Truss Rod Adjustment for the Seasons

Started by musicman, August 06, 2020, 11:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,

I have an OM-03-12 R that I had beautifully set up by a local tech in March of last year (it was still very cold and dry here on the east coast, guitar stored in the low to mid 40% humidity range). I'm finding recently that the guitar is harder to play, harder to fret and my fingers get tired easily. It is now summer and has been hot and humid here. My apartment is in the 55% Humidity range during the day when the AC is running. Sometimes at night it gets into the 60% range for a few hours when the AC off.

My question is, assuming the change in humidity from when I had the guitar set up to now is accounting for the difference in playability, can I adjust the truss rod myself to make it easier to play until the humidity drops back to a similar range in which it was set up? I think it's a relatively small change in action but it makes a difference.

Normally I'd just take it in to the tech for a set up, but with the pandemic I am trying to avoid anyone else handling my guitar.
Thanks for your input
D-05
OM-03R-12

The neck relief should be checked twice a year,Spring summer,Fall winter.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks Barefoot Rob, I'm relatively new to truss rod adjusting. Would I want to back bow the neck a bit to make fretting easier? To my untrained eye it looks pretty straight with maybe a little forward relief. Would I turn the truss rod wrench to the left?
D-05
OM-03R-12

First I had an OM03-12 for a while and wish I never sold it.How check neck relief is place my left hand at the first fret low "E" and my right hand at the finger board end.What your looking for is gape at the 7th fret thats about a business card between the finger board and the bottom of the string.If string is touching the fret then you want to loosen the rod a little {that's to your left}.If is bigger you want to turn the rod to the right alittle at a time.If I can help more feel free to call me my number is on my website which is in my signature.You can reach me from 11am to 7pm any day of the week EST as I'm in Florida.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks Barefoot Rob for your help. I ended up leaving it in another room where the AC is better (and the humidity is lower because of it) and it seems to be playing a bit easier now. So I'm gonna hold off on fiddling with the truss rod for now.
And the OM-03-12 is a fantastic guitar, I can't believe Larrivee doesn't have them as part of their standard line up.
D-05
OM-03R-12