1984 Larrivée Lancaster

Started by Ian Rossiter, June 21, 2020, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just made a deal for my Buddies 1984,Lancaster; White,Hardtail,original single coil now sporting a Humbucker in the bridge. Steal of a price...insufferably pleased with myself!! Lol.
So, who can educate me on these guitars??
Thanks.

Well I can add a little:  I would suggest the best value in the Vintage Guitar market today, playability is superb along with the Craftmanship we expect from Larrivee and the Hardware is topshelf. It doesn't have Gibson or Made in USA Fender on the headstock soooo they are a steal for anyone who wants a suberbly kickass electric guitar.

As for the guitar I assume its a bolt on neck thus would have been marketed as an LS-1 following the nomenclature:

Neck Configuration:   R = Neck thru and L = Bolt on
Body Style:  S = Strat and T = Tele
Pickup Configuration:  A number was used such as 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on the PUP set up

Single humbucker in bridge position
All bolt-on necks were made of a single piece of eastern maple
All fingerboards were ebony
Bodies for bolt-on necks were alder

And here's mine  :whistling:

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Awesome!!
Mine is/will be a White bolt-on that was SSS , now HSS.
Thanks for the info!!

Quote from: Ian Rossiter on June 22, 2020, 12:23:14 PM
Awesome!!
Mine is/will be a White bolt-on that was SSS , now HSS.
Thanks for the info!!
oh sorry I read your initial wrong I read you only had one p/u. So yours was an LS-3 modified to an LS-4

Well then here's my sss - LS-3   :ohmy:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Well, she's here !!
My buddy dropped her off yesterday. Aside from some wiring issues (easy fix) she's pretty cool!! For a "shred" Guitar of that era, it's really,really well built, (duh).
She feels solid, and an INSTRUMENT, not some day-glo POS that a lot of guitars of that era were. It's a Larrivée', make no mistake. This ain't no MTV prop.
Sustain and playability are on point, the neck is as straight as a whip. The body resonates really well unplugged and through the amp. Balances perfectly sitting and standing, the contours are really really comfortable.
Gonna bring her to my tech for a Spa day and to get the wiring up to snuff and my new (to me) Studio Rock Guitar will be put to work!!

:gotpics:

What did Larrivée use for Humbucker's back in 84'? I have no idea what's in there now but it would be cool to put her back to (albeit modded) spec.

Quote from: Ian Rossiter on July 31, 2020, 01:20:27 PM
What did Larrivée use for Humbucker's back in 84'? I have no idea what's in there now but it would be cool to put her back to (albeit modded) spec.
Ian you managed to confuse me, I thought your guitar was stock sss  :? As far as pickups being a 1984 a stock Humbucker likely was an EMG or even a in house Larrivee but possibly that might have been a little early for Larrivee. As well stock could have been pickups other than Larrivee or EMG; as manufacturers of PUP's at that time were romancing Guitar Makers  so many different manufacturers were always sending samples and many times Larrivee would leave it as stock so long as it worked. Clear as mud? I think the majority though at that time would have been EMG

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on July 31, 2020, 04:01:43 PM
  Ian you managed to confuse me, I thought your guitar was stock sss  :? As far as pickups being a 1984 a stock Humbucker likely was an EMG or even a in house Larrivee but possibly that might have been a little early for Larrivee. As well stock could have been pickups other than Larrivee or EMG; as manufacturers of PUP's at that time were romancing Guitar Makers  so many different manufacturers were always sending samples and many times Larrivee would leave it as stock so long as it worked. Clear as mud? I think the majority though at that time would have been EMG

Oh, sorry!! It was born a SSS, but at some point an owner put in a Bridge Humbucker. Sorry for the confusion

Alas, upon investigation the bridge Humbucker turned out to be a Washburn neck Humbucker. My buddy gave me his unused Dimarzio PAF. Used her in the Studio a few nights ago for a couple of Bluesy/Rock solos. Sounded marvellous with a Dumble setting on the Kemper. Even did some slide!!
What a cool little guitar!!