Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing my willpower  (Read 168 times)
jnidoh

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2021, 12:00:48 AM »

Sitting in my workshop and looking at a black Larrivee guitar case and anxious to open it and examine what's in it.  Not too anxious, it's been a year long journey, not for a custom, just a run of the mill guitar.

Started many months ago.  Heard about Larrivees and ordered an LV 03.  Simple, clean, well made guitar but not the sound I was looking for, so returned it. Liked the style, fit and finish so went looking for an LV 03 R.  Before Covid, but near the end of the year and every Larrivee dealer contacted said, sorry, sold out, 4-6 month wait on any orders.  But... there was one that said, "don't have an 03, but we have an LV 10 rwi that's 4 years old but new, that we'll give you a good price on."

We dickered and for a few hundred more then the 03, told him to send it.  When the guitar came out of the box, with the factory setup and old strings, every time I strummed a chord, as they say, the angels sang.  With only 4 years of playing under my belt, don't know anything about intonation or sustain, but my ears told me that was the best sounding guitar I would ever hear.  Tried to like it for several months but the neck thickness killed it.  Sold it a few months ago and I still miss the sound.

Fast forward to last week.  Looking for a cheap (!?) Collings OM when I came across a Larrivee OM 40 R.  Thought about the LV 10 and that beautiful sound so said, "what the heck", lets try it.  Placed the order and delivery was scheduled for Sunday (Jan 3).  Well, a fast moving squall dropped 2-4 inches of snow within 40 minutes and early that evening, received email saying delivery rescheduled for Monday.

Fedex was requiring signature on delivery so I resigned myself to sitting home and waiting.  About 10 AM, an email said the guitar was delivered and signed for.  Went out side and it was leaning against the garage door.  Thank you Fedex.....I didn't sign but who cares.  You delivered it and there seems to be no damage and I am happy.   The box said Taylor, but I knew better.  Brought it in and resisted until 1600 when I removed the case from the cardboard box.  There it sits.

Hopefully, it will be an OM 40 R when t's opened.  Can't expect the sound to be like the LV 10, but do expect a fine sounding instrument that will be a keeper.  I'm to old to rush the process....the guitar sat in the Fedex vehicle for two days in 24-28 degree weather so it can sit in my house for another 24 hours.

Will let you know on Tuesday how it looks, feels and sounds, and maybe even a pic or two if I can figure it out.

john

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 01:26:18 AM »

Hi, John.

Thanks for the compelling tale. I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Cheers,

ST

jnidoh

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »

Not sure what happened but gave detailed response with picture and it said posted.  Will wrap this up by saying the guitar is beautiful, sounds great and I like it.

john
jnidoh

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 11:21:54 PM »

ST,

Don't know what happened but tried to preview and it wouldn't, then tried to post and it said already posted.  Then lost it all......

In brief, been playing on and off for several hours today and really enjoying the sound.  Louder then expected for a guitar this size (OM). 

The diamond fret markers and the rope design around the top and sound hole are the only bling and I like the clean, unadorned look of this guitar.  Even the open back tuners seem to fit the simple styling of this instrument.

Was worried about the neck but the smooth mahogany is comfortable and fits my left hand very well.

Will probably have the action lowered in a month or two but the dealer set up isn't bad and the guitar was very playable right out of the box.

john 
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »

Hi, John.

Thanks for trying.

Enjoy your new guitar.

ST

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: