string with a hog top that I ordered in late 2005. While not exactly the same, the Forum VI encouraged me to jump onboard.
3) Based on the positive comments, photos, Mike's YouTube video and observations from several who already have their Forum VI, I am confident that I made a good decision to join in the fun.

As an unintended side benefit, I can always go back to Larrivee with my original ideas: 00, all hog, 12 fret slotted head stock with a short scale neck and order one. The Forum VI is my second Larrivee Custom and my fourth Custom overall. My first was a custom 4 string Dulcimer made of cherry from a guy my uncle knew in Pittsburgh. I also ordered my third custom, a 000 Martin in 2015 after three years of thinking about it.

In closing Vid, lean in and enjoy your search.

Quote from: AZLiberty on January 15, 2022, 02:24:26 AM
If I were in the market for an all Mahogany 00, I would probably buy one of Ted's (LA Guitar Sales) custom 00-15 Martins with the Tort binding.
I have on of Ted's Custom Martin 00-15 Gloss (3/4" nut width).  Great guitar and more versatile than one might think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A ooo15 has been my main acoustic for 7 years. Playing worship music, folk, and bluegrassy (sort of) stuff. No matter where we played, unplugged, miced, or plugged with an element pickup I've loved my tone and have always been complimented on my tone. Like every time. Not my playing though haha. And I don't even play the blues.

Hi all, Thanks to everyone for their productive comments on my continuous search! The challenge in today's market is to find enough guitars to actually play with all the logistical issues that are currently involving inventory issues... but as they say patience is a virtue. As we speak, the Martin OOO-15 is the front runner but you never know. I'll keep you in the loop as the search continues; that is part of the adventure!  :donut2 :coffee

Quote from: Vid on January 17, 2022, 12:28:46 PM

As we speak, the Martin OOO-15 is the front runner but you never know.

I already said it once, but I'll say it again, since you're seriously considering the Martin 000-15. The Martin 000-15 StreetMaster goes to 11. Seriously. Don't overlook it (just because of the cosmetics).

Thanks MikeyMac, The door is wide open including that Martin ooo-15 Street Master...thanks again :coffee :donut :donut

Just as we start discussing this, one of the Custom 000-15 models with tort binding is up on my local Craigslist.

Must resist...

Quote from: AZLiberty on January 20, 2022, 01:10:47 PM
Just as we start discussing this, one of the Custom 000-15 models with tort binding is up on my local Craigslist.

Must resist...

Oooo, that would be tough - good luck!  :bgrin:

Have you played a bunch of the little guitars? Is that the sound you want? I thought it was something I wanted and bought a Larrivee 00-05 some years back. Very resonant guitar with absolutely no build issues. But, in about a month that small mid-rangy sound kinda got to me and I stopped playing it. I later traded it for a larger body (concert) guitar and didn't regret it. But, that's the way it goes. You try and buy until something settles nicely in your ear. In my case a jumbo concert is my go-to now.

Quote from: Vid on January 17, 2022, 12:28:46 PM

I'll keep you in the loop as the search continues; that is part of the adventure!  :donut2 :coffee

We're "all ears" - waiting and wondering how the search is going...  :winkin:

Update... it's all about feel and sound. My Larrivee OM-03 and Guild Standard F30 R OM are perfect body shapes and tonality for what I enjoy playing. I've always wanted to own a good quality Martin so I'm currently looking at the OM-21. While I realize it is basically the same as my Guild, with solid East Indian rosewood back and sides, the Martin has an ebony fretboard and bridge that I'm a big fan of. I own a Taylor 810 so I have no interest in looking at their OM style guitar; 'just looking to spread the wealth! As mentioned before, the challenge is finding a local shop with, in this case, the OM-21 to play ...but patience is a virtue. The hunt continues  :coffee :donut2

Good luck, an OM21 is a nice guitar and very versatile. I jumping onto an online lesson with my OM35 in about 2 minutes.

And if you can find a Martin OM-28 to try, it should sound and feel pretty much identical to the OM-21; they're just different trim levels of the same body/woods/design.

Mikeymac, I have looked at the classic OM-28...the snowflake fretboard inlays just don't cut it for me or the upgrade, subjective, trim.
I really like the small dot inlays on the 21 and simple looks, everything else being equal.

Quote from: Vid on February 07, 2022, 10:03:32 AM
Mikeymac, I have looked at the classic OM-28...the snowflake fretboard inlays just don't cut it for me or the upgrade, subjective, trim.
I really like the small dot inlays on the 21 and simple looks, everything else being equal.

Right - I was just saying it might be easier to find one of the OM-28's to try to give you an idea of what the OM-21 would sound like/feel like. Then it might be easier for you to order one sight unseen

Just a heads up: older OM-21's (not sure when they changed) had Rosewood fingerboards and bridges; newer ones have Ebony. This DOES affect the tone a little bit; I had an older one (2004) with Rosewood, and I felt the guitar was lively and sounded a bit more open, with great volume. It's one of those I should've kept (how often have we all said that?!).