How to improve guitar technique?

Started by LynnH1979, August 02, 2020, 12:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi People,

I am a fairly new guitar player (only been playing for nearly a year) and i was wondering how i could improve my guitar technique? what i would like to improve, is my finger speed, as I find it to slow to the songs i play. Any help would be nice :) btw, I own both an electric and an acoustic guitar, so any techniques/suggestions would be appreciated :) I have tried https://www.weelinks.info/u/guitar/ and various YouTube videos, looking for some more tips if possible.

Regards - Lynn

Start by just playing the alphabet in the open position.Then move on to 3 chord tunes.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Have you tried recording yourself? Playback will give you a good indication of what you need to work on.
A metronome is a very useful tool for working on your timing.

Congrats Lynn for picking up the guitar and exploring ways to get better!

I'm basically self-taught and what worked for me was to find songs I liked that I could play along to on guitar. That helps develop your sense of rhythm as well as train you to switch chords quickly. It also makes playing fun, which I worry that a lot of guitar teachers neglect. There are audio applications that will slow down the song if you need to if you're willing to learn how to use those.

Much later I latched on to an excellent guitar player, Mark Knopfler, and from copying him eventually learned how to drop the pick and play with just my right hand fingers. Lastly, you might not be ready to play up and down the neck yet, but when the time is right look into what's called the CAGED technique, which comes in handy for visualizing where all the chords/notes are on the neck.

Good luck with a great hobby and have fun!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

A great guitar mentor can evaluate your playing and give you useful and unbiased feedback about your guitar technique. Use your mentor's feedback to clean up your guitar playing and improve your guitar technique.
UK based guitarist in a rock band

Play some guitar with every level of play if your a better player then the other player you make them better as you improve.Play with someone better then you and you will improve.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help