Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K & K or Anthem  (Read 507 times)
gluve1

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2020, 07:43:10 PM »

So on Tuesday I'm planning on buying a L03R-TE. No pickup comes with these. I know the consensus years ago around here use to be K & K  was the favorite. Since then the LR Baggs Anthem has come out. What's everyone options on what's better now. I feel like if I went with Baggs I would want the version that you can blend the pickup and mic to taste.  Opinions on that appreciated a well.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 05:17:19 AM »

Never really been a fan of Baggs anything.

I put a K&K in my Rainsong and a JJB330 in my Larrivee Parlor.

Only issue with the K&K or JJB is you have to be willing to lug around a DI box with you just in case the impedance to the board is too high (long run(

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 08:32:17 PM »

I use Baggs active Ibeam and the Anthem SL for years and just installed the new Anthem in a clients OM40 hog top in sunburst and like the controls on it a vol and a mix sounded nice.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
photodork

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 09:04:40 PM »

k+k and trinity mic with a PMB 2 blender preamp is what i use. wouldnt use anything else.

1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 07:01:55 PM »

K&K...  going into most acoustic amps (Ultrasound, Fishman, Fender, etc) amps, it sounds great with no preamp.  Going straight into a mixer, it needs a preamp.  The K&K Pure Preamp works great for me.

Ed
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 01:42:58 AM »

So on Tuesday I'm planning on buying a L03R-TE. No pickup comes with these. I know the consensus years ago around here use to be K & K  was the favorite. Since then the LR Baggs Anthem has come out. What's everyone options on what's better now. I feel like if I went with Baggs I would want the version that you can blend the pickup and mic to taste.  Opinions on that appreciated a well.
Congrats on the new guitar. You do not say if you are a pro, recording artist, or whatever, but we know you are a Tommy fan.
Also, you don't say if you have played the TE or not before buying.
I have played the TE, and you could be wasting your money if you put a K&K/microphone system or any expensive system like it into that guitar.
It just isn't that special.
You will get really good sound with a K&K pure mini by itself, or if you don't want to commit to a permanent system, get a good sound hole pickup to work with until you get the guitar itself sorted out, set up and playing well. I have a couple of Baggs M1 passives I use, nothing to complain about, but I am not a pro.
Just my opinion.
Mike
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »

I have played the TE, and you could be wasting your money if you put a K&K/microphone system or any expensive system like it into that guitar.

It just isn't that special.

Mike, are you talking about the guitar or the K&K/microphone system when you say, "It just isn't that special"?

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1988 L-09 FM (converting to lefty asap)
1992 OM-05 Custom
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2015 L-05 Custom; 2020 C-03R-TE (on order!)
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 10:26:12 PM »

Played it today. It was special enough I brought it home. It's loud and proud.  Fist thing my wife said was it's loud. I have had several nice acoustics over the years.  First time she could make and distinction sound wise between any of them. She not the musical type.  Definitely like it better then the L03R I bought in 2011. But there's something about 12th fret joint guitars I've always preferred.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »

Sounds awesome (especially since I have one of these on order).

It would be interesting to know what pickup Tommy is using in his original Larrivee C-10. Maybe that's the one to get...

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1988 L-09 FM (converting to lefty asap)
1992 OM-05 Custom
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2015 L-05 Custom; 2020 C-03R-TE (on order!)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 05:16:31 PM »

K&K Pure mini or the Trinity for me

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Capefear

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 02:52:05 AM »

My two performing guitars are a Martin D18 and a Larrivee L09 (Oxnard). Both have K&K pre mini with Pre-phase Preamp (w/volume) in the sound hole.I like it a lot. If you are interested, another stellar pickup (imho) is the Baggs M80. I have a friend with a Yairi dread, keeps the M80 in her (oh... I mean 'it') and always sounds great in from of a mic.  As usual, ymv.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: