Capo for OM60

Started by Phil42, November 14, 2021, 01:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all, while I am waiting ever so patiently for my new to me OM60 SH to arrive I am looking for a capo that will work well with my new guitar. Elliot capos are backordered until next year but the Kat Eyz I can order right now. Can anyone tell me whether the 2" or 2.2" width would work better on the OM60? The serial number that I received from the seller comes up as a 2004 model.

Thanks, Phil
Larrivee OM-60 SH
Beard Jerry Douglas Signature
Nechville Saturn
Kala Uke Bass
Kanile'a Super Tenor Ukulele
Samick L5 copy
Custom B Bender Tele

Sure, why not? Personally, I'd get a Shubb or a Planet Waves NS but if you want to spend a lot more, it's your money.  :beer

Quote from: Phil42 on November 14, 2021, 01:03:48 PM
Hello all, while I am waiting ever so patiently for my new to me OM60 SH to arrive I am looking for a capo that will work well with my new guitar. Elliot capos are backordered until next year but the Kat Eyz I can order right now. Can anyone tell me whether the 2" or 2.2" width would work better on the OM60? The serial number that I received from the seller comes up as a 2004 model.
Thanks, Phil
Phil,
KE capos are interesting.
The 2 inch will work if you only go as far as just behind the 6th fret. I just measured an OM with a 1-3/4 nut with a caliper, my other Larrivees are similar.
The fretboard radius on your 2004 is probably the 16-21 inch, after 2017 they are 16.
But I would wait till you get the guitar and measure it yourself to be sure.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I already have a couple of Shubb capos as well as a Paige or two and they work okay. I have Kat Eyz for my banjo and really do like it. I had a couple of Elliots for a banjo that had a flat fingerboard and they were simply outstanding. I really do prefer the yoke type capos and will definitely wait for the guitar to arrive before pulling the trigger on anything too expensive. Since this is my first Larravee I wanted to find out what was working well for other folks out there.

Thanks for the replies

Phil
Larrivee OM-60 SH
Nechville Saturn
Kala Uke Bass
Samick L5 copy
Custom B Bender Tele

I have a Shubb in every case and an extra in my music bag.  I have a couple others that I've collected along the way, but I never use them.  Pretty often, I'll lend those to people I'm jamming with and "forget" to take them back.

Ed

I probably have a eight or ten capos around here ranging from something that looks like a medieval torture device to various trigger types, to the beautifully designed NS capo, the nicely engineered G7 and others. I have found ones that don't work on every guitar or cause damage (mostly the trigger types). A basic Shubb is pretty reliable in my experience. Maybe that's why they've been around so long? This becomes like the search for the better mousetrap. Again, in my experience, they don't actually get much, if any, better but they do become fancier and more expensive.

Like ducktrapper, I've got a bunch of capos and I usually grab the Shubb

This just showed up in my in box. It's almost like they know what we're talking about or thinking, isn't it ? Spooky.
Anyway, fancy Shubbs and still under $30.00.

https://shubb.com/paua/

You may want to check and confirm what your Larrivee's fingerboard radius is. Older Larrivee's have a flatter radius (20 or 21 inches); Larrivee went to a straight 16" radius in November 2017 (according to their website). For some years before that, they had a compound radius (I think 16" to 21", but double check on that; an e-mail to Larrivee would be best).

Larrivee sells the Thalia capo, which comes with a set of radius inserts, so you can match the radius to your guitar's fingerboard. I have one of these, and it comes in handy when playing different Larrivees with different fb radii. Not cheap, but it will work on a vintage Strat (7 1/4" radius) all the way to a classical (basically flat radius).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I decided to go with the Thalia after reading such good reports on it. The radius is just too flat for my Shubb or my current Paige to work.

Thanks for all of the input, Phil
Larrivee OM-60 SH
Nechville Saturn
Kala Uke Bass
Samick L5 copy
Custom B Bender Tele

Call me crazy then. I've owned almost a dozen Larrivees and while I had trouble with some trigger type capos, a $30.00 Shubb has worked fine on every one of them. They tighten. I have not found any buzzing or unusual tuning problems. Not trying to talk anyone from buying hundred dollar capos ... just sayin'.  :?

A bit pricey however I have used G7th capos for quite awhile and love them.  I have the 2 series (one for six string and one for classical, different capo models).  They now have a 3 series for steel string which from what I have read may be a good upgrade but I personally will wait till I loose one which I seem to do often!

Quote from: dodgersblue on November 22, 2021, 04:01:38 PM
A bit pricey however I have used G7th capos for quite awhile and love them.  I have the 2 series (one for six string and one for classical, different capo models).  They now have a 3 series for steel string which from what I have read may be a good upgrade but I personally will wait till I loose one which I seem to do often!

I like my G7 too but I don't know where it is! They are nicely engineered and work well and are the only one handed capo that I know of so there's that. My only criticism with the one I have is that it makes the guitar slightly neck heavy. I understand that the newer ones are lighter.

I just discovered (on another forum) that some people are willing to pay upwards of $35 for a guitar pick. In 55 years of playing, I doubt I've spent much more than that for all the picks I've ever owned and I couldn't tell you how many I've lost. I'm not saying they're not the best picks ever. Heck, they'd better be!  :laughin:

Just got my Thalia delivered and I gotta say, what a great capo. A tad on the heavy side but it sure was nice to be able to match the capo radius to the fretboard radius. The guitar stayed perfectly in tune no matter what fret I placed it on. I honestly cannot say that has ever worked out for me with a Shubb or any of the shubb copies. I always thought they came up a little sharp to my ears. The only thing I have had that was any better was an Elliot capo for my banjo. Another nice thing is that the guitar sounded pretty much the same tone wise with or without the capo. It was worth the money to me, maybe not for everyone.

Phil
Larrivee OM-60 SH
Nechville Saturn
Kala Uke Bass
Samick L5 copy
Custom B Bender Tele

I've been using a roll-on Paige capo on my Larrivee for well over a decade and love it.  It rolls behind the nut when not in use and is never in the way.  YMMV.

I have never used a Paige roller capo. I do have a Paige guitar capo that I use on my Taylor but the radius of it was just not working on the Larrivee. I also have a Paige for the banjo but normally use a Kat Eyz on it. Use whatever works for you.

Phil
Larrivee OM-60 SH
Nechville Saturn
Kala Uke Bass
Samick L5 copy
Custom B Bender Tele