Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baritone  (Read 708 times)
Jamolay

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2021, 12:40:31 AM »

Any one playing a Larrivee baritone? I am interested in a 12 fret Baritone, and the only forum posts are 15 or more years old. Curious what anyone thinks. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 02:06:51 AM »

I had a BT-03 (GoTM in Oct. 2012 or so) which I liked well enough but eventually sold because I hardly used it. I found that I rarely played it without a capo so now I just tune a dread down a step. Close enough. Definitely, for me, a niche instrument.   
Jamolay

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 04:08:19 AM »

Thanks! I will probably wait until I have more guitar experience. I love the idea of the baritone and love the sound, but maybe I put it in the “later if I learn to need it” file. I would not use words like “need”…”want” is more appropriate.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 05:06:43 AM »

Alvarez made a fairly inexpensive baritone a few years ago (might still?); maybe around $300-350 at MF or Sweetwater? It would be an inexpensive way to find out if you like the tone and will actually play one frequently...

Here you go: now $399 on Amazon.
Jamolay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 01:37:49 PM »

Good option! Thanks!

I do not need a new guitar, I do not need a new guitar, I do not need a new guitar…🤯

teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 03:51:56 PM »

Like Ducktrapper said, just tune a guitar down a Whole step.

That’s what I do with my D35 which has a more pronounced bass than a D18 or D28.

On the other end, I have my backpacker strung for Nashville Tuning plus my Larrivee Parlor capoed up to the 4th or 5th fret for treble notes. Don’t knock it til you try it.
markj

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 04:18:06 PM »

Like Ducktrapper said, just tune a guitar down a Whole step.

That’s what I do with my D35 which has a more pronounced bass than a D18 or D28.

On the other end, I have my backpacker strung for Nashville Tuning plus my Larrivee Parlor capoed up to the 4th or 5th fret for treble notes. Don’t knock it til you try it.

I have a set of Nashville Tuning strings but I have yet to try them. I was thinking the OO-40 would be the logical choice.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 04:31:08 PM »

Like teh, I generally use my D-35 tuned down a whole step. L-11 in standard, L-01 in Open G, D or DADGAD. I use my OM-01 for Nashville tuning. By the way, if you're going to fool around with high string tuning, you get two sets of strings in a 12 string package!   
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 05:53:38 PM »

If you want to really go for it with a standard guitar tuned down a whole step, you can order a set of

D'Addario EJ 18 Phosphor Bronze strings so that they won't be floppy and loose. I've tried these and it works pretty well.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 06:19:21 PM »

If you want to really go for it with a standard guitar tuned down a whole step, you can order a set of

D'Addario EJ 18 Phosphor Bronze strings so that they won't be floppy and loose. I've tried these and it works pretty well.

I have a set of those in my string box. Those were the first strings I tried on the baritone. Also an EXP23 baritone set .016 to .070. Sold the bari, kept the strings.
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 06:26:31 PM »

I don't have a baritone guitar, but I have played a couple Larrivees when they were available locally.
Baritones are very cool, maybe not worth the hassle as a solo instrument, but that is just me. The neck is just too long.
Where they could be most useful is playing along with a regular guitar but using different chord shapes.
Dropping the tuning on a regular guitar won't get you there, the closest I have come is open G tuning on a 12 string tuned down 1-1/2 steps playing along with a 6 string in standard tuning in key of E. Very nice sounding tuning combo. If one capoed up a step on the standard tuned guitar, one could then get to the 2-1/2 step relative difference between standard and baritone tunings, but I am not curious enough.
Mike
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 12:05:40 AM »

I had a lovely Larrivee Baritone, until a jaw dropping Oskar Graf 7 string in BZ came along.

The 7 string offers many cool possibilities, one]ce you get used to it,
BUT the coolest is, tuning the G string down to an F# and

VOILA!
 Baritone!

the low B is a real killer!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 01:17:21 AM »

the low B is a real killer!
That's what I'm talking about!
Dang, you are making me want to go explore this now....
Mike
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 06:11:14 PM »

Had a BT-03 a while back like ducktrapper.  I used it for a few recordings.  It's fun but it's like a 12 string, you just kinda lose interest.  You can clearly hear it on this track.

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=kj2BoBTja8I&feature=share

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 06:34:52 PM »

Had a BT-03 a while back like ducktrapper.  I used it for a few recordings.  It's fun but it's like a 12 string, you just kinda lose interest.  You can clearly hear it on this track.

Oh great! Thanks. Now I want my baritone back. Sounds great, by the way.   
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 07:01:07 PM »

Great track, illustrates just how I think a baritone can be well used.
I think we would all be interested in hearing the other recordings.
The one and only time I played a baritone along with someone was at Guitar Tex and I was fingerpicking the Larrivee baritone and John Ramirez grabbed another Larrivee and started picking along, probably the most fun 10 minutes I ever had there.
Mike
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »

I've had a baritone for a number of years now. It's great for somethings; not so great for others.
I always thought a baritone was better for single string and triads than for strumming, but that's just me.

Here's a short sample I recorded this morning (as mike in lytle requested more recordings).
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2021, 07:50:27 PM »

I've had a baritone for a number of years now. It's great for somethings; not so great for others.
I always thought a baritone was better for single string and triads than for strumming, but that's just me.

Here's a short sample I recorded this morning (as mike in lytle requested more recordings).
Pretty darn good for just whipping one off this morning. I like it. Thanks!
And it illustrates your point of using the B for single strings and picking.
Mike
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2021, 12:53:30 PM »

If I may ask, what brand of baritone is it?
Mike
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 04:29:58 PM »

Nice Mark. I have a recording with my baritone. I'll see if I'm techie enough to figure out how to post it. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: