L-10 12 String

Started by Tarpon222, January 12, 2021, 06:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just received my 12 string. First Larivee and I love it. I'm curious about thoughts on tuning down a semitone or full tone. I've read a lot with some suggesting it will help the neck tension on 12's. This guitar feels "beefy" enough that makes me wonder about the necessity. Other question - any recommendations on capos for this acoustic? Thanks and excited about my ne Larivee!

Martin OM-28
Furch Red Series Deluxe - Cocobolo
Rickenbacker 1988 370/12 McGuinn
1975 Martin D-35
Martin HM-28/45 Custom
1996 Fano Telecaster
1960's Gibson Heritage 6 string

Both of the 12 strings I owned I used in standard tuning and a few open tunings

Never had a issue

L09Koa/12
OM03/12

Open tnings
D
DADDAD
G
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

It can definitely help prevent issues. While it should be fine to play it as you like, 12 strings are simply more prone to bellying. It ultimately comes down to which is more important, compromising your ideal set up to avoid a small risk, or enjoying the instrument to the fullest and dealing with any issues that may come up.

Personally, I think my Larrivee 12 strong sounds better with 11's and tuned half a step down so I guess I'm fortunate in that regard.

The best capo for the money is the KatsEyez (sp?) custom made brass capo. They are essentially like those silly $130 capos people in AGF buy, but completely custom sized for your instrument and half the price. They put equal pressure across the fret board to so you don't compromise your tuning (something that drove me nuts with regular capos). No spring either so they don't put unnecessary tension causing fret wear from the strings. Worth looking into.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Shubb makes a HQ capo for 12 strings. My experience with Shubbs for over 30 years is that they are durable, reliable, effective and have a relatively low profile. And they're pretty modestly priced compared to some others.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

It is built to stand up to standard tuning - if it wasn't, Larrivee would tell you so, and wouldn't cover issues under warranty. So tune to standard if that works for you.

G7 makes two capos with a rubber bar notched for 12 strings. I have both and both work well. The Heritage Yoked Capo (more traditional) is $150; the Newport is under 35.  The Newport actually get's in your way less, so it's definitely the way to go, unless you really have to have a traditional yoked capo.

You can buy them directly from England at this link: https://www.g7th.com/12-string

They're also available from Sweetwater at about the same price.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thanks so much. I REALLY appreciate all of your thoughts and recommendations.

P.S. I use 12-string sets gauged from .047 (low wound E) to .010 (high plain E strings), and tune to standard pitch. Works fine.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I tune mine down a full step with no problems. I also prefer light gauge strings and have no loss of tone or playability.

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I love this guitar. Supremely resonant and I haven't even turned on the Anthem yet. Regarding string tension and neck pressure, this guitar has weight and heft to it. I presume largely to deal with tension. There are so many differing opinions out there about tuning 12 strings. I presume, if you have a well built guitar, tuning down becomes less relevant. But appreciate the array of thoughts and experience.