The most beautiful guitar pick I have ever seen.

Started by markj, September 03, 2021, 08:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wow! Scott at Charmed Life Picks has done it again. Actually he has surpassed anything I have ever seen (or played) to date.

When he told me about this project I was skeptical to say the least. How would this even be possible? Would it hold up? How good looking would it actually be? How good would it feel and sound? It is an authentic mother of pearl, four leaf clover, expertly inlaid into a 2mm thick casein pick.

Yeah, it is the most expensive pick I have ever purchased and will probably hold that title forever. lol I don't mind the price. The amount of effort and labor to bring this piece of art to reality far surpasses what I ended up parting with for one. It will be in my pick collection forever, and eventually in my daughter's pick collection when I leave this mortal coil.

Congratulations to Charmed Life Picks! It far exceeds any expectations I had. It has an incredible feel. No slippage at all. The tone ah! that's the most important part isn't it? It is quickly becoming my favorite in that department. I can really dig in with this baby. Warm, yet, loud and full of attack when I demand it.

I absolutely love this pick.

Most guitar players are content with picks that cost $5 per dozen. Not me. lol.  I own several of Scott's handmade creations. And every one of them is cherished and used for various reasons. This one is just over the top in every way possible.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

2mm!! That's a meaty pick! My experience with that brand was mixed. Very inconsistent finish on the edge, which does affect the tone a lot. I made some recommendations on how/why they could improve this and the guy acted like he didn't know what I was talking about so I sorta gave up on them. Granted, this was a few years ago when they were getting going and I did some prototype testing so they may have refined their process since then.

Tone-wise, their materials are good. But, so are many cheap picks. I haven't found my $35 picks to sound better than my cheap Dunlops, just different. Having different sounds is very important to me so I don't feed bad about my purchases, I just don't recommend anyone spend the extra expecting a "better" tone. I think the boutique pick market sort of relies on that idea.

Glad you like it! I genuinely do like seeing people excited about their gear, especially when it's something custom like this. Looks-wise, I think Dunlops are unsurpassed because, THEY HAVE ANIMALS ON THEM!!  :roll
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

What do you think about the Larrivee wooden picks? I like the idea of wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, different. I also have a couple of picks that i printed on my Prusa 3D printer that I like very much. They cost less than a penny each.  :roll
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

That's a nice pick alright.  Here is the other end of the spectrum......A guitar pick I fashioned out of necessity from the wife's credit card.  It's not pretty but it has those raised numbers that give it a nice grip, and of course the added bonus is that it is saving me a bundle as a pick rather than a credit card  :bgrin:

Quote from: tuffythepug on September 07, 2021, 06:36:54 PM
That's a nice pick alright.  Here is the other end of the spectrum......A guitar pick I fashioned out of necessity from the wife's credit card.  It's not pretty but it has those raised numbers that give it a nice grip, and of course the added bonus is that it is saving me a bundle as a pick rather than a credit card  :bgrin:

There are punches you can buy to do exactly that...  use old credit cards to punch out picks.  Like yours, I always just used my pen knife to cut them.  I always liked the picks I made from milk jugs using scissors better.  I always have liked thin picks.

Ed

Although I use one for mandolin, I think I just like the name of these 2 mm picks.   :whistling: