Forum VI (based on Forum III) any interest?

Started by mike in lytle, May 07, 2021, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A couple days ago John Jr. asked if there was any interest in doing something exclusive for Forum members, as it has been awhile.
Immediately my mind jumped to the idea of doing another run of the Forum III.
The thread had moderate interest.
So I am starting this to gauge interest in another run of the Forum III guitar (LS-03, with options).
I like the idea, and quite a bit of old history is available via the sticked post at...
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=45711.0
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

To give an idea of the original Forum III baseline, please see the following...
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=24123

In a (large) nutshell, it describes what the group decided on back then.
I include the following quote, which is the concept around which the entire effort was centered:
"The Forum Guitar III is your opportunity to own an out-of-production Larrivee guitar."

If we do a current effort, we will need a new dealer and if we have interest I can talk to our local Larrivee dealer to support this.
Mike

I might like another Forum III in a different wood maybe koa with a cutaway.   I was in on the original Forum III, still have it, Italian spruce over hog with cutaway.  Nice guitar! :nice guitar:

It might help to get clarity from John Jr. (or a Larrivee dealer) how much variation there could be on the instrument's specs... we've already got people mentioning several different top, back & sides woods, along with at least two folks asking for a cutaway.

I suspect that, to get this project rolling and to keep costs reasonable (and that's a different number for everyone!), either there will have to be a LOT of orders (which I don't see happening at this point) or very limited variations in the specs...

:donut :coffee

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

SO... as a follow up to my last post, here's what I'd be open to (please chime in with your own list, and maybe we can come to some consensus)

Body size: I'd like to stick with the LS body (that seems to be popular at this point); no cutaway for me, thanks.

Top wood: I'm open to any spruce variation

Back & Sides: I'm open on this, too, including Walnut and Maple, but probably not Koa (which WILL raise the price)

Trim level: 03 Series is fine, and probably the only one financially feasible for most of us

Other: like tuners, etc. no preference; no pickup necessary - aftermarket gives us personal preference options

:coffee :donut
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 08, 2021, 04:17:51 PM
It might help to get clarity from John Jr. (or a Larrivee dealer) how much variation there could be on the instrument's specs... we've already got people mentioning several different top, back & sides woods, along with at least two folks asking for a cutaway.
I get it. But we are way too early to present anything to Larrivee or a dealer.
The original Forum III had two tops (italian spruce and hog) and two bodies (hog and RW).
Plus an option for the venetian cutaway (which cost more).

I am keeping a spreadsheet now, and I will only add to it for folks that post in THIS thread.
This will keep track of "who, and who wants "what".
You are number three.
We are only gauging interest here.
I think once we get to maybe 15 folks, we can talk to Larrivee and look for a dealer.
Mike

I have an interest.  Thanks Mike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote from: Strings4Him on May 08, 2021, 06:30:55 PM
I have an interest.  Thanks Mike.
Please provide more info so I can add you to the spreadsheet.
Top wood, back and sides, RH or LH, basic stuff for now.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 08, 2021, 07:40:18 PM
Please provide more info so I can add you to the spreadsheet.
Top wood, back and sides, RH or LH, basic stuff for now.
Mike
Spruce top with walnut b&s, RH.  I am also open to other woods for top and b&s.  Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote from: Strings4Him on May 08, 2021, 07:56:12 PM
Spruce top with walnut b&s, RH.  I am also open to other woods for top and b&s.  Thanks.
Got it! More detailed questions will be for later.
Mike

I am torn on this.  But I'll note my interest as a YES

If I were to go on this I'm good with the LS 03 specs, RH, no cutaway.  B&S walnut [I need something different than what I have] and while I'd go for a spruce top, it would be good to have another choice and I'd prefer satin finish.  12 fret would be best. And, no electronics.

Here's my dilemma - I've been looking for another Larrivee but I focus on builds done in Canada, so a used guitar at this point - all my guitars, Larrivee and others, are Canadian builds.  If I were to go with this as a new build, not done in Canada, it would need to be something that really appealed to me.

Quote from: jazzereh on May 09, 2021, 07:11:58 AM
I am torn on this.  But I'll note my interest as a YES

If I were to go on this I'm good with the LS 03 specs, RH, no cutaway.  B&S walnut [I need something different than what I have] and while I'd go for a spruce top, it would be good to have another choice and I'd prefer satin finish.  12 fret would be best. And, no electronics.

Here's my dilemma - I've been looking for another Larrivee but I focus on builds done in Canada, so a used guitar at this point - all my guitars, Larrivee and others, are Canadian builds.  If I were to go with this as a new build, not done in Canada, it would need to be something that really appealed to me.
I understand. It's difficult to change one's preferences, which are all valid.
That being said, the Forum III was a Vancouver build, and though the newer one would be updated (I am assuming, with the 16" fretboard radius, and updated truss rod access), I think of the newer Forum III as continuation of a legacy.
I have added you to the spreadsheet
Mike

"continuation of a legacy"   I like that

The Forum 3 and 4 all mahogany are ones that I've been looking for so maybe that works.    :wink:

Quote from: jazzereh on May 09, 2021, 10:03:31 AM
"continuation of a legacy"   I like that
The Forum 3 and 4 all mahogany are ones that I've been looking for so maybe that works.    :wink:
Ok, that is cool. I updated you to all hog on the spreadsheet.
Minds can always change, and we are committed to nothing just now.
Mike

Just to reiterate/refine what I posted in the other thread.

Yes, I am interested in a Forum guitar. My .02, the idea is to produce an uncommon guitar of moderate cost:

• LS or OM body
  • Venetian cutaway or at least the option
  • Spruce top
  • Maple back and sides, unfigured if it helps keep cost down!
  • Satin finish, or gloss top with satin back and sides
  • Minimal or no abalone
  • Perhaps a Forum guitar specific inlay on the headstock, but something modest
  • Clear pickguard!

2002 L-10
2006 LV-10QM
2010 OMV-03

Formerly: O-01 Koa Parlor, L-03

Quote from: Will V. on May 09, 2021, 01:11:12 PM
Just to reiterate/refine what I posted in the other thread.

Yes, I am interested in a Forum guitar. My .02, the idea is to produce an uncommon guitar of moderate cost:

• LS or OM body
  • Venetian cutaway or at least the option
  • Spruce top
  • Maple back and sides, unfigured if it helps keep cost down!
  • Satin finish, or gloss top with satin back and sides
  • Minimal or no abalone
  • Perhaps a Forum guitar specific inlay on the headstock, but something modest
  • Clear pickguard!
Will,
Good clear preferences.
The original Forum III were shipped with pick guards not attached. I believe they were supplied with clear and tortoise.
Also, the Forum III was adorned with 3 microdots at the 12th fret, no other fret markers, besides those on the neck binding. There was a lot of discussion about how to visibly make the Forum III unique. When (by Tuffy, I think) the 3 microdot fret marker was proposed, it was like "yeah, that is really cool". I would hope we could continue the 3 dot marker on the new ones.
Mike

Do we really need another thread for this? How about we see what John Jr. has in mind?
Although, I appreciate the enthusiasm!

I'm interested depending on what the tonewoods end up being.  A 12 fret would be a definite plus and 03 trim level is fine by me.  I'm assuming that the back and sides would be different than before, so walnut or maple seems interesting, but I'm wondering if there are others that might work and not be overly expensive.  I wonder if the 40 series bracing is possible as well.

Quote from: Bard on May 09, 2021, 05:40:09 PM
Do we really need another thread for this? How about we see what John Jr. has in mind?
Although, I appreciate the enthusiasm!
John did not have any particular thing in mind. He may have thought originally about something simple, like a t-shirt, and may have been surprised by my suggestion to do a new version of the Forum III. His response to me (am I going off base??) was Larrivee would support what we might suggest, and if that was just a tee shirt, cool.
John invited us to stay in touch about whatever the group decides.
Mike

Quote from: mattwood on May 09, 2021, 08:20:37 PM
I'm interested depending on what the tonewoods end up being.  A 12 fret would be a definite plus and 03 trim level is fine by me.  I'm assuming that the back and sides would be different than before, so walnut or maple seems interesting, but I'm wondering if there are others that might work and not be overly expensive.  I wonder if the 40 series bracing is possible as well.
Matt,
I can add your comments to the spreadsheet, 12 fret and -03 trim are pretty much given. Your tonewood selection will go down as walnut or maple.
You can revise this later of course.
40-series stuff is out.
Mike