Whatcha All Workin' On, Musically or Otherwise

Started by ducktrapper, September 07, 2020, 07:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So ... whatcha all workin' on, musically or otherwise now that we've had so much extra time on our hands. Are we putting it to good use? Me? Flatpicking Black Mountain Rag and Tennessee Stud both a la Doc Watson. Baby steps with the former and with the latter, I pretty much have it if I could remember all the words. Otherwise my green card.   

A new chicken run for the coop.
Other than that, nada.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on September 07, 2020, 07:56:03 PM
A new chicken run for the coop.
Other than that, nada.
Mike

Nothing like a chicken coop if you got chickens! However, pick up that guitar and learn something new!  :beer

Nothing specific, but finger picking classical and old folk. I'm lousy, but I keep trying. Gee, you don't think I'm going nutty do ya?   :ohmy:
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Recovering from a sprained wrist.  Every now and then I wonder about this getting old stuff.  Ugh

Getting running water in our rustic cabin

We'll Meet Again is the new song I'm working on.

Ed

Tryin' to work out a finger-picked arrangement of "Till There Was You" Harrison/Beatles style.  Got the pieces together, but man, the execution is a challenge, jazz chords and unique fills/runs.  George sometimes doesn't get the credit for guitar skills he deserves I think.  He came up with this in 1963? Not too many rockers would have attempted a "show" tune, or made it swing so smoothly.
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

Quote from: lkjjr on September 08, 2020, 09:01:46 AM
Tryin' to work out a finger-picked arrangement of "Till There Was You" Harrison/Beatles style.  Got the pieces together, but man, the execution is a challenge, jazz chords and unique fills/runs.  George sometimes doesn't get the credit for guitar skills he deserves I think.  He came up with this in 1963? Not too many rockers would have attempted a "show" tune, or made it swing so smoothly.

George gets lots of credit in my world. I've been working on a couple of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ0vCs-E5Bw

QuoteGeorge gets lots of credit in my world. I've been working on a couple of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ0vCs-E5Bw

Love this video and Mike Pachelli is an incredibly talented and skilled player
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

Quote from: lkjjr on September 08, 2020, 09:38:37 AM
Love this video and Mike Pachelli is an incredibly talented and skilled player

Yep. There's loads of teaching videos out there but this is one of the clearest and most accurate.   :thumb

Finally, set up my piano, a Korg T1
The short version of a long story: 30 years ago, I wanted to get back into music after a 17-year hiatus. I bought the Korg T1 and took a piano lesson. When I came back the next week, the teacher saw what I had done with my lesson and said, "Didn't you used to play guitar?" - long pause - "Do that." So I did. I put the piano away but kept it for some day.

I've had my Kemper Profiling Amp

for years. I got great playable tones out of it right away and never needed to explore its deeper capabilities.  A few months ago I got a Kemper Stage

Basically the same as the Amp in a floorboard format. It's easier to pack and carry for outdoor shows (all I'm doing these days).  I'm finally taking the time to dig into and explore all it can do.  It's astounding.

I got a Jackery Explorer 500 Portable Power Station

Now I can run my PA and everything I need without AC power.

Just got a new recording interface, the RME Babyface Pro FS

Learning Cakewalk by Bandlab. Oh, how recording has changed.

I have no plans to publish anything, but I want to have some decent recordings of my songs so I don't have to chart the music.

Oh, and I walk/jog/run 16-18 kilometers every day (about 10-11 miles) around a beach or through a forest depending on the weather.  I go early in the morning so there are very few people out. I take hundreds of pictures along the way and share those with relatives who are sheltering in place.

ST your pics of your walkabouts I'm sure are great.  You shared a few pics a while back here on the forum.  Walkabouts are the best!

Quote from: ST on September 09, 2020, 12:57:51 AM
Finally, set up my piano, a Korg T1
The short version of a long story: 30 years ago, I wanted to get back into music after a 17-year hiatus. I bought the Korg T1 and took a piano lesson. When I came back the next week, the teacher saw what I had done with my lesson and said, "Didn't you used to play guitar?" - long pause - "Do that." So I did. I put the piano away but kept it for some day.

I've had my Kemper Profiling Amp

for years. I got great playable tones out of it right away and never needed to explore its deeper capabilities.  A few months ago I got a Kemper Stage

Basically the same as the Amp in a floorboard format. It's easier to pack and carry for outdoor shows (all I'm doing these days).  I'm finally taking the time to dig into and explore all it can do.  It's astounding.

I got a Jackery Explorer 500 Portable Power Station

Now I can run my PA and everything I need without AC power.

Just got a new recording interface, the RME Babyface Pro FS

Learning Cakewalk by Bandlab. Oh, how recording has changed.

I have no plans to publish anything, but I want to have some decent recordings of my songs so I don't have to chart the music.

Oh, and I walk/jog/run 16-18 kilometers every day (about 10-11 miles) around a beach or through a forest depending on the weather.  I go early in the morning so there are very few people out. I take hundreds of pictures along the way and share those with relatives who are sheltering in place.

Wow. I looked them up. That's a pricey piano for 30 years ago. I keep mulling over getting one. I've been looking at Yamaha. How do you rate the Korg? I see them on eBay for between 500 and 1000.   

Hi, Ducktrapper.

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 09, 2020, 07:40:08 PM
Wow. I looked them up. That's a pricey piano for 30 years ago. I keep mulling over getting one. I've been looking at Yamaha. How do you rate the Korg? I see them on eBay for between 500 and 1000.   

I haven't done any research on keyboards or electric pianos since I got the Korg.  I talked to a fellow at the local music store about trading in the Korg against something more modern.  He wasn't interested in taking it in because, despite the excellent full-weighted keyboard, the electronics are 30 years old. Compared to more recent products, it is big and heavy. But that doesn't matter if you aren't moving it around.

Despite all that, it still sounds and feels great to me.

A Squier Bronco short scale bass guitar.

Replaced the pickup

Fashioned my own pickguard as a result of the pickup swap.

Learning a bunch of Paul Denman's bass lines (bassist for Sade)
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: ST on September 12, 2020, 12:22:23 AM
Hi, Ducktrapper.

I haven't done any research on keyboards or electric pianos since I got the Korg.  I talked to a fellow at the local music store about trading in the Korg against something more modern.  He wasn't interested in taking it in because, despite the excellent full-weighted keyboard, the electronics are 30 years old. Compared to more recent products, it is big and heavy. But that doesn't matter if you aren't moving it around.

Despite all that, it still sounds and feels great to me.

Thanks. I'm thinking more along the line of this. Looks pretty decent and affordable.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mZ8xFhrDuE

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 12, 2020, 05:29:14 PM
Thanks. I'm thinking more along the line of this. Looks pretty decent and affordable.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mZ8xFhrDuE
If you are buying new you might consider Casio. Up until very recently they were frequently on sale at Costco.ca for cheaper still, not sure if they will be restocking or not - lots of bang-for-$
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 13, 2020, 07:22:52 AM
If you are buying new you might consider Casio. Up until very recently they were frequently on sale at Costco.ca for cheaper still, not sure if they will be restocking or not - lots of bang-for-$

Thanks Andrew. I'll have a look at those. Not in a hurry and play keyboards like that Beagle.  :laughin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on September 07, 2020, 09:05:03 PM
Nothing like a chicken coop if you got chickens! However, pick up that guitar and learn something new!  :beer
Chickens teach some people how to dance as well.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.