Pages: 1 ... 103 [104]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 436008 times)
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2060 on: July 20, 2021, 10:22:31 AM »

My favorite book of all time!  (A Gentleman in Moscow.)  Contemporary literary genius at work and I loved the characters.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2061 on: July 20, 2021, 01:33:32 PM »

Michael Connelly. Echo Park. More Bosch. I looked on line and I see that I can order a Yater t-shirt. Cool. Have a better one.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2062 on: July 21, 2021, 12:21:47 AM »

My favorite book of all time!  (A Gentleman in Moscow.)  Contemporary literary genius at work and I loved the characters.

I’m about 10% through. Enjoying it so far.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2063 on: July 25, 2021, 09:01:09 PM »

Mark Twain's MISSISSIPPI RIVER by Peter Schilling Jr.

This is an enjoyable Chronicle of Samuel Clemen's life and work.
pikkumatti

Ignore
« Reply #2064 on: July 31, 2021, 12:32:13 AM »

That’s one of my faves too.  By the same author,  I also recommend “Rules of Civility” (which I liked even more).

Speaking of Russia, I’m currently reading “Cancer Ward” by Solzhenitsyn.  For a pick-me-up 

Hooked

Ignore
« Reply #2065 on: August 04, 2021, 11:16:19 AM »

I have to thank you guys for turning me on to "A Gentleman in Moscow". I'd not heard of it or the author until last night. And now, I can't put it down!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #2066 on: January 16, 2022, 03:16:06 PM »

I just finished EVANGELLYFISH by Douglas Wilson, a fictional story about life in a mega-church.  It was pretty entertaining, and the writer has a very witty style and flair. 

I'm currently reading LIFE TOGETHER by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German theologian/pastor/scholar who was killed (mere days before the liberation of the camp he was held in) for his part in the plot to assassinate Hitler. 

I've decided to read heavily in the Old Testament this year, and I have a daily devotion-type book by Leo Tolstoy that I'm going through for a second time this year. 
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2067 on: January 16, 2022, 03:38:17 PM »

I have to thank you guys for turning me on to "A Gentleman in Moscow". I'd not heard of it or the author until last night. And now, I can't put it down!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Isn't it great?  I do love sharing a taste in excellence with someone. 
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2068 on: January 16, 2022, 04:09:17 PM »

I'm now reading Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis.

It is (to me anyway) an allegory of the existential "wrestling with God" or "the gods" in this case.  It mixes Christian imagery with Greek mythology and nary a word isn't symbolic.  But it isn't didactic, which is always more intriguing to me.
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2069 on: January 17, 2022, 02:09:10 AM »

I downloaded an audio book: “Where the deer and the antelope play” by Nick Offerman and listened to it on a cross country flight to Seattle. Very entertaining and thought provoking.

In addition to being an actor and a funny guy, he is also a woodworker and guitar player.

TEH

Larrivee Special Edition Flamed Maple Parlor
Larrivee LSV-03 Forum VI
Larrivee LV-03 Custom 12 string w/Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000 12 fret Custom
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Alvarez Artist AD60SB
Kala Soprano/Baritone Ukuleles
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2070 on: January 17, 2022, 06:52:24 PM »

I just finished EVANGELLYFISH by Douglas Wilson, a fictional story about life in a mega-church.  It was pretty entertaining, and the writer has a very witty style and flair.  

Douglas Wilson has written some good stuff - he will be off-putting to anyone who is not seriously orthodox, though.

I'm currently reading LIFE TOGETHER by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German theologian/pastor/scholar who was killed (mere days before the liberation of the camp he was held in) for his part in the plot to assassinate Hitler.  

If you haven't read it yet, the biography, BONHOEFFER: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxes is excellent. I learned a great deal about Bonhoeffer, and the sacrifices he made to try to stop Hitler, but I also learned WAY MORE about WW II than I ever learned in high school or college.

I've decided to read heavily in the Old Testament this year, and I have a daily devotion-type book by Leo Tolstoy that I'm going through for a second time this year.  

Do you have a title or link for that? That sounds interesting! Thanks!  

All guitars are left-handed:

1979 L-19
1988 L-04 (04 = 09 with Flamed Maple b&s)
1992 OM-05
2022 LS-03 Forum VI (Moon Spruce/Walnut)
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #2071 on: January 17, 2022, 08:28:36 PM »

Douglas Wilson has written some good stuff - he will be off-putting to anyone who is not seriously orthodox, though.

If you haven't read it yet, the biography, BONHOEFFER: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxes is excellent. I learned a great deal about Bonhoeffer, and the sacrifices he made to try to stop Hitler, but I also learned WAY MORE about WW II than I ever learned in high school or college.

Do you have a title or link for that? That sounds interesting! Thanks!  
Yes, Wilson is a controversial figure but still largely unknown.  I admire his scrappy disposition.  I hope to read that Bonhoeffer biography at some point.  I like Metaxas a lot.   Bonhoeffer’s LIFE TOGETHER was very good and it answered some stuff that I have needed help with for a long time (like almost 30 years).  This is one of the beautiful things about books: a man in the 1940s reaches across time and speaks to someone whose parents weren’t even born when the book was written. Amazing. 

Here is a link to Tolstoy’s Calendar of Wisdom.  Tolstoy was some type of Christian but this book borrows from many traditions and thinkers.  It’s a lot of fun to dig into of a morning.  
https://www.amazon.com/Calendar-Wisdom-Thoughts-Nourish-Selected/dp/0684837935/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3KXAIJYQVY3HF&keywords=tolstoy+calendar+of+wisdom&qid=1642451294&s=books&sprefix=Tolstoy+cal%2Cstripbooks%2C169&sr=1-1
Hooked

Ignore
« Reply #2072 on: January 18, 2022, 01:18:48 PM »

Two new (to me) books going along with the usual suspect...

The Overstory - a fascinating fiction read about the love of people for the earth and one another - ecology, ecoterrorism, devotion -something very new to me - and wonderfully written.

The Body Keeps the Score - a look into how trauma shapes us, and how to deal with lingering impacts. Not sure of this one yet.

Both came up in an online interview with one of my favorite musicians, Kray van Kirk. If you like great fingerstyle and storytelling, give him a listen at https://krayvankirk.com/

OM-40 SB
Seagull S6
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2073 on: January 18, 2022, 01:57:44 PM »

I've been reading 2... 

A 1970's book "America's Inland Waterway", about the Intracoastal Waterway on the east coast of the US.  It's put out by the National Geographic Society.  Doing this (and, the Great Loop) is a long time pipe dream of mine.  The Great Loop includes the Intracoastal and Gulf Waterways, the Mississippi River, Great Lakes, Canadian and Erie Canals, and the Hudson River.

And, "Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer".  Boys, don't forget to get your parts checked regularly.  And gir...  I mean women, get your parts checked regularly, too.

Ed
Hooked

Ignore
« Reply #2074 on: January 18, 2022, 01:59:23 PM »

I've been reading 2... 

A 1970's book "America's Inland Waterway", about the Intracoastal Waterway on the east coast of the US.  It's put out by the National Geographic Society.  Doing this (and, the Great Loop) is a long time pipe dream of mine.  The Great Loop includes the Intracoastal and Gulf Waterways, the Mississippi River, Great Lakes, Canadian and Erie Canals, and the Hudson River.

And, "Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer".  Boys, don't forget to get your parts checked regularly.  And gir...  I mean women, get your parts checked regularly, too.

Ed

Thanks for the reminder, Ed! 65th trip around the sun nearing completion. Flying Fickle Finger of Fate exam scheduled...

OM-40 SB
Seagull S6
Pages: 1 ... 103 [104]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: