The Revolving Door: Gibson SG Incoming

Started by Mikeymac, July 06, 2020, 10:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seems like an appropriate title, as I have guitars coming in, guitars for sale, guitars leaving, guitars on order.

Don't worry - I DO also play them and enjoy them! But sometimes it takes a little time to assess each instrument to decide which ones will stay in the herd...

So I found a used lefty SG for a pretty good price with the right options (mainly '57 Classic pups and small guard) and a few things I can live with (Natural Burst finish instead of the lovely SG dark red mahogany) or change (bulky locking Grover tuners).

This is to (kinda) replace one I foolishly sold several years ago... as I'm getting older, that lightweight SG body is becoming a much better idea for playing standing up on a strap!

Will arrive Thursday, I'll update more then.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

DANG Son thats pretty but G.A.S. your showing is SCAREEEEEEE.It making me want to buy a new toy!!!!!
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Nice guitar, Mike. The SG styling is really classic. I never played very much electric guitar myself, but always loved the look of this Gibson.
Have fun!

Looking forward to your update. Have hung onto this for a looong time and slammed the door shut; tho it doesn't get out much as been replaced by the RS guitars
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on July 07, 2020, 12:26:41 PM
Looking forward to your update. Have hung onto this for a looong time and slammed the door shut; tho it doesn't get out much as been replaced by the RS guitars

Very cool - a very different SG!

:nice guitar:

It's here! And very much as described - really in great condition for a guitar that might get beaten to death playing good ol' rock 'n' roll... there's one other minor blemish on the side of the body that wasn't really mentioned or pictured, but it's minor and no big deal.

A few quick observations:

**The tuners are smooth as glass, and I'm not really noticing any terrible headstock dive beyond the usual for an SG, so I think they're gonna stay for now.

**I've plugged it in briefly and everything works; I'll change strings before I make any final judgments about the tone, but right now it's right in the wheelhouse.

**I'll tweak the truss rod a hair; there's a bit more relief in the neck than there should be. That should address the minor action issue going up the neck.

**Speaking of the neck, it's one of the bulky 50's style, with hefty shoulders. I'm good with that, in part because of the stability it provides on an SG. So far everything looks rock solid.

**Came with a basically brand new Road Runner case (still had the plastic wrap on the "Road Runner" metal plate on the outside of the case. Everything smells clean and no smoke, etc.

Win-win!

Here's a very crappy cell phone pic (I need a new phone) just to prove it arrived - the better pics are earlier in this thread from the Reverb seller:

Just one more observation:

THIS IS A GREAT GUITAR!!!

I've only done two tweaks to this thing (other than changing strings to EB Slinky 10-46); I lowered the bridge just a bit, and adjusted the pickups to taste. This thing plays great, sounds incredible, and if you know how to use the volume and tone controls on one of these, it's very versatile...you can play about anything on this (including country twang, a la Telecaster).

This has definitely been a BEST BUY - especially since I was a little leery going into the deal. The seller had excellent feedback, but in our transactions, I was getting a bit of a *warning* vibe... including that he had done (or had someone do) a rewiring job on it...sometimes that can be a red flag. But he sent me a pic of the control cavity, and everything looked clean, so I went for it.

Glad I did.

Just an update, with a few more pics (one pic with my Carvin DC-150, which got a new set of black-covered Bluesbucker pickups, which sound outstanding)...

Okay, okay - four more pics of the Carvin...