Youtube or not

Started by unclrob, October 07, 2021, 08:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My son today ask if he could video me doing repairs to post on youtube as he feels what I know will help others.I told no as I'm not into be flamed or attacked for my old school ways.He's afraid my knowledge will be lost and would be helpfull to up and coming tech's.I do have a young man that I'm showing the way to the insanity of being a tech.So he asked me to see what others think so I thought of this group loonies and a few others what they thought.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on October 07, 2021, 08:09:53 PM
My son today ask if he could video me doing repairs to post on youtube as he feels what I know will help others.I told no as I'm not into be flamed or attacked for my old school ways.He's afraid my knowledge will be lost and would be helpfull to up and coming tech's.I do have a young man that I'm showing the way to the insanity of being a tech.So he asked me to see what others think so I thought of this group loonies and a few others what they thought.

It's youtube.  What's the worst that could happen?  I'm betting you'd have tougher skin than anything anyone might throw at you.  I'd think for every person who poopoos you, 10 will say thanks...  if you can get 11 people to watch.

Just my 2 cents.

Ed

Do it. You post info here so I can tell you want to help others. As far as YT trolls go, just disable comments and likes if you prefer. I see a lot of people do this when they want to share info but don't want to deal with trolls. The negative is that you don't get to hear the appreciation or interact with the community. But, whatever makes you more comfortable. FWIW, your video gets promoted more if there's comments or likes/dislikes. Even if people give it a thumbs down, it counts in the YT algorithm and gets pushed up higher in search results.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I would be interested in your "old school" ways. I promise to be nice, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worse case scenario, you just post IN BOLD Type, these are YOUR methods, and work for YOU.
And ultimately, unless they PAID, they have no right to complain if, they didn't agree.  :bgrin:

I'd like to see some vids from someone who's *been there, done that* !
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

I say go for it.  :+1: Ted Woodford is a good example of doing it your own way. He also does not look at the comments as a personal choice, probably for the best. We need more people like you sharing your craft.

https://www.youtube.com/user/twoodfrd

OM-01

Well, it isn't like you are camera shy or anything.
You have done this before, I remembered and looked for it....

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=54009.0
An interview with you in your shop.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I just re watched that video lots to think about now.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Hi Rob,

I see people flame the best of youtube videos on all sorts of topics.  Then the commenters flame the flamers.  People like to attack, people like to defend.  You do have a lot to offer.  I hope you do make the video. 

Its really not the flaming that gets me I just have a very low button for stupid and sometimes I can't help myself.Thiers also legal stuff to deal with like someone mess's up there guitar and blame me and send layers guns and other what not after me.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Willynelson13 great vid's seems like years of recording i have a hard time remembering to just take's pix.Plus I hoping the boy gets full time work not just a day here and there.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

From reading you several years, I know you have well thought out viewpoints on aspects of maintenance. Two of which I think of right away are "fret work" and "bridge work", and maybe your first two videos could be about those. You could cover each of these in five minutes.

Some thoughts, after which I will go away...

"I just have a very low button for stupid and sometimes I can't help myself."
Well then, don't just put a camera on record and go for it with some sort of unorganized free flow dialogue. Your words need to be written down ahead of time so that you do not go out of control by accident. Script it out.

"Thiers also legal stuff to deal with like someone mess's up there guitar and blame me"
Explain that your video is not a "how to" guide, but rather what an experienced tech might do to address a specific issue, offering thoughts the viewer might not know about those issues.

"Plus I hoping the boy gets full time work not just a day here and there."
I think you are talking about your son, hopefully. The video will be a good experience in scripting dialogue, in shooting raw video, in taking digital pictures, in lighting, in sound recording, and in the final video production editing, including captions and whatever. A chance to do pro quality work.
If, however, you are talking about the helper you are training, I would not confuse things by using the videos as advertisement for services, whether you or the helper would be providing those services.

Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on October 09, 2021, 02:18:39 PM
From reading you several years, I know you have well thought out viewpoints on aspects of maintenance. Two of which I think of right away are "fret work" and "bridge work", and maybe your first two videos could be about those. You could cover each of these in five minutes.

Some thoughts, after which I will go away...

"I just have a very low button for stupid and sometimes I can't help myself."
Well then, don't just put a camera on record and go for it with some sort of unorganized free flow dialogue. Your words need to be written down ahead of time so that you do not go out of control by accident. Script it out.

I'm thinking maybe he meant his reactions to stupid in comments left.  People can say bizarre stuff in comments. 

"Thiers also legal stuff to deal with like someone mess's up there guitar and blame me"
Explain that your video is not a "how to" guide, but rather what an experienced tech might do to address a specific issue, offering thoughts the viewer might not know about those issues.

Yeah, a disclaimer (graphic, or spoken) at the beginning of any video about it being your experience, and your millage may vary. 

Ed

"Plus I hoping the boy gets full time work not just a day here and there."
I think you are talking about your son, hopefully. The video will be a good experience in scripting dialogue, in shooting raw video, in taking digital pictures, in lighting, in sound recording, and in the final video production editing, including captions and whatever. A chance to do pro quality work.
If, however, you are talking about the helper you are training, I would not confuse things by using the videos as advertisement for services, whether you or the helper would be providing those services.

Mike

There's no real legal issues with repair vids unless it relates to danger to one's self and you giving actual instructions. There's no liability to you showing how you work.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Ed thank you for your insight,my old brain would never had thought of.Yes the boy is my son.The older I get the less ability I have to control myself when stupid raise its head.One of the reason's I don't remember to take pix is it gets in the way of the job.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Well after talking to a bunch of friends I don't think a youtube thing is for me.BUT I will always be here for you all.Any question I can answer here I will be happy to share and help.Thanks for all your support. :wave

:donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee :coffee
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

You're the best, Rob.  Thanks.

Do it, Rob. YouTube needs people who know what they're talking about. It's all fluff there.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610