Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hand/finger Excersizes?  (Read 2043 times)
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2004, 07:18:22 AM »

Anyone here have methods of excersizing the hands and fingers to improve fretting and plucking strength?  i remember seeing a guitar finger excersizer which you press buttons under spring tension but don't know if they are worthwhile...playing my OM-09 takes quite a bit more strength for both sides hands and fingers than my classical guitar so i would like to try some sort of excersizes to do in between playing times.
Thanks poki  B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 05:29:24 PM »

There is (off & on) quite a bit of discussion on this topic on the Taylor site. There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to the usefulness of finger exercises. We (hubby & I) have one of those finger exercisers, but it doesn't seem to use the muscles in the same way that fretting my guitar does, so it not been terribly useful (IMHO). I don't think they're too expensive, so it might be worth a try. Couldn't hurt.

If your schedule allows, I've found my hand strength increasing by several short practice times, spread out through the day, instead of one long (and tiring one). I also vary what I do--barre chords, then concentrating on fingerpicking, then back to barre chords for a little while... My hands are getting much stronger, but it's a slow process.

Blessings on the journey,

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 04:42:22 AM »

Thanks deb, one thing i noticed now is that since i started playing the steel string i have become much stronger at playing my classical guitar which used to tire me out.  The steel string still tires me after a while but i'm gaining strength and endurance slowly but surely...i may want to try an excersizer for what it's worth.  i also do several shorter practice sessions during the day when ever i get a chance which also helps me to absorb more without getting overwhelmed.
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: