50th Anniversary Fret level, dress and polish

Started by markj, October 09, 2021, 04:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

After 4.5 years of multi hour playing on a daily basis, the frets on my LV-10 50th Anniversary, needed to be leveled, dressed and polished.

More than just the first position needed this, as I use the entire neck when I play.

The technician is Bill Hatfield, of the Janesville Hatfields. He's the real McCoy.  :winkin:

Photos will show the extent of the wear, the process, and the results. In the final photos you can see the reflection of the strings in the polished surface of the frets.

Bill did a stellar job and I am very grateful to have him as a friend and expert guitar technician/luthier.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Is that a slight center crack I see or just a trick of the light and grain?

Not a crack. This guitar is pristine. No dings, scratches or cracks. Been properly humidified since it arrived here when new.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Very nice,I assume that the black in the divits is from blackening all the frets.I don't tap off the wood when I do my work but just  beautiful work manship. :bowdown:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Nice to see a 50th getting played enough to need a fret level already!  :thumb
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: unclrob on October 09, 2021, 07:47:40 PM
Very nice,I assume that the black in the divits is from blackening all the frets.I don't tap off the wood when I do my work but just  beautiful work manship. :bowdown:

I'm not sure. I think Bill darkens the divots with a fine point marker to judge when he has taken enough off of the frets to start dressing. I will ask him.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

Quote from: B0WIE on October 09, 2021, 08:05:51 PM
Nice to see a 50th getting played enough to need a fret level already! 
I am also impressed. I think many folks would try to preserve the guitar by playing it less. I also imagine the many hours of playing have helped the guitar develop a nice tone. It takes a lot of playing to wear frets like that. We know you are a quite good player... looking at fret wear by a single player over several years on one guitar is like, pretty cool.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: markj on October 09, 2021, 07:18:10 PM
Not a crack. This guitar is pristine. No dings, scratches or cracks. Been properly humidified since it arrived here when new.

Glad to hear it. Very nice.

Quote from: B0WIE on October 09, 2021, 08:05:51 PM
Nice to see a 50th getting played enough to need a fret level already!  :thumb

It sure is - I don't think I had mine out of the case a dozen times  :blush:

Quote from: mike in lytle on October 10, 2021, 09:32:09 AM
I am also impressed. I think many folks would try to preserve the guitar by playing it less. I also imagine the many hours of playing have helped the guitar develop a nice tone. It takes a lot of playing to wear frets like that. We know you are a quite good player... looking at fret wear by a single player over several years on one guitar is like, pretty cool.
Mike
:+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: mike in lytle on October 10, 2021, 09:32:09 AM
Mike

Yea, I'd venture to guess it's among the best sounding 50'ths out there based on the amount of break in time it's had.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 10, 2021, 05:53:26 PM
It sure is - I don't think I had mine out of the case a dozen times  :blush:
:+1:

My philosophy on this subject is basically, who or what are you saving it for?  I bought this guitar for me. I intend to get my money's worth out of it. Why save it for someone who didn't pay for it?  

Play it!   :guitar :nana_guitar

p.s. I mean that in the nicest way possible.  :donut :donut2 :coffee :cheers
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI