Sold - 1998 C-05

Started by mike in lytle, May 25, 2020, 11:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finally sold to a persistent forum member August 2021.
Since the guitar was a daily player, I did have the frets redressed before sending it off.

Really good condition 1998 C-05 which I have had for 4 years. SN 23728.
$950.00, to include shipping via USPS and paypal fees, to lower 48 only
Selling to help finance something else, and soundwise, it's duplicate of my L-05.

Plays easy, sounds great. I have done nothing to it, no setup, adjustments or anything, because it was in my zone when I got it.
Mahogany back and sides, don't know the top wood, it is very light colored. No cracks or repairs.
Guitar is in the same shape as when I got it. Stable. Been in the music room, never been outside. Controlled environment. Humidified during the winter when needed. Otherwise, lives on a stand on a table with 4 other Larrivees.
Has new Mangan PB 11-52 currently, but I have also used 12-53 a lot.
Straight edge hits maybe .04 below top of bridge. Plenty of saddle. This guitar will not need a neck reset or a bridge shave anytime soon, maybe never.
Undersaddle pickup, battery clip just under serial number. Works well. Don't know if it is original.
Action at low E 12th fret .070. Neck is straight. Plays up and down neck with no effort.
Two dings in lower bout, like that when I got it. Otherwise, very shiny and clean, finish is in great shape.
Clear pickguard was gone when I got it, no pick scratches and the lightest of haze which you can only see in reflected light.
No truss rod tool.
Case is not good looking, but sound, good shape on inside, one latch is broken.
More pics will follow.
PM or email to springbranchhome at gmail dot com.
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Pics of dings, broken case latch....

1 23/32 nut?
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

Quote from: fitness1 on May 25, 2020, 02:03:30 PM
1 23/32 nut?

1-3/4 nut, and there is also a bit of fret wear on it, not severe, but noticeable.
(Edit 12-4-2020) the nut is 1-3/4, but a measure of the neck itself adjacent to the nut is indeed 1-23/32. The neck itself is 1-3/4 at around the first fret.

Quote from: fitness1 on May 25, 2020, 04:48:38 PM
I think that's an extremely rare bird - almost all C's from that era that I've owned were more narrow.
You for sure know more than I do about the history.....
I have had two 1998 C-05's, the first was junk I got for free and put 400 bucks in to a neck reset and structural repair, and it turned out to be a fine player. I did notice on that that guitar the nut, although at 1-3/4, the string spacing at nut was equivalent to a 1-11/16 nut. Don't know when it would have been done. It played really well and sounded great. It now lives in Sweden with my stepson. If I were to keep this one, I would change the nut and reduce the string spacing, as I have done on my recent OM-03m and will do on my other Larrivees as time goes by.
Mike

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 06, 2020, 10:27:59 AM
Mike, is this only listed here, or do you have it listed on Reverb?  
Only listed here. May list it on the Larrivee FB page later.

Just saying, one could make an offer on the guitar and maybe not be disappointed, at least have a discussion.
Mike

Quote from: eded on July 19, 2020, 08:01:29 PM
If I could do 25.5" scale and deep body, we'd be having a discussion.
Ed
Thanks for that, it is indeed a long scale, standard depth L-body.
Also, it has an aftermarket compensated saddle, and had aftermarket bridge pins, which based on looks, are buffalo horn. They will be included with the guitar, since I have installed Larrivee bone pins meanwhile, only because I personally wanted white pins.
Mike

Can you confirm actual nut width and bridge string spacing measurements?  Email to nwapoolguy@gmail.com for easier communication sir.  Jeff

Quote from: nwapoolguy on July 23, 2020, 04:16:16 PM
Can you confirm actual nut width and bridge string spacing measurements?

Nut is 1-3/4
(Edit 12-4-2020) the nut width is 1-3/4, the neck width adjacent to the nut is 1-23/32.
Bridge string spacing 2-3/16.

Down on the price. C-05's probably not so much in fashion just now.....

Was asked for a pic of the fret wear. Shown is B string 2nd and 3rd fret, typical. This is a  well played guitar. If it wasn't a good guitar, it would not be well played, nor would I still be playing it daily.
Fret wear on the guitar is more of shiny spots, one cannot feel it by rubbing a nail across it. It doesn't affect my own playing of the guitar in any way, but like anything else, may affect one's own opinion when considering purchase.
Mike

I have represented the guitar as 22 years old and in really good condition.
Attached is pic of a straightedge at the bridge. This was the deal killer for one potential buyer. I understand that concern completely.
However, as the owner/player of this guitar, I would never consider a neck reset. If I end up keeping it, I will do nothing to the guitar, except replace the nut to narrow up the string spacing to my preference.
The distance from the soundboard to the G and D strings is 11.5 to 12 mm (.45 to .47), this results from the low action on the guitar.
The bridge height is approx .365 in the middle, which is similar to my other Larrivees.
I also think the neck profile is a bit slimmer than my more recent Larrivees. The neck feels good in the hand and plays fast.

Quote from: B0WIE on December 10, 2020, 09:57:02 PM
FWIW, the straight edge test isn't always trustworthy on Larrivees. I've had Larrivees where the neck set was perfect but a straight edge measured a little low at the bridge. In two cases, this was due to the upper fretboard drooping a bit (which can happen in Larrivees, esp older ones).
I would judge on action alone and not the straight edge test as it doesn't tell the full story in these guitars. In my experience at least.
I agree with you and thanks for bringing that out. Several of my other Larrivees are also imperfect on the straight edge test.
Mike