Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LA Guitar Custom orders - show of hands?  (Read 108 times)
jpmist

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2020, 06:06:51 PM »

I've just gotten my second LA Guitar's custom model OO. Seems like 8 - 10 years ago they were doing quite a few of these off of the AGF forum. Ted apparently had a fondness for the OO's and did several customs of various models that had rare short scale necks.

Curious who here has any LA customs and what history you could share about them?

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 Short Scale • Taylor 322ce    Various Strats • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 09:49:59 PM »

I had one.  It was a L.A. Special run, not a Forum, though I think quite a few were originally ordered by Forumites.  There are times I wish I still had it, but it was never the "right" guitar that a parlor was for me.  My PV-03 is more "me" than the OO. 

Ed
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 01:22:37 AM »

Ted has good taste when it comes to short custom runs.  I really dig his Martin 00-15 and 000-15 guitars with the tort. binding.  Got to play one of the 00s last time I was down there.  Note for anyone planning on stopping by, traffic is absolutely horrendous.

Anyway,
I have one of the AGF Rainsong "shorties"

Strictly speaking, it is not a "Forum Guitar" because it was not officially sanctioned by the AGF, but rather "forum inspired" because Ted put together a feature list that folks wanted. (and we got a great price).  Custom features were the unidrectional soundboard and full sharks/abalone inlay.

Next to my OM-03R

jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 02:27:53 PM »

Ted has good taste when it comes to short custom runs.  I really dig his Martin 00-15 and 000-15 guitars with the tort. binding.  Got to play one of the 00s last time I was down there.  Note for anyone planning on stopping by, traffic is absolutely horrendous.

Anyway,
I have one of the AGF Rainsong "shorties"

Very nice guitars! -  so they weren't just Larrivee's - of course why would they be. Anyway, that's an interesting marketing tactic if you've got the buyers to sell to.

Thanks to the "Wayback" web site, I've been able to track reports that some of his Custom Larrivee's were -05 & up level models which I find droolworthy and am leaving a massive hint that I'd be interested in buying if anyone has grown tired of their OO-05. Or at least put me in their will <grin>

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 Short Scale • Taylor 322ce    Various Strats • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 02:57:00 PM »

I have one of Ted’s custom gloss 00-15’s.  Great guitar.  Love the smell and the smaller size!  It has a genuine hog top with sipo back & sides.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 03:47:46 PM »

I've just gotten my second LA Guitar's custom model OO. Seems like 8 - 10 years ago they were doing quite a few of these off of the AGF forum.

Ted apparently had a fondness for the OO's and did several customs of various models

that had rare short scale necks.

Were these "short scale necks" 24" or 24.75"?

I believe he may be the one who ordered a dozen or so parlors one time that had 24.75" necks ... to me, that would make the Larrivee parlor a much more desirable guitar...

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1988 L-09 FM (converting to lefty asap)
1992 OM-05 Custom
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2015 L-05 Custom; 2020 C-03R-TE (on order!)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 05:04:38 PM »

Worked with Ted & LAGuitars for the Forum V Build it was a pleasure and quite seamless

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 06:04:02 PM »

I believe he may be the one who ordered a dozen or so parlors one time that had 24.75" necks ... to me, that would make the Larrivee parlor a much more desirable guitar...

I’m sure he did a run or a half run of 24.75” OO’s.  That was part of what made it wrong for me.  A 24” scale neck would have gone a long way to making that OO perfect for me.

Ed
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 07:56:16 PM »

Both the LA Customs I have are 24.75" scale. Perfect couch guitar size!

I bristle a bit at them being called "parlors" as Larrivee has those "P" models I never cared for, followed by the "T" series officially termed Travel guitars.

Hadn't heard of a shorter scale, unless it's on the "P" series, I'd think it would "soften" the treble a bit more than I'd like, but that's just a guess . . .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: