Your favorite 00 or 000

Started by Cachecropp, October 13, 2021, 08:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I recently sold my Larrivee dreadnought that I had for 12 years. I loved that guitar but since I play pretty much exclusively at home, and have 4 kids and a dog, I found myself playing my little Martin travel guitar more often, because of the size.  The Martin is what I take on business trips so if a play in hotel rooms and the HPL body is low maintenance.

Now I'm looking for a 00 or 000 guitar below $2k and probably on the used market.  I prefer mahogany, walnut or sapele and would consider spruce or mahogany tops. 

I play finger style most often.  My little Martin has 1-11/16 nut, same as my Larrivee had.  However, the Martin has 2-1/8 string spacing which I find too cramped compared to the 2-3/16 the dread had. 

Has anyone found a Larrivee that you believe is exceptional in this category?

(have also been looking at Martin 000-15SM and Gibson L-00 among others)
"Love your body Larry" Fletch

Quote from: Cachecropp on October 13, 2021, 08:12:27 AM
I recently sold my Larrivee dreadnought that I had for 12 years. I loved that guitar but since I play pretty much exclusively at home, and have 4 kids and a dog, I found myself playing my little Martin travel guitar more often, because of the size.  The Martin is what I take on business trips so if a play in hotel rooms and the HPL body is low maintenance.

Now I'm looking for a 00 or 000 guitar below $2k and probably on the used market.  I prefer mahogany, walnut or sapele and would consider spruce or mahogany tops. 

I play finger style most often.  My little Martin has 1-11/16 nut, same as my Larrivee had.  However, the Martin has 2-1/8 string spacing which I find too cramped compared to the 2-3/16 the dread had. 

Has anyone found a Larrivee that you believe is exceptional in this category?

(have also been looking at Martin 000-15SM and Gibson L-00 among others)

For me, it would be a 00 (or 00V) with 25.5" scale or a parlor (P, PV, or 0) if you can do the 24" scale.   

But what works for me may or not work for you.  If you can get ahold of any of them, get out there and try them.

Ed

I've looked at music stores in a 2 hour radius and only found one Larrivee which was another dreadnought. 

The 00-03 does have 2-1/4" string spacing which I think would be ideal.  The 000-03MT looks very intriguing but the nut is 1-13/16.  I would definitely have to try that before buying one.

Thanks for the reply.

I feel that there's a big difference between a 000 and 00 so I'd recommend starting out by determining which you really want. I feel that a 000 still has a "big guitar" sound because of the lower chamber. A 00 is a smaller, more direct and intimate sound.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

That's good to know.  I would lean towards the 000, maybe even OM.  I am basically a one guitar man.  My little Martin is really only intended for business trips.  I want a "play everything" guitar that stays home 99% of the time, has wider string spacing than 2-1/8" at the saddle, is not Rosewood and has a full sound.

I played a Martin 000-15M locally and liked the sound, but the string spacing was also 2-1/8".  Ive listened to a few videos, wearing Bose headphones, where they compare the 000-15M to the 000-15SM and while they are very similar, I liked the SM better.  So I would feel comfortable buying that one sight unseen. 

However after having an awesome Larrivee as my every day guitar for over 10 years, I would love to fill this empty void with another Larrivee.

Saw a Larrivee OM-03 Walnut on CL.  That looks very interesting.

Quote from: Cachecropp on October 13, 2021, 11:39:11 AM
The 00-03 does have 2-1/4" string spacing which I think would be ideal.  The 000-03MT looks very intriguing but the nut is 1-13/16.  I would definitely have to try that before buying one.
You might consider looking at the 000-40, which has a 1-3/4 nut, if you like 12 fret guitars.
Also might consider the OM-03 which the body size is very close to the 000, and in mahogany would be a few bucks less than a 12 fret or 40 series.
I have two OM's myself, the rest of mine are L-bodies, which sound a wee bit more lush, but all excel for fingerpicking.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I do like 12 fret guitars. Moving 000-40 to the top of the list.  Thanks.

I love my OO-40.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

I have two 12 fret guitars (both short scale) including my Larrivee Parlor and my 000 Custom Martin and both get a lot of playing time. I ordered a Forum VI in late June as a companion to my 12 string because of the body style and Venetian cutaway.

While it would be unlikely that the parlor size would meet your needs, don't rule it out if you haven't played one.

Good luck with your search.

I also just play around the house. I found I liked the sound of an OO over a parlor and size of the OO over the OOO. There seem to be more wood combinations in the OO as well.  I have a OO with a cedar top and koa back and sides.  If you play more with your fingers you should consider a cedar top.

Good luck with your search.

Quote from: markj on October 14, 2021, 10:55:04 PM
I love my OO-40.
I miss that one Mark 😂

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote from: Strings4Him on October 15, 2021, 08:31:50 PM
I miss that one Mark 😂

It's played every day my friend. It will never leave me.  It hangs right behind my desk and I just reach for it whenever the spirit moves me.  :guitar :beer

I routinely switch between it and the LV-10 to keep my fingers used to the different sizes.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on October 15, 2021, 10:09:28 PM
It's played every day my friend. It will never leave me.  It hangs right behind my desk and I just reach for it whenever the spirit moves me.  :guitar :beer

I routinely switch between it and the LV-10 to keep my fingers used to the different sizes.
👍😀

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, my OM-03 is a perfect guitar, both body size and tonality, for all types of playing, especially finger style! :coffee :donut2

I am just loving my 00-40 and have posted a few clips.  Here is my most recent clip.  The tone of this guitar rivals my OM-60, which I have loved and gigged with for about 15 years.  Just amazing guitars, really.

https://youtu.be/7udGfkc7qVE

Ron N

Hi Ron,

That was beautiful to listen to. 

Nice post Ron, thanks for sharing.

Hey Cachecropp!
I've got a sweet sounding 00-40FW (Flamed Walnut w/Moon Spruce top 12 fret). I hate the thought of parting with it, but I've got a Forum VI on order and my finances don't justify adding without subtracting. Here's a link to the original posting:   https://reverb.com/item/4751819-larrivee-custom-00-40-fw-flamed-austrian-walnut-with-moonwood-top    Let me know if it's something that interests you.