My First Larrivee & hello 2 forum!

Started by mgood1845, October 19, 2021, 12:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: mgood1845 on October 22, 2021, 03:13:04 PM
Thank You all for the kind words I am certainly in love with this guitar and.... I am already looking for another! :roll

What should my next body size / Shape be? I love small bodies because i have always felt a dread or om makes my shoulder feel awkward when playing, any Suggestions for a slight difference would be appreciated!

Does anyone own a Larrivee with the Italian Alpine Spruce tops? The tops that came from Cremona Italy! I'd love to hear what you think and see them! I wish i was smart enough to find the Larrivee brand before the folks at Wildwood Music retired, it looked like they had a bunch of unique Larrivees!

Order a OO-40 with an Alpine Spruce Top. I have an LV-10 50th Anniversary with Alpine Spruce top and just love it. My OO-40 has a sitka spruce top but I love it too!

Here they are hanging out with a nicely aged P 09 friend of theirs. ;)

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: mgood1845 on October 22, 2021, 03:13:04 PM

Does anyone own a Larrivee with the Italian Alpine Spruce tops? The tops that came from Cremona Italy! I'd love to hear what you think and see them! I wish i was smart enough to find the Larrivee brand before the folks at Wildwood Music retired, it looked like they had a bunch of unique Larrivees!

I did a spruce top comparison pic a while back to show how my Italian Spruce top has kept it's creamy light tone. The center OO-05 came from Wildwood.

FYI - I've finally decided to let two of my OO's go, so lemme know if you're in the market for either a rosewood OO-03 or a mahogany OOV-03. I did some lockdown shopping over the last two years and ended up with satin and gloss versions of spruce/rosewood and spruce/mahogany. Ridiculous to keep all 4 so the satins are gonna be on Reverb soon.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on October 23, 2021, 07:06:53 AM
I did a spruce top comparison pic a while back to show how my Italian Spruce top has kept it's creamy light tone. The center OO-05 came from Wildwood.

FYI - I've finally decided to let two of my OO's go, so lemme know if you're in the market for either a rosewood OO-03 or a mahogany OOV-03. I did some lockdown shopping over the last two years and ended up with satin and gloss versions of spruce/rosewood and spruce/mahogany. Ridiculous to keep all 4 so the satins are gonna be on Reverb soon.

Wow, the Italian Spruce looks amazing! How do you like the sound? How does the Italian Spruce compare to Moon Spruce? I would love to see if there is a major difference or if it is not much of one.  As of now I'm trying to decide between a LS or a 00, and I am trying to read the differences. Would anyone suggest a custom shop order?   

Quote from: mgood1845 on October 27, 2021, 08:27:33 PM
Wow, the Italian Spruce looks amazing! How do you like the sound? How does the Italian Spruce compare to Moon Spruce? I would love to see if there is a major difference or if it is not much of one.  As of now I'm trying to decide between a LS or a 00, and I am trying to read the differences. Would anyone suggest a custom shop order?   

Scroll up!   :roll

I suggested you order a custom OO with Alpine Moon Spruce.  The LV-10 in the center has an Alpine Moon Spruce top.  The OO-40 on the left has sitka spruce :beer
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on October 27, 2021, 10:55:54 PM
Scroll up!   :roll

I suggested you order a custom OO with Alpine Moon Spruce.  The LV-10 in the center has an Alpine Moon Spruce top.  The OO-40 on the left has sitka spruce :beer

I saw your post! What wood was used on your OO's back and sides? How does the P compare to the OO? I think that the P and O are the same size guitar? (Could be wrong there, just the P has "fancier appointments?")

For the back and sides of a OO with a Alpine Moon Spruce top, what would you suggest?

IF I get any custom guitar, I am gonna order one with that Pyramid Bridge (That thing just looks so classy)

Quote from: mgood1845 on October 28, 2021, 08:42:43 AM

How does the P compare to the OO? I think that the P and O are the same size guitar?

The P/parlor body is smaller than the 00 body - and the parlor has a 24" scale length, while the 00 has a 25.5" scale length. Very different critters.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: mgood1845 on October 28, 2021, 08:42:43 AM

I saw your post! What wood was used on your OO's back and sides? How does the P compare to the OO? I think that the P and O are the same size guitar? (Could be wrong there, just the P has "fancier appointments?")

For the back and sides of a OO with a Alpine Moon Spruce top, what would you suggest?

IF I get any custom guitar, I am gonna order one with that Pyramid Bridge (That thing just looks so classy)

The OO-40 in the photo has Mahogany back and sides. The OO (left) is larger than the P-09. The P-09 in the photo is Australian Lace Wood back and sides and a nicely aged sitka spruce top.  The OO-40 had a pyramid bridge originally. It lifted and Larrivee replaced it with that beautiful Vine inlay bridge for me.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on October 27, 2021, 10:55:54 PM

I suggested you order a custom OO with Alpine Moon Spruce.

After hearing the most recent OO-40 that Ron posted I think that is the direction I should go too!  :cheers so thanks a bunch Mark!  The OO shouldn't be much bigger than my O but it sounds great too. I was originally looking at the P sizes, but...that OO sounds great.  I contacted a local dealer for pricing or can one just work with the folks at Larrivee directly for a custom shop order?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Quote from: mgood1845 on October 28, 2021, 07:48:29 PM
After hearing the most recent OO-40 that Ron posted I think that is the direction I should go too!  :cheers so thanks a bunch Mark!  The OO shouldn't be much bigger than my O but it sounds great too. I was originally looking at the P sizes, but...that OO sounds great.  I contacted a local dealer for pricing or can one just work with the folks at Larrivee directly for a custom shop order?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

I would call Larrivee direct if you don't have a local dealer.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on October 28, 2021, 08:11:48 PM
I would call Larrivee direct if you don't have a local dealer.

I didn't see a phone number listed on their website, I was working with a local group here in Pittsburgh, but was losing confidence when they said to me that the I meant "Moon Spruce" when I was referring to the "Italian Alpine Spruce" tops.

If anything it would be a start to get me to someone who has fair prices for a custom shop OO (You convinced me Mark!) Any recommendation for a good Custom shop build experience would be great!

Quote from: mgood1845 on October 29, 2021, 12:19:20 PM
I didn't see a phone number listed on their website, I was working with a local group here in Pittsburgh, but was losing confidence when they said to me that the I meant "Moon Spruce" when I was referring to the "Italian Alpine Spruce" tops.

If anything it would be a start to get me to someone who has fair prices for a custom shop OO (You convinced me Mark!) Any recommendation for a good Custom shop build experience would be great!

Italian Alpine Spruce is "Moon" Spruce.

Look on Page 2 of the Custom Price List.
https://www.larrivee.com/pdfs/Custom%20Option%20Pricing_v6.pdf

It is listed as "European Alpine Moon Spruce"

Try Dave's Woodstock Music.

https://www.daveswoodstockmusic.com/about-us.html
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: markj on October 29, 2021, 01:12:50 PM
Italian Alpine Spruce is "Moon" Spruce.

Try Dave's Woodstock Music.

https://www.daveswoodstockmusic.com/about-us.html

Now, the big question Rosewood or Mahogany for the OO? Considering my O has Padauk Back and Sides.

I would go Mahogany or American Walnut. The only reason I say American Walnut is, that they are using it on our Forum VI guitars and Matt Larrivee loves it.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Markj I am a woodworker and was Lucky Enough to win a door prize of some Absolutely Stunning Walnut from the Saw Mill I buy my lumber from. I have attached Photos, Do you think Matt Larrivee would enjoy making a guitar with it, it is the American Walnut you speak of.  There probably is enough for several bodies! It is so curly because it is the compression curl form the base of the log. This crotch section was extremely figured! It almost looks like fiddleback maple. It wasn't big enough for me to make a table with but a guitar, I think that would be pretty cool.

That's some gorgeous walnut!
Here's my personal perspective on my guitars and their tone woods. My first Larrivee, purchased from Wildwood Music, was a special run of Italian Alpine Spruce topped guitars. Mine was an LV-03RE-IAS. What a wonderful guitar, and the top just got better and better sounding to my ears. So good, in fact, that I gave it to a son. It didn't hurt though, as I'd bought an OM-40M that I loved, as well. Then I was able to acquire an older O-01 Walnut. So, my Larrivees were an Alpine Spruce rosewood, a spruce/mahogany, and a spruce/walnut. What's not to love, right? Well, since ordering what I expect will be the perfect combination, the Forum VI Moonwood/Walnut, I will say it seems like a marriage of woods made in heaven, or at least a Larrivee shop.  I'm also fortunate to have 2 of their increasingly rare F-33 mandolins, which are just really really sweet mandolins.
So moonwood over walnut gets my vote! Good luck! 
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: mgood1845 on November 04, 2021, 03:18:41 PM
Markj I am a woodworker and was Lucky Enough to win a door prize of some Absolutely Stunning Walnut from the Saw Mill I buy my lumber from. I have attached Photos, Do you think Matt Larrivee would enjoy making a guitar with it, it is the American Walnut you speak of.  There probably is enough for several bodies! It is so curly because it is the compression curl form the base of the log. This crotch section was extremely figured! It almost looks like fiddleback maple. It wasn't big enough for me to make a table with but a guitar, I think that would be pretty cool.

WOW! Those boards look amazing. I would try to get in touch with them by filling out the form on the website at: https://www.larrivee.com/contact

There is place to include photos so send the photos of those gorgeous boards and see what happens.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: Riverbend on November 04, 2021, 04:30:18 PM
So moonwood over walnut gets my vote! Good luck! 

That seems to be a unanimous vote!!!  European Moonspruce over walnut. I think ill do it...really appreciate your input owning the rosewood and the mahogany versions as well.

Quote from: mgood1845 on November 04, 2021, 06:00:33 PM
That seems to be a unanimous vote!!!  European Moonspruce over walnut. I think ill do it...really appreciate your input owning the rosewood and the mahogany versions as well.

I contacted Dave's Woodstock as you suggested, I missed his call yesterday and he missed my call today. Hopefully we can put these boards too good use! Who knows, maybe there will be enough wood leftover for others in the forum for a "mini forum post" run  :cheers

Just to keep all who are interested up to date, I sent over more detailed photos of the Curly Walnut boards to the kind folks at Larrivee and they are reviewing! I Hope to hear back from them soon! I will certainly keep you all posted! Many thanks for everyone here for taking the time to answer my questions and add suggestions for what I should be looking at! Now, I understand the excitement over the Forum Guitar build! What a great unique experience!