Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solved?---Odd “rattle” coming from iMix preamp  (Read 104 times)
lkjjr

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2021, 02:10:45 PM »

My LV05e (2007) has the barn door styled Baggs iMix preamp.  It has begun to produce a rattling effect at a range of string frequencies.  If I open the preamp (as if I were changing the battery) the rattling goes away, but comes right back once closed again.

I’ve tried “padding” the battery itself with paper, cardboard or foam shims, but that doesn’t stop the rattle.  I don’t think it’s a fret related issue since any given note fretted in different positions produces the same effect, and notes outside of the range are not affected.  I have had a luthier/tech check for loose bracing and frets.  I keep the humidity between 40-50%, and there are times where the problem seems top go away temporarily.

Because the problem only occurs in a confined band of frequencies it seems to me to be some sort of resonance related problem.  So my question…
Have any of you experienced this or a similar problem and, if so, what remedy did you find?
Thanks...

2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »

You (or your tech) could check for wires loose (or shifted) and coming in contact with the top or sides and vibrating, or maybe padding around the barn door that has deteriorated.

Good luck

Ed
lkjjr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 10:11:37 PM »

After an interminably long delay, I think we got this solved. My trusted/talented guitar tech of many years was no longer working, and the next guy I found was not so skilled, reliable.  This year I found a good tech close by, and we gave it another go.  And…

He removed the preamp and, after a bit of looking around, installed some foam padding on the preamp and put a bit of “cushy” tape on the end of the battery (see pics).  Can’t trigger the rattle now.  We’ll see with time and humidity changes if this “solution holds.

BTW, my tech put some strings on that I hadn’t tried before.  They’re SIT light gauge phosphor/bronze, and sound excellent. We’ll see how well that keep that beautiful tone.

* 2144.jpg (291.38 KB, 750x858 - viewed 1 times.)

* 2143.jpg (132.42 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 1 times.)

2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: