C03R -TE ?

Started by gluve1, June 15, 2020, 05:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Been away from Larrivee and the Forum for awhile now. Had an L03R back in 2011. Sold it and a bunch of other stuff to buy a hand made classical.  I'm looking at coming back now. What has got my attention is the  C03R-TE.  Hits several points for me. Always felt Larrivee was a fine guitar. Something about 12th fret joint guitars I have always preferred.  And a huge fan of Tommy Emmanuel.  Haven't got to play one yet. What's the general  consensus about them around here. Scanned through a bit since I have not been on here for some time.  Didn't see much. I'm sure it here somewhere. Those of you who own one give me some feed back.  Especially if you own one of the standard 3  models and can compare. Are the worth the difference  in price.

Quote from: gluve1 on June 15, 2020, 05:30:04 PM
Been away from Larrivee and the Forum for awhile now. Had an L03R back in 2011. Sold it and a bunch of other stuff to buy a hand made classical.  I'm looking at coming back now. What has got my attention is the  C03R-TE.  Hits several points for me. Always felt Larrivee was a fine guitar. Something about 12th fret joint guitars I have always preferred.  And a huge fan of Tommy Emmanuel.  Haven't got to play one yet. What's the general  consensus about them around here. Scanned through a bit since I have not been on here for some time.  Didn't see much. I'm sure it here somewhere. Those of you who own one give me some feed back.  Especially if you own one of the standard 3  models and can compare. Are the worth the difference  in price.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=53797
You may have seen the thread.
I liked the guitar, tho it is a rosewood and I am a mahogany person. Played well.
Worth it? If you add the custom pricing for 12 fret and florentine cutaway dropped down to dealer pricing, yes it is fair.
Only one owner in the group so far (I think), and a lefty will be delivered one day to another.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Yeah, the specs on this one tick a lot of boxes for me, too. I've come to realize that I really like the L-body design above most others, both the comfort and the tone (I have three now; one each of Mahogany, Maple and Rosewood).

The C-03R-TE will be my 4th L-body, and the 12th fret design will be interesting to compare to the others as you said. Probably won't see mine for another 6 months or so; don't know when Larrivee is going to reopen and start building guitars, but my order is in!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

There is about to be another C-03R-TE owner on the forum.  I found out on Friday (from John Jr.) that I won Larrivee's C-03R-TE giveaway!!!  To say that I'm excited is a huge understatement.  It should be winging its way to Victoria B.C. shortly.  It should make a great companion to my L03R.  I play almost exclusively fingerstyle and T.E. is a major inspiration for me so it's a joy to have won.  The only thing that remains is to go to T.E.'s concert and have a matching autograph (to the label) on the lower bout.  Cheers!

J
L-03R
F-III IS/M
C-03R-TE won in Larrivee give away :)
A few electrics that don't get played much

Congratulations Jeff!
Be sure to report back after you have taken delivery, give us your impressions on the TE model.
:nice guitar:

Congrats Jitterboogie, I was wondering when Larrivee announced the winner if it was a forum member.
Very nice, please do give us a review when you get it.  :thumb
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Also want to add my congrats, Jeff! (Even though I had ordered a lefty one already, I hoped I'd win, so I could give it to my son, who plays righty!).

As others have said, pics and a review when you have a chance.   :thumb

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

Thanks all.  I'll be happy to share my thoughts when it arrives.  Happy Canada day!
L-03R
F-III IS/M

Quote from: jitterboogie on July 01, 2020, 12:20:26 PM
Thanks all.  I'll be happy to share my thoughts when it arrives.  Happy Canada day!
Ohhh, now you're just making me homesick :crying:
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: Rockysdad on July 01, 2020, 12:40:43 PM
Ohhh, now you're just making me homesick :crying:

Where's home for you?

I think it's cool that Larrivee use to have a shop in Victoria so, in a sense, the C03R-TE is coming home. 
L-03R
F-III IS/M

Quote from: jitterboogie on July 01, 2020, 01:08:07 PM
Where's home for you?

I think it's cool that Larrivee use to have a shop in Victoria so, in a sense, the C03R-TE is coming home. 
Born & raised just west of Toronto, been in El Paso for the last 21 years ( unfortunately )
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: jitterboogie on June 30, 2020, 11:45:53 PM
There is about to be another C-03R-TE owner on the forum.  I found out on Friday (from John Jr.) that I won Larrivee's C-03R-TE giveaway!!!  To say that I'm excited is a huge understatement.  It should be winging its way to Victoria B.C. shortly.  It should make a great companion to my L03R.  I play almost exclusively fingerstyle and T.E. is a major inspiration for me so it's a joy to have won.  The only thing that remains is to go to T.E.'s concert and have a matching autograph (to the label) on the lower bout.  Cheers!

J

congrats on the win!
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Congrats jitterboogie!
:nana_guitar

My C03R-TE arrived last night from Vancouver last night from John Jr.  My thanks again to Larrivee for holding this contest.  Here are my impression of the guitar.  The fit and finish of the guitar is superb as we've all come to expect from Larrivee.  The florentine cut away is particularly beautiful.  The maple binding (which I don't have on my L-03R) is a nice touch as is the herringbone purfling.  The sitka top was obviously chosen with great care.  Nice ring spacing and just a bit of figuring.  The neck is satin and plays fast.  I've played my L-03R so much that the neck is now polished to a near semi-gloss.  Fret work and fret ends are perfect and smooth.

The action straight out of the box was just the way I like it.  Low-medium that is perfect for fingerstyle that allows for lots of dynamics.  Should be fine for moderate picking/ strumming although I haven't used a pick in years.  The sound is quite similar to the L-03R but with a bit more clarity with a bit more emphasis on the higher frequencies.  I changed the strings on my L03R so it would be an accurate A/B comparison.  This is great for fingerstyle to allow the higher melody lines to pop out from the mix.  The florentine cutout makes this guitar very versatile.  I play a version T.E.'s "Angelina" which is drop D capoed two frets up.  The  cutaway allows for access to the upper register to smoothly play the harmonics at the end of the tune.  This is a problem for my LS03 (small body) which does not have a cut away.

I find that I can tell very quickly if I am going to bond with a guitar after I play it for a short while (assuming the set up and strings are good).  I have bonded with the C03R-TE.  I love the playability, versatility and sound quality.  And the comfort.  Forgot to mention that.  Speaking as a fingerstyle player, this guitar is wonderful.  I'll post some pictures later but now I've got to get back to my playing!  Cheers.

Jeff
L-03R
F-III IS/M

Nice review - sounds promising (as I have one of these on order!). Looking forward to pics when your fingers get sore!  :thumb

:coffee :donut

Kudos for Larrivee for giving away a guitar and to jitterboogie for adding a review here. Really cool that there is a Tommy E. model. What an endorsement!

Here are a few pix of the recently arrived C03R-TE: :smile:
L-03R
F-III IS/M

Sweet!  :nice guitar:
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Congratulations.
Nice guitar.
:thumb

Your review is very good and descriptive.
It matches my impressions from when I played the TE locally.
You also have a couple very nice guitars to go with it.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)