Bluetooth Hygrometer?

Started by lkjjr, November 29, 2020, 09:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any forum members have experience with remote humidity monitors?  Saw these on Amazon and thought they might be a nice convenience for monitoring humidity in guitar cases and sending alerts.
Bluetooth Hygrometer
corrected link
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

No first hand knowledge myself but, on another forum it seems well liked, fairly accurate. They also have a smaller unit with no display but sends info to your phone app.
Both were highly regarded, I'm planning to try them out myself at some point in the near future.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Thanks for the feedback. Checked out comments on AGF and decided to give these a try.  Will "report back" once I've test driven them a bit.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

No, though I highly recommend just humidifying the room the guitars are in. It's more stable and far less trouble than having to humidify each case separately and set up monitors for apps and such.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

QuoteI highly recommend just humidifying the room the guitars are in

Agreed.  That's how I would prefer it, but our situation/home environment just does't allow that at a practical cost in the wintertime.  So remote monitoring would be a welcomed convenience if the "investment" in it is modest. I can rest a bit easier without having to "visit" each case too frequently.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

Just an update...

...after the first couple of days of using these.

Unboxed them, downloaded the app and had the devices paired in about 15 minutes. I use an android phone and tablet, but there are apps in the Apple store too.  In the app you can set alarm ranges for temperature and humidity that will trigger alerts when conditions are out of the ranges set.

The sensors have a "substantial" feel to them with respect to weight and fit.  In the app you can see history of temp and humidity, and even download the data (for use in Exel or Calc, etc.) if so inclined. (If you want your data available "in the cloud" and for download you can sign up for a free account with Govee.) Because they are Bluetooth devices they perform like most other Bluetooth devices with respect to distance or other obstacles. 

These came pretty close to "accurate" compared with my previous "cheap" hygrometers that I tested with the old "saturated salt" method, so I'm comfortable that they are "accurate enough" for how I need them to be. See photos... Of course durability and accuracy over time will "tell the tale" I suppose. But, at appx. $16 for the pair it seems like a reasonable price for the convenience of remote monitoring. Heck that's not a bad price even without the Bluetooth for a reliable case monitor. As always YMMV.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

I bought some myself finally, I think they're great, well worth it in my opinion.
Seem to be fairly accurate for the purpose of keeping tabs on case & room humidity.

I'd recommend them, also, come in different sizes.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

:thumbsup
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S

Old school advice...case it, case it, case it  :coffee :donut Merry Christmas to all!

I received the D'Addario Humiditrak for Christmas. It is not even close to being accurate. The humidity in the room where I keep my guitars is 41% based on a calibrated hygrometer. I have the Humiditrak sitting right beside it and it reads the humidity at 58%. Unfortunately the Humiditrak cannot be calibrated, so I'm in the process of trying to return it to the place it came from. It's actually a great idea, but until they get control of the quality of the product they've got a ways to go.
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

Quote from: Vid on December 24, 2020, 11:32:48 AM
Old school advice...case it, case it, case it  :coffee :donut Merry Christmas to all!
Humidity levels need to be monitored in cases too.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"