Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SD40 Praise  (Read 318 times)
fattigmann

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2021, 03:49:13 AM »

Just bought a new SD40 and I can't speak highly enough about it. A little background: i previously owned a couple SD50s but had to let them go because they lacked bass response to my ears. I attributed this to the straight bracing. It appears that Jean Larrivee has taken a giant leap forward with his scalloped bracing Also cosmetically, simpler and more self-assured. Truly the design of a mature master craftsman. My dream guitar has always been a Martin d28s slope-shoulder 12 fretter but my new SD40 checks off almost all the same boxes at 1/5 the price. Truly something spiritual about the overtones and deep resonance of a quality 12-fret guitar. Just a joy to strum and savor the rich interplay of harmonics.
boneuphtoner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 01:08:51 PM »

This is great to hear!  I just bought my very first Larrivee, and it is the SD-40.  I also love the tone of slope shoulder dreads - very different than the standard 14 fretters that we see everywhere.
fattigmann

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 11:51:07 AM »

Another positive change I just read: the old sd-50 and sd-60 guitars had polyester gloss finishes, which were almost impossible to ding, like tanks but also sounded like it! The sd40 has a water-based urethane finish. The new finish allows the guitar to ring out much more freely.
Traikat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 02:23:55 AM »

Glad your liking your SD-40!!! Did yours come with Medium strings?

I just dabble and I'm good with that!
Larrivee SD-40ME Custom
Blueridge BR42
Fender Stratocaster
Deering Banjo
Kentucky Mandolin
fattigmann

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »

Yes, medium strings. I looked up the serial number and this new guitar was from 2019, sat in the guitar store during lock down.

By the way, one other improvement I noticed over the SD-50 and SD-60 is the smaller soundhole on the SD40. Much more bass!
Capefear

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »

Hi, All...

The other day  I visited a  local shop, and stumbled onto a D44RW... I guess it's the D40R with gloss finish. A  stellar guitar, one of the best-sounding, most evenly balanced dreads I've ever played esp for a rosewood.  

Anyway, it made me realize how short life is  rolleye  rolleye , and I've been looking at the D40 Rosewood, the D44R, and the very interesting 12-fret SD40 rosewood.

So, just for a followup, how's the SD40 a month or two later (since I can't find one to play)? Still loving it? Has it begun to open up yet (or, does it need to)?  How about the longer body (21"), any effect on playability or reach?  What about sound, balance, lower registers, etc?  How about extra depth at 5"?  Comfortable or not?  Finally, if anyone can compare, how does this compare to the D40rw as far as volume, tonal range, low end, high end, etc?  

Lastly, would this complement, supplant, or just get in the way of my L09?  BTW, I am a picker as well as fingerstyle, but fingerstyle is my first love (and probably 75% of my playing)...

I owned a Yairi DYMR70SB (slope dread)  awhile back, but didn't keep it - didn't care for the neck shape (in fact I disliked it a lot), and it was BIG to play - so I'd love to hear some feedback before I pull the trigger on the SD or the D40 (or that D44 maybe -- I dunno, an extra $800 for gloss??).

Any insight is appreciated...

Thanks!!!
sc

"May your number of practice hours always exceed your number of posts."
Capefear

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 10:04:33 AM »

Hmmmm...Crickets......

B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 06:06:00 PM »

Hmmmm...Crickets......
I saw your previous post but didn't reply because I think you need to figure out what kind of sound you're after and go for that. All the guitars you listed are fine, and people will love them for various reasons. If you're looking for the "best" choice among them, you're the only one who can answer that as it's simply a matter of finding the instrument that suits what you're after right now.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Capefear

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 02:38:01 PM »

I saw your previous post but didn't reply because I think you need to figure out what kind of sound you're after and go for that. All the guitars you listed are fine, and people will love them for various reasons. If you're looking for the "best" choice among them, you're the only one who can answer that as it's simply a matter of finding the instrument that suits what you're after right now.

Yes, I was asking for opinions from folks who own / owned these.  Trying to discern between the slope, longer-body 12-fret and the others.  Thanks for the feedback.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: