Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So hard to find!! Advice/help needed  (Read 227 times)
myungic7

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2021, 04:21:11 AM »

Hi everyone!

I've had a Taylor 210e (first 'nicer' guitar) for over a decade now but just a few years after buying my Taylor, I played a used Larrivee at a local Guitar Center and absolutely fell in love. I promised myself that my next big guitar purchase would be a Larrivee. I recently celebrated my 30th birthday and so I'm hopeful that the time has finally come! I've referred to posts on this forum a good amount and they've been so helpful. Based on research online, I am theorizing that I would like an LV-03E or LV-05E, perhaps even a model higher if I can find a good deal (undecided about the rosewood/mahogany so far..).

Unfortunately I'm realizing how difficult it is in the current market to get my hand on a Larrivee to even try one out and corroborate my theory! I live in NYC all of the dealers listed on Larrivee's website are well beyond reasonable travel distance from me, and even the ones that I could perhaps get to have very few or none in stock. A dealer I spoke with today told me prices keep going up and that production is very slow, so it seems the timing is definitely not in my favor.

I was wondering if anyone here might have any tips on what you might do in my situation? Is it best to just wait until there is increased supply? Is it generally advisable to buy online? And if so, what sites would be best for that? I've scoured almost every website I can find and did some across some possible options, but I'm still hesitant about buying a guitar online...
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 08:02:41 AM »

The L is a very safe starting point. If you are used to a Taylor, you might like mahogany better. I say this as the Taylor sound is generally pretty bright. While mahogany isn't particularly bright, it's not as dark/warm as rosewood. If you were looking for a warmer sounding instrument, then you may in fact prefer the rosewood. Body size means more than back wood so don't get too caught up in the back wood.

I wouldn't be too worried about buying online. Larrivees are consistent and you have buyer protection through most normal avenues. Buying used/eBay/reverb is where it pays to have a bit more experience. If you're just worried that you won't like a particular model, buy used from a reputable dealer and be open minded to buying/selling a few times.

I used to think every guitar had to be a lifetime guitar but the best thing I ever did was sell instruments I loved in order to try others. There's no way to predict what you'll bond with. That comes from months of making music with that instrument. Trying them out in a store helps determine if it will be comfortable in hand, but gives very little indication of how they will sound for you in your home.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 11:14:20 AM »

For an additional perspective, read some of the comments on the Forum ViI guitar specs being considered. You may want to think about that route as an alternative. I already have several rosewood and mahogany guitars plus access to my son’s Taylor 214 if I want to play it and I am giving strong consideration to adding a walnut guitar to the mix. 

I have two Larrivees that are both keepers. One I got to play before buying and the other was a custom.

Welcome to the club and good luck with your search.

TEH

Larrivee Special Edition Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 Custom 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Alvarez Artist AD60SB
Kala Soprano Ukelele
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:39:41 PM »

For an additional perspective, read some of the comments on the Forum ViI guitar specs being considered. You may want to think about that route as an alternative. I already have several rosewood and mahogany guitars plus access to my son’s Taylor 214 if I want to play it and I am giving strong consideration to adding a walnut guitar to the mix. 

I have two Larrivees that are both keepers. One I got to play before buying and the other was a custom.

Welcome to the club and good luck with your search.
Good point ^.

The thread for the new forum guitar is very long but if you read the last few pages you should be able to get the gist and decide if it's something you want to get in on. It's a group buy so pricing will likely be attractive and the guitar itself is shaping up to be something pretty special, but also versatile.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
markj

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 12:48:38 PM »

Definitely check out the Forum VI thread.

1977 Classical
2014 L-03 ( Sold June 23, 2018  crying )
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
myungic7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 02:14:49 PM »

wow thank you everyone for the input!! I just checked out the Forum VI thread and i must say, i am indeed really interested in it.. I will start following that one!
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 01:56:51 AM »

You’ve got some people on this forum who have a lot of experience and knowledge to the conversation. Half the fun is the search. Enjoy

TEH

Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Oahu Square Neck
Alvarez Artist AD60SB
Kala Soprano Ukelele
myungic7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 06:53:16 AM »

I do indeed!!! An update here for anyone curious-- I managed to make my way (a long trip) to a dealer that had an LV-05! I really enjoyed playing it, but it didn't necessarily make me want to drop everything and buy the guitar right then and there, not that that's how it should be. Now that I've tried the Mahogany 05, I'm so, so curious about the 09 model with East Indian Rosewood... 90% of my internet research tells me that the mahogany will be a 'warmer' sound with more mids, and that the Rosewood will give me more of a low to high range with a slight dip in the mids, but I guess I'd never really know until I try it?
Jamolay

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 12:31:49 PM »

I do indeed!!! An update here for anyone curious-- I managed to make my way (a long trip) to a dealer that had an LV-05! I really enjoyed playing it, but it didn't necessarily make me want to drop everything and buy the guitar right then and there, not that that's how it should be. Now that I've tried the Mahogany 05, I'm so, so curious about the 09 model with East Indian Rosewood... 90% of my internet research tells me that the mahogany will be a 'warmer' sound with more mids, and that the Rosewood will give me more of a low to high range with a slight dip in the mids, but I guess I'd never really know until I try it?
I found this video helpful when making the same decision.
I went with Mahogany, I like the fuller mids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U-ysvMipIo

But what does it matter if you are going to end up with a Walnut Forum VI…😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 06:33:06 PM »

Over the years I’ve had or created the advantage of getting to play a lot of guitars before buying. I have two mahogany, two rosewood, a maple and other assorted odds and ends. Strangely enough, my wife found a Oahu square neck Hawaiian guitar to hang on my wall for $20 at an antique store and this guitar will not go out of tune.

When I purchased my first nice guitar, a new Martin D35 in 1977, I had played about 100 guitars. As I mentioned in another thread, I’ve only purchased two guitars without playing them first, my Larrivee 12 string and my Martin 000. I had enough confidence in both builders and played a bunch of guitars to feel comfortable with my decisions.

I too value the opinions of others, but never lose sight of the fact that it’s your preferences, playing style and money on the table.

TEH

Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Oahu Square Neck
Alvarez Artist AD60SB
Kala Soprano Ukelele
myungic7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 12:14:36 AM »

I found this video helpful when making the same decision.
I went with Mahogany, I like the fuller mids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U-ysvMipIo

But what does it matter if you are going to end up with a Walnut Forum VI…😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is indeed probably the most helpful video out there!! I would agree with you that I like the fuller mids as well- to me (at least in that video) the brightness/twang of the rosewood stands out so much that i can't appreciate what's supposed to be the more robust low end...

BUT it also sounds like there can still be variance in terms of how the woods affect the sound, for whatever reason... So I decided to order the LV-09 just to try it-- If I return it, i'd have to eat the shipping fee, but i'd say that's a price worth paying to actually try the guitar. here goes!
markj

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 09:55:21 PM »

Congrats on the order!

Post some pics when it arrives.

1977 Classical
2014 L-03 ( Sold June 23, 2018  crying )
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: