Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tension Strings  (Read 272 times)
rich.molinaro@gmail.com

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »

Are you guys using these on your Larrivee guitars? I think they are amazing and make every other strings obsolete. Interested to hear from the group.

Rich
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 01:33:33 PM »

I've been reading about these and have been curious.  The thing that has held me back is that I tune down a full step, and I'm concerned that these strings will be too floppy in that tuning.  I recently tried some of the Straight Up Strings, which are said to be very similar in design to the SC strings, and they weren't designed for lower tuning, but rather for making the most of standard tuning.  I didn't figure this out till after I'd bought them.  Otherwise really nice strings, but just didn't work well for my needs. 
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 02:12:13 PM »

Figured I'd chime back in on this topic.  Sometime last year I got a set of the SC Mid Tension strings and they were really, really nice strings.  The sound difference between them and other strings was somewhat negligible to my ear (possibly a bit more "mellow" than a standard PB string), but the FEEL was where these really hit home.  They are "softer" in feel and almost reminded me of the wrapped strings on a classical guitar but with heavier tension.  I played my set till they wore out and never bought any more, mainly because I tend to wait till I'm in a bind for strings and grab some locally. 

I was concerned that they'd not work for my lower tuning (whole step down) but they did.  They were just a tad lighter than standard mediums that I usually use, so I had to play a bit less heavy-handed than I normally do to keep them from buzzing.  I need to settle down anyway as I've always played too hard. 

Recently I got a set of John Pearse Lights for the heck of it.  Even when I was buying them I was thinking how they'd probably not work well on my guitar, but I have been enjoying them as much as anything I've ever used.  In fact, I'll be sad when they finally bite the dust because they are dialed in so nicely and have made my playing of late so much more enjoyable. 

Having said all, I bought a set of the new DADGAD strings from Santa Cruz since I tune down a whole step.  I went with the low tension. Have not put them on yet but they will be going on for my next string change.  I'll chime back in and give my thoughts when that happens. 

Anyone else using the SCGC strings?
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 07:13:52 PM »

Update: I put on the low tension DADGAD string from SCGC. 

Verdict: Underwhelmed. 

Back to my John Pearse lights (for a 1/4 of the price).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: