Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fretboard maintenance  (Read 488 times)
gluve1

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2020, 01:26:31 AM »

So changed strings on my new L03R-TE  for the first time. Fretboard looked a little dry and dull so I put on a little lemon oil on clean and shined up a bit. So Some blackish residue got on the maple binding  binding. It doesn't wipe off. Probably because it doesn't have a thick finish on it.  I know you can't use cleaner or polish on 03 bodies because of this. Any suggestions on how to avoid this in future.  I don't do the lemon oil thing very often. But I do believe it's necessary for fretboards once in a while.
unclrob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 03:37:04 AM »

You might try some 0000 steel wool.rubbed lightly.

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 12:44:22 PM »

You might try some 0000 steel wool.rubbed lightly.
And if you feel you gotta add some oil, then Bore Oil has worked forever for me. Minimalist ideology is recommended.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 03:12:05 PM »

The FB (rosewood) on my tele was thirsty.  I thought I had some lemon oil but I was out.  I used some olive oil from the kitchen and it worked fine. 
unclrob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 08:23:18 PM »

Veggie and fruit oils can go ransit{SP} and can also damage the wood.I have used boiled linseed oil for more then 50 years and wood advise anyone to use this instead.Wipe on count to 20 and wipe off.Let any left over oil rest for 10 min and then wipe off

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 02:59:03 PM »

Thanks for the info, Rob.  Makes sense about veg/olive oil. 
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 06:12:50 AM »

The persistent idea that fret boards need oil is a myth. Mostly...

I use it once in a while, especially before I sell an instrument because it looks nice. Also, if your guitar is going to be kept outside of ideal RH then oil will help the unprotected wood so it doesn't crack during RH swings. But, it's not going to prevent cracking if a wood is going to crack (meaning it's unstable or wasn't dried enough). There's plenty of guitars that have survived decades without cracks so it's not like ebony or rosewood are ticking time bombs.

Also, fret boards absorb a lot of finger oils. So, if you feel you need oil, you're already giving it oil by playing.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 05:22:36 AM »

I have used a wide variety of oils "meant" for fret boards. My verdict is any mineral oil, scented or not, will do the part. Everything else seem to go tacky and result in gunk build-up.

I am of the opinion though that a guitar's bridge, fretboard needs moisture like any other wooden part of it. The moisture in the air or inside your case from the case/guitar humidifier is all it needs to stay crack-free.
There are conditioners though which help to maintain the shine and good looks on semi-polished ebony. I found 1880 Violin polish and am pleased I did, it is all I use, period.

Try it, you can thank me later...
Conditioner

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
HermanHughs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 06:13:30 PM »

In fine arts, in furniture, and why not on guitars?  Wax is the most preserving material there is.  Bees wax is a microcrystalline wax used for centuries to preserve wood.  I have using this on my Martin 0015-M with no ill effects for years.   

* Do-Nut.jpg (26.35 KB, 150x130 - viewed 47 times.)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 01:29:44 AM »

The persistent idea that fret boards need oil is a myth. Mostly...

We disagree on some things...  but not this.

I'm 63 in a couple months which means I've been playing guitar, in earnest, for just about 50 years.  In my experience, oil on fretboards does more to attract and cling to dirt than any "benefit" to the wood.

IF I were to use any oil on my fretboard(s), I'd follow quickly after with some sort of solvent...  mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, etc.

Ed
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 03:53:46 AM »

Also, fret boards absorb a lot of finger oils. So, if you feel you need oil, you're already giving it oil by playing.

Now that's just plain silly.  Fingers would only oil the fretboard at the highest three frets.   

Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 01:59:18 PM »

https://www.howardproducts.com/product/feed-n-wax-wood-polish-and-conditioner/

^^^  I bought an old used guitar recently to flip and it had a dry FB.  I had some of this stuff in the garage and used it.  Worked really well (and smelled great too). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: