PV-09. Anybody got one?

Started by Ron N, November 11, 2021, 08:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been wanting one of these for a few years and had a chance to play one sometime ago now.  Any thoughts from those who may have or have owned one?  Strengths?  Weaknesses?

I have a PV-03 Rosewood and love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's really a mixed bag. Some people like the Parlors, others find them "boxy" sounding. I'm in the latter group, however, I'm sure there are Parlors that I would like. (I bought my daughter one for her 14th birthday, and 21 years later, she still has it - it now mostly gets played by her husband.)

I'm not a fan of the shorter 24" scale - I think that contributes to the boxiness in the sound. Larrivee has made a few 24 3/4" parlors; I'd love to try one of those. Some who have played them say it addresses the boxy tone issue... I don't know that from first hand playing/hearing.

:coffee :donut
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I have had a P-09 and have found the PV-03 to sound better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A PV-09 in the right hands (search for Larry Pattis on YouTube) is a truly wondrous thing.  Only you can decide what works for you. 

Personally, I prefer mahogany.  I also prefer Larrivee parlors (24" scale, 12 fret neck, smaller body).  But what works for me doesn't matter.

IMO, If you approach a small body short scale guitar the same way as a longer scale bigger guitar, you'll be disappointed.  If you can tweak your technique to get what you want out of a given guitar, you'll be happier.

Ed

Thanks!  I appreciate your thoughts and checked our Larry Pattis.  Very nice.  Time will tell as to how I will settle on this.

yep, a beauty.
I preferred the OM-60 SH from there other post for live gigs tho.

Im hoping this is the model in question?
lovely, but for obvious reasons, the small body size with cutaway, regardless of the tone woods, doesn't really bring a lot of depth or sustain to the table.

just my 23 cents with if it matters.

CD cover shot for me, can post later when I find it.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I appreciate the thoughts.  I'm not sure where this will eventually land for me.  I am aware of the limitations of the smaller body etc for tone, but I am drawn to the comfort and size of this model.  i am thinking that I may have a luthier friend to build something inspired by this, but with an archtop and  pick up for jazz practice and performance.  We'll see.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.  I am thinking about flamed maple sides and back, spruce top with classic 57 pickup (possibly).  I like p90's as well.  It will take me a few months to save up.  I will keep you all posted!

I've wanted to try one of these, but have not found one local to look at. Small bodied guitars can have some limited sound options in my opinion. For me an OM or 000 seems to make more sense.

My first Larrivee was a non cutaway special edition Flame Maple Parlor, which came from a run of 100.

I added a hard shell case and since it is my son's favorite guitar, it spends a lot of time at his house. The short scale and clean lines are perfect for fingerstyle blues and it's a great travel guitar when my Backpacker or baritone uke won't cut it.