Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Factory String weight  (Read 384 times)
gluve1

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2020, 12:10:43 AM »

I know its somewhere on the forum but apparently I don't now how to search right.  What gage of string does a new 3 series Larrivee come from factory with? Lite,  medium?
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 01:13:57 AM »

I believe all L, OM, 000, and smaller use light or med/light (name varies by maker as does the the set) starting with 12 on the E. Dreads and other large guitars use medium (13 on the E).

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 03:46:06 AM »

It has varied year by year.

All mine shipped with Phosphor Bronze lights (12s), but a few years back they switched to mediums (13's)

They had been shipping with EXP-17s, but as far as I know those were discontinued, so I don't know what they are currently using.

Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:25:08 PM »

It would be helpful (and easy) if makers, including Larrivee would put the spent string package in the case pocket for the consumer so she would know what strings were on it.
Me; I don't care, but I don't obsess about strings. I use what I like or what seems to work, which is most strings with the exception of silk.
Strings are cheap. Don't like 'em? Put another set on.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 03:51:26 PM »

It would be helpful (and easy) if makers, including Larrivee would put the spent string package in the case pocket for the consumer so she would know what strings were on it.

Probably use bulk strings, so there isn't a package to throw in the case.

Recently John Jr. posted somewhere here about current string gauges used on Larrivees. Most Larrivees are now shipping with Light Gauge strings, however, I believe John said there were a couple models shipping with Mediums...just can't remember which models those were (one may have been parlors, because of their short scale).

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1988 L-09 FM (converting to lefty asap)
1992 OM-05 Custom
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2015 L-05 Custom; 2020 C-03R-TE (on order!)
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 06:29:32 PM »

Recently John Jr. posted somewhere here about current string gauges used on Larrivees. Most Larrivees are now shipping with Light Gauge strings, however, I believe John said there were a couple models shipping with Mediums...just can't remember which models those were (one may have been parlors, because of their short scale).
You’re probably right.
But wouldn’t it be nice?
willynelson13

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 06:39:33 PM »

It seems they use both as indicated above. During free string promotions on the Larrivee proshop they offer a choice of either a set of D'Addario EXP16's or EXP17's. And they are usually coated. And they don't come in a package, so yes they are most likely bulk strings.

OM-01
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 02:37:26 AM »

They do, I've seen pictures of the bins.  Big cardboard boxes with D'Addario colored ball ends sticking out.

Emerald Guitars included the packaging for the strings on my Chimaera though. 80/20s on the 12-string neck and PBs on the 6.   

Justme

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 10:33:08 PM »

They told me last week that the parlors always use medium strings. I put some lights on my P-10 and it sounds pretty weak.

Larrivee: P-10 BZ
Martin: HD-28, 000-28VS, 000-15S
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 12:44:42 AM »

They told me last week that the parlors always use medium strings. I put some lights on my P-10 and it sounds pretty weak.

Currently.  My 1999 Parlor shipped with lights.    I've tried mediums and it chokes the sound.

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 03:02:25 AM »

Currently.  My 1999 Parlor shipped with lights.    I've tried mediums and it chokes the sound.

I've said it before, but I settled on bluegrass (medium bottom (EAD) and light treble (GBe) on my 99 parlor. 

But, it's like asking what flavor ice cream you like...

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: