Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gibson G45 studio  (Read 101 times)
Vid

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:16:07 PM »

Happy New Year everyone, This guitar is intriguing; all solid wood construction,Sitka spruce top, walnut back and sides and fretboard, tusq nut, saddle and bridge pins along with a Fishman pickup for $999.00 made in their Montana acoustic factory. ‘Could be a great dreadnaught at that price. A lot of reviews online, most, across the board are favorable. Thoughts? 
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:01:30 PM »

Nice, Vid. I haven't owned or even played a Gibson in a very long time.
Walnut B&S looks good and what appears to be a one piece neck/headstock, which kind of surprised me. Mortise and tenon to the slope-shouldered body, I guess.
If you bite on this one, let us know what you think.

(or send it to me and I'll review it.) 
Manothemtns

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 09:00:51 PM »

IMO, I think the G-45 is a great value. The tonewoods chosen are an environmentally friendly selection and I'm not sure, tone-wise, but I'd say walnut is every bit as good as mahogany. I'm sure others may disagree but I obviously like walnut. The guitar gets solid reviews.
CycleBob

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 11:06:30 PM »

I bought one back in April 2020. I love it!! I've played Gibson's in the past and they weren't for me. But, like you I was intrigued. Watched a few You tube video's and very glad I did. Got it for a little less then $999.00 and very happy with it. Easy playing, great sounding guitar. Similar to KOA, but different.

Larrivee D03E
Larrivee OM-03MT
Guild CV-1
Andrew White Cybele 1010
Manothemtns

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 11:15:19 PM »

I bought one back in April 2020. I love it!! I've played Gibson's in the past and they weren't for me. But, like you I was intrigued. Watched a few You tube video's and very glad I did. Got it for a little less then $999.00 and very happy with it. Easy playing, great sounding guitar. Similar to KOA, but different.
Congratulations! I've read only good things about the G-45. Can you load a few pics for us?

Also, if I remember, aren't they slightly narrower in depth than their big bro' J-45? If so, I'd bet it makes for a really comfortable guitar to play. Comments?
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 11:16:46 PM »

I'd love to try one.  Too bad dreads are off my list (ergonomics).

That said, the best Gibson acoustic I ever owned was a Blueridge BG-140...  lol!  Chinese made J45 clone.  At a guitar get together weekend, it was the overwhelming winner over 6 J45's.  There was a '54 J45 that was the topper though.  

Ed
CycleBob

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 11:22:25 PM »

Congratulations! I've read only good things about the G-45. Can you load a few pics for us?

Also, if I remember, aren't they slightly narrower in depth than their big bro' J-45? If so, I'd bet it makes for a really comfortable guitar to play. Comments?
Yes it does have a thinner body and a neck that get thinner as you go down towards the 12th fret.
Picture # 1 is with the new Tawny pickguard I added.
Picture 2 is with the original pickguard

* Gibson G45 Studio 1.jpg (67.95 KB, 311x615 - viewed 3 times.)

* G45 Studio.jpg (176.65 KB, 1200x1801 - viewed 5 times.)

Larrivee D03E
Larrivee OM-03MT
Guild CV-1
Andrew White Cybele 1010
Manothemtns

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 11:35:58 PM »

I'd love to try one.  Too bad dreads are off my list (ergonomics).

That said, the best Gibson acoustic I ever owned was a Blueridge BG-140...  lol!  Chinese made J45 clone.  At a guitar get together weekend, it was the overwhelming winner over 6 J45's.  There was a '54 J45 that was the topper though.  

Ed

Your BG-140 bested six J-45's? That's incredible! How did it compare to the '54?
Manothemtns

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 11:40:20 PM »

Yes it does have a thinner body and a neck that get thinner as you go down towards the 12th fret.
Picture # 1 is with the new Tawny pickguard I added.
Picture 2 is with the original pickguard
Really pretty guitar! Almost looks like an Adirondack top. Play it in good health! BTW, I like both pickguards. Glad you're the one who must choose!
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 01:21:56 AM »

Your BG-140 bested six J-45's? That's incredible! How did it compare to the '54?

It played better but the sound of the ‘54 was aaaaahhhhh......   

Ed
Vid

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 02:12:10 AM »

More specs, The word on neck to body is a dove tail neck joint with hot hide glue, can’t verify; if so that’s a lot of guitar for under a grand!
Manothemtns

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 03:02:44 AM »

It played better but the sound of the ‘54 was aaaaahhhhh......  

Ed
That's what I figured. I'm on a self-imposed buying freeze until I sell a few guitars. Meantime I'll be window shopping for an early to mid-50's D-18. I prefer mahogany to rosewood which is good, because otherwise I'd be shopping for a far more expensive vintage D-28. I just want one nice vintage Martin. If the right vintage J-45 or J-50 pops up,  I'd consider it, but I'd probably hold out for a D-18. They can be magical!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: