The Forum VI Waiting Room

Started by Mikeymac, June 30, 2021, 10:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all! I am thankful that I am sharing this cool Forum VI experience with all of you! My first Larrivee arrived at my doorstep a few days before Thanksgiving in 2007...always extra gratitude for their amazing family and the instruments they build for us this time of year!

Cheers,

SS
Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :crying:
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: Rockysdad on November 28, 2021, 02:09:59 PM
:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :crying:

"The waiting drove me mad."  Eddie Vedder.

Looking forward to some updated pictures and/or progress report on the production.   :gotpics: :humour:

I am actually more excited about the Forum VI's arrival than I was waiting for the LV-10 50th Anniversary.

1) it is taking longer. I waited approximately 4 months for the 50th Anniversary from the time I first saw the photos, and placed the order.

2) I spent a lot more money on the 50th Anniversary and my excitement was tempered by a not so small smidgeon of guilt for spending so much on a guitar I had never played, but purchased solely on my prior ownership of an L-03, the reputation of Larrivee guitars and looks. I had played LV-03s and LV-05s and LV-09s so I kind of knew what I getting except for the next level of wow.  I was also excited about the fact that the 50th Anniversary was built with wood from "Jean's private reserve" and the top was voiced by Jean, and Matthew and Wendy and John Jr. all had their roles and hands on, in the creation of it. Just like the Fourm VI in that regard. I was also excited that it would be a limited, very special run of guitars. Just like the Forum VI except the Forum VI is going to be ever more rare. 19 vs 50 examples.

3) While waiting for the 50th Anniversary, I was alone in my excitement and guilt.  :guitar
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

I don't think anyone should feel guilty for purchasing something, it's your decision and your money. I know what you mean though as far as a *big* expense and if that would or could be better spent, but, we never know when our time is up, and putting something off could possibly never come to be.

This is a limited special we'll all enjoy.
I know I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: markj on November 29, 2021, 10:43:58 AM
I am actually more excited about the Forum VI's arrival than I was waiting for the LV-10 50th Anniversary.

1) it is taking longer. I waited approximately 4 months for the 50th Anniversary from the time I first saw the photos, and placed the order.

2) I spent a lot more money on the 50th Anniversary and my excitement was tempered by a not so small smidgeon of guilt for spending so much on a guitar I had never played, but purchased solely on my prior ownership of an L-03, the reputation of Larrivee guitars and looks. I had played LV-03s and LV-05s and LV-09s so I kind of knew what I getting except for the next level of wow.  I was also excited about the fact that the 50th Anniversary was built with wood from "Jean's private reserve" and the top was voiced by Jean, and Matthew and Wendy and John Jr. all had their roles and hands on, in the creation of it. Just like the Fourm VI in that regard. I was also excited that it would be a limited, very special run of guitars. Just like the Forum VI except the Forum VI is going to be ever more rare. 19 vs 50 examples.

3) While waiting for the 50th Anniversary, I was alone in my excitement and guilt.  :guitar

Nice guitar!  Do you play it much and what do you think of it now that you have had it for a few years?   

Quote from: jwdecour on November 29, 2021, 11:49:11 AM
Nice guitar!  Do you play it much and what do you think of it now that you have had it for a few years?   

I play it every day and have done so since it arrived. I have a recent thread on getting the frets leveled, dressed and polished here on the forum. http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=54855.0

I play it so much that it needed that operation after only 4 years. It is currently in the upstairs cabinet I had built for it. My downstairs office is currently housing a 3D printer so the humidification is turned off and it it's about 30% RH in here. The solid wood guitars stay in the humidified rooms. I have to actually get up and go upstairs to play them now. lol

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

There's some beautiful backs on those cutaways.  I bet they will look even better with the finish on them. 

Quote from: jwdecour on November 30, 2021, 01:40:48 PM
There's some beautiful backs on those cutaways.  I bet they will look even better with the finish on them.  

They sure are pretty. The 3rd one from the right has some cool figuring. I'm fairly sure the first cutaway from the left is mine with the blonde stripe in the middle.

Once they get to the point of having the finishing applied, how long does it take for that to dry and then polish or whatever and do the finishing touches?  Asking for a friend who's hoping for a Christmas present to himself...     :winkin:  :wink:

:beer :guitar
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI

I found this in an old post on here about the timeline.

" There's a series of Larrivee factory tour videos on youtube narrated by an employee who worked there from 1998-2008.    In one of the videos he refers to them having used "lacquer" with a 2-week curing time prior to the switch to UV-cured poly.".

So hopefully less than 2 weeks???

Quote from: jwdecour on November 30, 2021, 04:26:50 PM
I found this in an old post on here about the timeline.

" There's a series of Larrivee factory tour videos on youtube narrated by an employee who worked there from 1998-2008.    In one of the videos he refers to them having used "lacquer" with a 2-week curing time prior to the switch to UV-cured poly.".

So hopefully less than 2 weeks???

Yes - the UV cured poly finish dries/cures almost immediately. So no two week waiting period.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I think all those samples look very nice.  :thumb
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: Rockysdad on November 30, 2021, 07:18:47 PM
I think all those samples look very nice.  :thumb

Yes they do, and I am sure all the backs and sides will clean up nicely and look great when they are finished.   

Starting to look like real guitars! Real nice Larrivee guitars!
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

as a woodworker, it has been so satisfying to see the updates and pictures through this thread.....several observations

That is some high grade Walnut on those guitars! Beautifully selected...

I also see things like the worn handles on the clamps, the glue squeeze out on the table top (Which I would be so worried about accidently setting the back of the necks right in the squeeze out but they are the pros!) .... All signs of hand crafted work... which I have so much respect for!

and I, like you all; can truly appreciate the amount of time which goes into every guitar that bears a Larrivee Name.... so cool... :+1:

If I were you guys who ordered one of these, I'd have a file of all of the updates in this thread, so I could just keep it with the guitar when you get them...just a cool addition to have with your new guitar!