Big Bends Nut Sauce.

Started by Silence Dogood, July 26, 2020, 02:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just bought some of this since I'm having issues with my Esquire'd tele going slightly out of tune.  I'm pretty sure it's the nut since I upgraded the tuners.  I tried pencil graphite but it's pretty hard to get it down in the slots.  I'm hoping this nut sauce stuff will do the trick.  Anyone here use this stuff, or anything like it?

I recently noticed that Rene Martinez (SRV's old tech) has something like this on the market too.  https://www.texasguitarwhiz.com/products/graphitall-applicator-bottle-with-brush

I'd have the nut slots widen.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

The slots look pretty good but it's a cheap Squier nut made of cheap materials.  The nut sauce seems to work pretty good but it still goes out of tune a bit.   I had a Strat once with Sperzel locking tuners that never went out of tune.  I might just break down and get some of those.   This always happens when getting a cheaper guitar: all the little improvements add up to what a better guitar would have cost!  

I don't use that brand but I use a white graphite paste that's probably the same thing. It helps, but nothing will fix a nut that needs to be worked. Sometimes, there's a spot that's catching and it's usually on the back (headstock) end of the nut.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on July 28, 2020, 03:24:44 PM
I don't use that brand but I use a white graphite paste that's probably the same thing. It helps, but nothing will fix a nut that needs to be worked. Sometimes, there's a spot that's catching and it's usually on the back (headstock) end of the nut.
This stuff is a white paste as well.  I'm not getting any pinging or popping from the nut.  It honestly looks pretty good and the previous owner might've done some work to it.   I put on some Wilkinson tuners but I don't think they're much better than the originals. 
:ohmy:

Update:  I decided to try something after doing some research.  I'll play for a bit and warm up my strings and the guitar, then I'll tune.  I did that today and then played for a long time.  The guitar held tune perfectly.  So I think I might've solved my problem.  In the past I'd tune up and play and always go out of tune.  I'm also trying to ease up on the way I play.  I grip the neck and pick the strings way too hard, even when playing acoustic.  And now going back to electric after playing acoustic (and mandolin) for a decade or so, my attack is even more intense.  I don't think I ever really learned to properly play the electric back in the day.  There are nuances necessary for it that are very different than the acoustic.  Anyway, live and learn, and share.  Hopefully this will be of use to someone else. 

OK, another update....  I put some 11s on the tele and really like the beefier feel better.  It holds tune even better with the extra tension, and the nut sauce helps too.  But I'm still thinking a better nut would make this guitar even better.   I'm thinking of trying to install a GraphTech nut myself once I figure out which one I need.   From the YouTube vids I've seen, it looks like a pretty easy job.   Endless tinkering...

Big Bends is awesome!! I use it every string change,on all my instruments.

An easy solution for nut-binding issues is to simply go up a string guage for a bit. The larger diameter can naturally widen the slots so when you return to your normal guage, the nut will most likely bind less.