The Forum VI Waiting Room

Started by Mikeymac, June 30, 2021, 10:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okay, it's official. We have a Forum VI guitar in the works!

If you see this thread "today" (June 30, 2021), YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO ORDER ONE!!! If you snooze, you lose...  :crying:

This is a place to discuss the guitar, hang out, dream, speculate, and maybe from time to time, John Jr. or Matt will drop in and bless us with a pic or two (hint, hint!!!).

I'll let Mike or someone else pull the specs over here - I'm just starting the thread...

WELCOME EVERYONE!!!

:guitar
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I will gladly be the first to post in "The Forun VI Waiting Room".

So I have some time to polish up my miserable fingerstyle skills while waiting for Godot/Guitar?
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 30, 2021, 10:48:10 AM
Okay, it's official. We have a Forum VI guitar in the works!

If you see this thread "today" (June 30, 2021), YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO ORDER ONE!!! If you snooze, you lose...  :crying:

This is a place to discuss the guitar, hang out, dream, speculate, and maybe from time to time, John Jr. or Matt will drop in and bless us with a pic or two (hint, hint!!!).

I'll let Mike or someone else pull the specs over here - I'm just starting the thread...

WELCOME EVERYONE!!!

:guitar

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Quote from: Hooked on June 30, 2021, 11:19:23 AM
So I have some time to polish up my miserable fingerstyle skills while waiting for Godot/Guitar?

I'm in the same boat. I'm a lefty who plays righty. My fingerstyle never really developed too greatly (being lefty is my excuse anyway   :winkin:). I have a feeling it'll be a fine strummer despite the smaller body size.

Quote from: Bard on June 30, 2021, 11:41:21 AM
I'm in the same boat. I'm a lefty who plays righty. My fingerstyle never really developed too greatly (being lefty is my excuse anyway   :winkin:). I have a feeling it'll be a fine strummer despite the smaller body size.
I am half lefty and half righty.
Eat, write, shoot guns and do archery lefty. Throw, bat baseballs, play guitar righty.
There were no left handed guitars around when I grew up.
But fingerpicking feels natural with the right hand.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

The walnut is going to look spectacular!

A recent OM in Walnut and Moonwood arrived at a dealer, and was posted to the FB group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2210155417

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on June 30, 2021, 12:12:10 PM

The walnut is going to look spectacular!

A recent OM in Walnut and Moonwood arrived at a dealer, and was posted to the FB group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2210155417

Here are a few of those pics (it will get harder to find as more stuff gets posted there...)

Looks like it has some bear claw in that top.

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 30, 2021, 12:10:02 PM

I am half lefty and half righty.
Eat, write, shoot guns and do archery lefty. Throw, bat baseballs, play guitar righty.
There were no left handed guitars around when I grew up.
But fingerpicking feels natural with the right hand.
Mike

Interesting. I'm predominantly lefty (eating, writing, throwing/catching, archery, guitar), but I bat and golf right-handed. Shooting is still up for grabs; I have two new handguns that I'll be practicing with soon - we'll see which feels more comfortable, as I'm getting more arthritis pain in my left hand...

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 30, 2021, 01:52:40 PM
Interesting. I'm predominantly lefty (eating, writing, throwing/catching, archery, guitar), but I bat and golf right-handed. Shooting is still up for grabs; I have two new handguns that I'll be practicing with soon - we'll see which feels more comfortable, as I'm getting more arthritis pain in my left hand...

The only things I do right handed are guitar and hockey (baseball and golf: left). However, guitar is a 2 handed endeavor and shooting right in hockey is traditionally what lefties do.
It's fascinating to see the high percentage of lefties that are Larrivee fans. Adding Mike (although he's both handed) and myself to the list, we see it's not just the folks who play left handed.

Quote from: Bard on June 30, 2021, 02:38:12 PM
The only things I do right handed are guitar and hockey (baseball and golf: left). However, guitar is a 2 handed endeavor and shooting right in hockey is traditionally what lefties do.
It's fascinating to see the high percentage of lefties that are Larrivee fans. Adding Mike (although he's both handed) and myself to the list, we see it's not just the folks who play left handed.
I can cast (fly or spinning rod), paddle a canoe with both hands, but can't imagine playing an upside-down guitar!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OM-40 SB
Seagull S6

Quote from: Bard on June 30, 2021, 02:38:12 PM
It's fascinating to see the high percentage of lefties that are Larrivee fans.
Ok, gotta remember to have some percentage of Larrivee content in the thread, or else we could get moved to non-guitar discussion.
To that end, I will note that any normal set of strings will work just as well on both RH and LH Larrivee guitars.
Mike

Add me to the list of *folks who don't like bearclaw*, I know there are those that are more than willing to pay extra for it, but I'd pass on a guitar with it, regardless of how it sounded.
I am soooooooooo looking forward to the VI.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

UPDATE
I have requested the "any interest" thread be locked.
According to John today, we have 14 orders.
If I understood John correctly, Larrivee will build a some extras to account for unforeseen problems (2 LS and 2 LSV, assuming RH) and these will be held back until later. If anyone shows interest, they will be put on a waiting list.
Meanwhile, we will use this thread to update, ask questions, etc.
I am still to be the contact between us and Larrivee.
Mike

I'm curious about Moonwood.  Is it always as 'white' as those photos up above?  I've seen some other pics and they were just as light coloured.  I'm more a fan of the aged look and my OM [spruce] from 2009 is aging very nicely.  Does, or will, the Moonwood age and darken?

Quote from: jazzereh on June 30, 2021, 07:56:33 PM

Does, or will, the Moonwood age and darken?

Yes, it will. And it will darken more quickly if you keep your guitar out in sunlight (rather than in the case). It will take time, but it will darken.

Good, I did assume that it would darken with time as it is wood and that's what happens but so far the photos of Moonwood that I've seen have been very pale.  Most likely new-ish guitars. 

And, as to the bear claw, I like that look.  But don't have a problem without that.  Given what I've heard about the tone of this top wood, wouldn't care either way for mine but, yes, bear claw would be attractive.

............... Are they ready yet ?   :roll :roll
:donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :coffee  :guitar
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

I'm curious as to where the *Moonwood* tops come from, I understand it can be from a number of countries in the Alps.

I was wondering where specifically ?
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

OM-40 SB
Seagull S6

Thank you Hooked, I guess I should have looked there first, duh.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"