Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Forum VI Waiting Room  (Read 2513 times)
Riverbend
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2021, 11:10:44 PM »

I missed out on this one but I am an original owner of one of the few all mahogany FIII’s so I’m content to watch on the sidelines while you guys have fun.  I’m also the person who originally posted all the FIII production photos so here is a working link to the album in case you want to see how our FIII’s were constructed.  

And now for your viewing (and waiting) pleasure  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rA82N43RfjYQvxrx6

Jagadis
WOW!!! Thank you for this! It's been pretty quiet here as of late and this whetted my appetite a bit.

Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (10/21/2008)
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2021, 02:44:00 AM »

The location of the bridge/bridge plate on these - BETWEEN the two parallel braces - is interesting... because of the 12-fret neck/body joint. It would be interesting to see the underside of an LS top with a 14-fret neck/body joint for comparison...
What would be interesting is seeing the bracing on a 12 fret, hybrid braced, smaller body guitar.
We do know the Notable LS was similar to ours, except short scale. Fraiser1 has one of those.
I asked John if such a pic was available, and no, it wasn't, but he did send the illustrative Larrivee bracing style photo.
The parallel braces can move around, but the F-VI does not have parallel braces.
The bracing and bridge plate on the Forum III generated the comment that the lower bout was really only supported by one brace and perhaps the bridge plate was structural, in addition to being a bridge mount. You can see the parallel braces have been shifted forward a lot on the F-III.
Who know what the bridge plate on the F-VI will end up looking like. I think the only thing similar would be the 000-40 bracing.
I don't know much about it, it's all black magic to me.
Mike

* Bracing Styles.jpg (191.01 KB, 700x454 - viewed 11 times.)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2021, 05:34:58 PM »

I'll post the pic again (below) just to have these on the same page - but that (rosewood) bridge plate on the 12-fret body is quite a bit larger than the rosewood bridge plates in the photo that John, Jr. sent (above).

I wonder if they've modified that bridge plate and made it any smaller for the Forum VI, or it they/Larrivee think it's necessary to have it be that large for structural reasons. I would think that large of a bridge plate would have some impact on the movement of the top, and therefore the tone of the guitar.

Just making observations and small talk...

* n663855326_5855029_6360.jpg (77.57 KB, 604x453 - viewed 12 times.)

All guitars are left-handed:

1979 L-19
1988 L-04 (04 = 09 with Flamed Maple b&s)
1992 OM-05
Jagadis

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2021, 05:43:16 PM »

I'll post the pic again (below) just to have these on the same page - but that (rosewood) bridge plate on the 12-fret body is quite a bit larger than the rosewood bridge plates in the photo that John, Jr. sent (above).

I wonder if they've modified that bridge plate and made it any smaller for the Forum VI, or it they/Larrivee think it's necessary to have it be that large for structural reasons. I would think that large of a bridge plate would have some impact on the movement of the top, and therefore the tone of the guitar.

I think the bridge is in a different position for a 12 (lower) vs 14 (higher) fret guitar.  That's why the pictures may be different?  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Jagadis

LS-03MTHB Forum III (#19), RS-2 Sunburst
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2021, 06:33:02 PM »

I think the bridge is in a different position for a 12 (lower) vs 14 (higher) fret guitar.  That's why the pictures may be different?  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes - and that was my point; not only is it in a different position - that different position requires modifying the top braces to accommodate that change in location...and I had never seen the underside of a top with one of the parallel braces between the bridge plate and the sound hole.

That's all - carry on.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05
Bard

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2021, 07:44:14 PM »

Yeah, that 12 fret bridge plate sure does take up more real estate. However, one thing we can't tell is how thick any of them are. Perhaps the larger bridge plate can be thinner because of the larger area.
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2021, 07:44:34 PM »

Yes - and that was my point; not only is it in a different position - that different position requires modifying the top braces to accommodate that change in location...and I had never seen the underside of a top with one of the parallel braces between the bridge plate and the sound hole.
That's all - carry on.
In a follow up to John (considering the lack of photos) I asked if Larrivee made 12 fret OM's with the hybrid bracing. He said they had made ton's of them,as well as standard. So the bracing we see on the F-III is probably similar to a 12 fret OM. It is just we have rarely seen it.
Photos of the F-VI bracing will probably be the first time anyone outside the factory has been able to have a good look with the hybrid system on a smaller guitar.
All part of the adventure of a non-standard custom. We are so brave! At least we know Larrivee knows how to handle the available real estate.
Mike
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2021, 07:49:00 PM »

Yeah, that 12 fret bridge plate sure does take up more real estate. However, one thing we can't tell is how thick any of them are. Perhaps the larger bridge plate can be thinner because of the larger area.
That is a good point, except the main job of the bridge plate has a bit to do with keeping the string ball ends from wearing through the spruce top. They dig in to the bridge plate instead. Normal wear and tear.
Mike
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2021, 07:56:36 PM »

We can certainly ask about that, since we have John's ear, but it is more fun for now to theorize and assume and guess, and then later we can find out who was more right. And I am not making a joke of that, because we will ask about it. It's our guitar.
Mike
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2021, 08:59:31 PM »

Photos of the F-VI bracing will probably be the first time anyone outside the factory has been able to have a good look with the hybrid system on a smaller guitar.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2021, 09:08:48 PM »

All part of the adventure of a non-standard custom. We are so brave! At least we know Larrivee knows how to handle the available real estate.

+1

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05
Frasier1

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2021, 11:17:28 PM »

I took a couple of pictures of my LS-03 with hybrid bracing as best as I could.  Hope this helps?!

* LS-03 top bracing.jpg (76.82 KB, 810x1080 - viewed 11 times.)
Frasier1

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2021, 11:21:03 PM »

I took a couple of pictures of my LS-03 with hybrid bracing as best as I could.  Hope this helps?!

And another!!

* LS-03 top bracinga.jpg (75.9 KB, 810x1080 - viewed 14 times.)
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2021, 03:52:16 PM »

This helps a LOT. Looks like the bridge plate is totally different than the Forum III, more normal looking.
Mike
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2021, 06:18:11 PM »

This helps a LOT. Looks like the bridge plate is totally different than the Forum III, more normal looking.
Mike

Yes, and I forgot that the Forum VI is using the "hybrid" (Martin style) offset lower braces, which means it will also look different than the pics above which show Larrivee's traditional bracing. Will be interesting to see how that affects the bridge plate shape and placement. (Looking forward to some pics of the top's bracing, John, Jr.!)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2021, 08:40:32 PM »

Yes, and I forgot that the Forum VI is using the "hybrid" (Martin style) offset lower braces, which means it will also look different than the pics above which show Larrivee's traditional bracing. Will be interesting to see how that affects the bridge plate shape and placement.
I may be wrong about which "pics above" you refer to, but Fraisers pics are the hybrid bracing. The offset bracing is clearly visible in the first photo.
Fraisers guitar is an LS-03, 12 fret, and hybrid braced, only structural difference to the F-VI is the Notable custom run was short scale. I think, if I read the old ad correctly.
Mike
Frasier1

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2021, 10:06:18 PM »

I may be wrong about which "pics above" you refer to, but Frasiers pics are the hybrid bracing. The offset bracing is clearly visible in the first photo.
Frasiers guitar is an LS-03, 12 fret, and hybrid braced, only structural difference to the F-VI is the Notable custom run was short scale. I think, if I read the old ad correctly.
Mike

You are correct Mike in that the only difference is the length of scale between the two guitars.  The fretboard radius will also be different along with the back wood and I ordered mine with a cutaway.  Very much looking forward to this!!   

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2021, 11:29:15 PM »

Got it. I didn't realize yours was a 12-fret - that wasn't mentioned with your pics. So I just thought that was why there was more "room" for both braces behind the bridge plate, whereas on the F-III, the bridge plate is between the two braces...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: