Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin SC-13E  (Read 122 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2021, 04:11:07 AM »

Here's a link to the Martin SC13E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhsQRWZkIvs

Apparently I'm the first guy in Canada to have this new and VERY different offering from Martin folks.

Maybe some-one around here has one?

I've been waiting since 2019, when the proto-types were released, then COVID hit, and over a year later, I finally have one to audition from Long & McQuade.

if anyone has read this far, and you’re not aware of the history and design of this radical Martin, all the details are on their website, under the model designation.

For anyone like myself who has been intrigued by this guitar, I will offer some observations from 3 intense sessions with the guitar.

Getting beyond the S body shape (offset), and the complete lack of heel block traditional dovetail join, to the 13 fret body join (25.5 inch scale), lets just say, you'll have to imagine a Fender telecaster neck on a Martin- same profile (thin) all the way up the neck, where it becomes effortless to reach and play right up to the highest note (C), not C# as most Martins or D as with Larrivée.

Martin trad folks I'm sure are furious.
 I'm thrilled.
 some one finally stepped outside the box.

It's a design for working musicians, as part of their "Road Series".
 easiest guitar to play, (low action, custom lights (factory) and VERY pedal friendly.
Has a bolt on neck, you change the intonation from inside the guitar as well as neck angle-if need.
radical bracing, on the top and back, Fishman MX system (not my favourite, but very responsive with a mid range sweep control and stealth phase switch (VERY useful for high stage volume playing.)
Solid spruce top, sound s as good as any new guitar I've played, lots of resonance, easily controlled, very comfy, lightweight, and for those who like to get at every note on every fret, this guitar sets the bar rather high for an acoustic build.

It might mean I won't need to take 3 guitars to every gig. I can eliminate the big box jazz electric and play that stuff on this.
It also might mean, instead of taking my precious Larrivees out to work, and worrying about them, I can just take this guitar with it's perfect intonation, tuning, full on acoustic or jam it out with some pedal envy.....

the neck profile all the way up is really something that makes you want to play all your electric chops.
 tis fun.

lots of info out there, don't take my word for it.

I just added a couple pics, the body shape and neck join are very innovative.
 the Scolloped bracing on the top is only on the lower boutbteble side, it then tapers off to nothing on the bass side.

These guitars (mine anyways) are EXTEMELY well made, the finish is impeccable and the top wood is some of the nicest.

As these are from the Mexican shop, and back and sides are mahogany with a Koa veneer, I am hoping, in the future maybe, they will release the guitar in a Rosewood version, or better yet Ziricotti!

* 64366572385__02B9CD3C-3B3B-4B5C-9053-EE78C401515D.jpg (105.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2 times.)

* 64368201001__11FC2FB8-F45D-4709-B2BA-B1ACFA8BEA08.jpg (109.32 KB, 480x640 - viewed 2 times.)

* 64368204302__1505996A-2F7D-4CA0-BB64-7CBF236350A8.jpg (93.71 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2 times.)

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 01:19:20 PM »

Very interesting. Good video.
Nothing wrong with tradition of course, but innovation is a good thing.
I'd like to try one.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 04:17:50 PM »

I'm a lefty, so take this with a grain of salt, but I got the chance to "play" one of these a few months ago in a local shop, and was quite impressed. It sounded very good, and played great. It was well made and the price seems to be competitive.

If Martin made a lefty version, I'm pretty sure I would have ordered one that day based on my initial impressions of the right handed one (and I have to do this a lot as a lefty, so I'm used to gathering data and experience from playing right-handed versions of guitars).

So, yes - I agree with your assessment/review. Martin has really stepped up with innovation on this one, and it's going to pay off for them with players who are willing to get outside the traditional box.

+1

All guitars are left-handed:

1979 L-19
1988 L-04 (04 = 09 with Flamed Maple b&s)
1992 OM-05
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 12:09:45 AM »

I’m a traditional Martin guy but I love this concept and the innovations the company is making to attract new customers.

In 1916, they designed the dreadnought which took 16-18 years to find a market. In the 30s, they made the OM for Perry Bechtel, a banjo player. They made mandolins and ukeleles to keep the shop running. Then they opened the custom shop.

They can keep the innovation coming just like Jean Larrivee is doing.

TEH

Larrivee Special Edition Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 Custom 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Alvarez Artist AD60SB
Kala Soprano Ukelele
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 07:20:32 PM »

Thanks! Interesting post and guitar. That sent me down a 15 minute google rabbit hole for some interesting video and reviews. Initially the price surprised me as I guessed $2K plus until I saw it was made in Mexico and had laminate B&S. I imagine this is a trial ballon before seeing if USA solid woods would support a higher price point. Being more of an acoustic player, it doesn't check off enough boxes for me as I don't play out or need an acoustic that plays like an electric. I'd still like to try one out, though.

I like the idea of continuing to innovate. The major USA guitar shops are going to have to as overseas shops like Harley Benton are working hard to eat their lunch.

An innovation I'd like to see is a 22" short scale 12 fret with a full size Concert or OM body tuned up two notes. That would be the perfect couch guitar for old shoulders and wrists. . .

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44 • Larrivee OO-03 SS • Taylor 322ce • Gretch 9521 • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »

Just linking this  11 page thread from AGF if it got missed . . .

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601388

Reading more the "laminate back and sides" is an odd type I hadn't heard of. It's actually mahogany with a top layer of Koa simply for appearance. Dunno how that makes much difference since two layers are likely to be stiffer than one . . .

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44 • Larrivee OO-03 SS • Taylor 322ce • Gretch 9521 • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: