NGD: SD-60 (2007)

Started by Cadillac Kid, June 14, 2020, 10:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So I posted this in the other thread but realized many people probably stopped looking in there since I was just asking for advice on which to buy. So here she is. Got it off reverb at a fair price and it came Thursday. She is awesome. Great full dark overtones. I have an OM-05 that has the high frequencies fully covered. This takes care of the other end of the spectrum quite nicely. I hope this makes my GAS subside for at least a week.

Reverb link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, that is absolutely beautiful.  Congratulations on a great find.

Hey, that is absolutely beautiful.  Congratulations on a great find.

Very nice. Be sure to try many types of strings as these things are highly responsive to string changes.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

:nice guitar:

Beautiful, for sure!

But yeah ... I give your GAS about a week...  :whistling:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

:nice guitar:, Enjoy it for years to come.  :thumb
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: B0WIE on June 14, 2020, 09:37:03 PM
Very nice. Be sure to try many types of strings as these things are highly responsive to string changes.
Thanks for the tip. I need to step outside of the box on that. I have been stuck on the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings. They are wonderful on my OM. A tad dark on this SD I would say. Any recommendations to brighten it a tad?

Quote from: Cadillac Kid on June 15, 2020, 08:52:49 AM
Thanks for the tip. I need to step outside of the box on that. I have been stuck on the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings. They are wonderful on my OM. A tad dark on this SD I would say. Any recommendations to brighten it a tad?
My favorites were Newtone, which are a British strings and kinda expensive in the states. Elixrs are a bit obnoxious in some ways but they do help the SD60 punch like a bullet. Another good thing is that they last a long time and one thing you don't want on a Larrivee SD is dead string. These instruments already have a strong fundamental so when the overtones in the strings die they sound really dull and boomy. Vibrant, fresh strings are a must IMO. If you ever feel like you're falling out of love with it, just put some fresh strings on.

Quote from: B0WIE on June 15, 2020, 09:01:04 AM
My favorites were Newtone, which are a British strings and kinda expensive in the states. Elixrs are a bit obnoxious in some ways but they do help the SD60 punch like a bullet.

Thanks. I'll try and find some 80/20s I like. I liked the tone of elixirs but I am 98% fingerstyle and the coating would fray within a couple weeks of play. So I'll have to see what other 80/20s make it snap.

Quote from: B0WIE on June 14, 2020, 09:37:03 PM

Put on Ernie ball Aluminum bronze originally. Meeeeh.

Just changed them to Ernie Ball Paradigm 80/20s.  :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar

She is lovey.

Quote from: Cadillac Kid on June 20, 2020, 07:33:44 PM
Put on Ernie ball Aluminum bronze originally. Meeeeh.

Just changed them to Ernie Ball Paradigm 80/20s.  :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar

She is lovey.
I tried those on my 60' too. The alum were screaming bright for two days then dull and muted.
Not familiar with the Paradigm.

BTW, the Elixirs I've had luck with are the newer type of coat, not the other one that shreds easily. I mostly play fingerstyle with nails and they have held up well. They do shred a little after 3 weeks but it hasn't affected to tone much and I use them for about 2 months, until the trebles have given up brilliance. Not my favorite strings but I hate changing strings so they help with that.

Tried a couple types of Diaddario coated but they just didn't have enough clarity for me on that guitar.

Cool guitar, congrats.
I had a 2005 SD-50 and miss it a lot. The earlier ones like yours had a wider neck at the nut which I loved
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

For strings, I hope this won't sound like heresy, but try some Martin Phosphor Bronze - they have Mediums, Medium-Lights (.0125 - .055) and Lights.

Also try DR Strings Veritas Phosphor Bronze, available in both Medium and Lights. They have enough power that I've started just using the Lights because they sound so good. The Veritas cost a little more ($8.49 or so at MF) but I think they do last longer, as they claim.

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

What a beautiful guitar.  If I could get any Larrivee of my choosing (dreams?) the SD60 is what I'd want.  I have a Martin D35S which is very similar in style and woods that I've had since 1972, and love it as much or more than ever.

Over the years I've played all sorts of strings on it, playing mostly with the emphasis on finger picking, filled out with strumming, all with bare finger tips. I played Newtone Masterclass strings whenever I could get them, and thought they were the best tone for this guitar.  Once they became nearly impossible to get I switched over to D'Addario "Bluegrass" sets with medium bottoms and light tops. Even though I don't play bluegrass style I though these were excellent on a slope shouldered, rosewood dread too.

In the last couple of years I've had to make some concessions to aging hands and tried out silk and steel a bit.  Although still very sweet sounding, I missed the warmth of phosphor wound strings.  To remedy that I've been playing silk and phosphor sets for a while now (both D'Addarion and GHS sell some nice sounding sets).  I play with a very light touch from the right hand so, depending on playing style, YMMV.

Either way I know you'll love the tones once you find the strings that "speak" to you the best.  Let us know what you find.  And would love to hear your SD60 in action.

Congrats...

2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH

I took another pic in the yard... I'm liking the 80/20s I have on it now.. they are 12/54s. I'm thinking of getting set up for lights.  I'm a fairly delicate fingerpicker so it might make my life much easier.

I have another Larrivee that was Plek'd and set up 13th Street Guitars down in Huntington Beach, CA. I think I'll do the same with this SD. Really get it dialed in.

The wider neck is also getting more enjoyable to play each day as my hand grows more accustomed.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Very nice.  I just love 12th frets