Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Non-Larrivee Acoustic Is On Your *DREAM* List?  (Read 2797 times)
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2021, 12:46:37 AM »

I find this kind of question/thread hard to deal with/respond to because, in part, I haven't played all the guitars that are out there.  And, frankly, don't want to.  I'm not the kind that goes into a lot of guitar stores to play stuff on the wall.  For example, I've not played a Martin orF many other mainline brands.  Don't care.  And there are so many boutique builders that are certainly not available to play around here that I'll never have a chance to play so this kind of thread becomes impossible to answer in any definitive way.

However, I've got a couple of guitars that I think are outstanding but would I buy another from the same maker.  Maybe, is the answer.  For example, I have a Halcyon and have one on order for delivery next year.  Is it a 'dream' guitar?  Maybe since I have yet to decide on woods.  I also have a Boucher and it's a great guitar but would I get another?   I have a Larrivee that I really like and I'm on board for the FVI but will it be the 'dream' guitar?  I also have a Crosby that is proving to be a reeeeally nice guitar but would I have Russel build another?

I've never played a Collings or a Santa Cruz or many other custom small volume luthiers.  How would I know?  I tend to think that not having a 'dream' guitar is likely the best way to go and just enjoy the ones I have.
Well, I don't have a dream guitar list, so I never posted to this subject, but Jamolay's post was too good to pass up.
Your own first paragraph was great. Somehow, I immediately substituted "beer" and had a laugh. Never needed to drink all of them out there.
I like your final thought, and agree. The ones we have are the ones we like. Kind of like living in the present. I would "aspire" to be a better player, because that effort lies with me, and the guitars I have now allow for that.
Mike
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2021, 01:06:11 AM »

I find this kind of question/thread hard to deal with/respond to because, in part, I haven't played all the guitars that are out there.  And, frankly, don't want to.  I'm not the kind that goes into a lot of guitar stores to play stuff on the wall.  For example, I've not played a Martin orF many other mainline brands.  Don't care.  And there are so many boutique builders that are certainly not available to play around here that I'll never have a chance to play so this kind of thread becomes impossible to answer in any definitive way.

However, I've got a couple of guitars that I think are outstanding but would I buy another from the same maker.  Maybe, is the answer.  For example, I have a Halcyon and have one on order for delivery next year.  Is it a 'dream' guitar?  Maybe since I have yet to decide on woods.  I also have a Boucher and it's a great guitar but would I get another?   I have a Larrivee that I really like and I'm on board for the FVI but will it be the 'dream' guitar?  I also have a Crosby that is proving to be a reeeeally nice guitar but would I have Russel build another?

I've never played a Collings or a Santa Cruz or many other custom small volume luthiers.  How would I know?  I tend to think that not having a 'dream' guitar is likely the best way to go and just enjoy the ones I have.

My only comeback for this is that at one point, Larrivee was a "boutique" guitar to me. 

I'm glad I found them.

Ed
Adam Ag 98

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2022, 01:36:05 PM »

I'm constantly dreaming of guitars and a new one recently jumped to the top of the list.

I typically do not like painted acoustics, at all. Not even the tried and true sunburst. I love the uniqueness of natural wood grain.

Having said that, The Music Zoo has a custom Martin style 42 OOO painted in glossy navy blue, european flamed maple pickguard, etc.

It is beautiful. I now want to build a custom Larrivee w/similar cosmetics.

Another dream - Bedell. I played an incredible cutaway dread in Nashville w/a highly figured indian rosewood back. It played like an electric the action was so incredible.

To keep w/the format:

1. In reach - Yairi DY62C or a similar newer cutaway dread
2. Just out of reach - a custom Larrivee w/similar specs as above or the Bedell
3. Out of reach - a JOI custom built similar to his Slash guitar - The Tree back/sides and ancient sitka top.

It's been a long time since I've perused these forums. I've been thinking a lot about the custum Larrivee build I mentioned above and found this 2020 post of mine. It turns out that a few months later the Yairi DY62C I mentioned came up on reverb and was being sold from Charley's Guitar Shop in Dallas (30 minutes from my house on a Saturday AM). I called them while driving down, before they opened, and said "Don't let anyone on Reverb buy that, I'll be there in 20 minutes". Walked out w/a fantastic deal. The guitar had been purchased brand new in 2004. The seller had apparently had some medical issues that limited his playing so he was clearing the heard. He claimed it had never once been played and I have no reason to doubt it - like my Larrivee purchase it was used w/out so much as a pick scratch on the guard.

If you're familiar w/Monte Montgomery you know this is the model he plays, although his "excalibur" is from the late 80's. Yairi doesn't make this model anymore because apparently they ran out of their burled mahogany stock. It plays like youo'd expect a guitar doing what Monte does to play. Having said that - right after I got it I did a blind A/B test w/my wife and she agreed 100% the Larrive L-03R sounds much better - fuller and louder.  The Yairi is still a freaking blast to play however.

Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2022, 04:42:50 PM »

I love Yairis (nice find!) and don’t live far from Charley’s myself.  I go in there now and then and it’s always fun.  They had a wall full of Larrivees for a while that someone had in there on consignment, some really nice ones.  I played some of them and could’ve been happy with any of them as a lifetime player.   A cool feature about that shop is that it’s not just a room full of Martins and Taylors, but they have all kinds of oddball stuff every time I go in.  Rough neighborhood over there too, and no telling what you might see walking down Harry Hines. 
 ohmy
Escalibore

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2022, 02:46:48 AM »

I have most everything I want. If I could have one more, it would definitely be a Lowden of some sort with a Redwood top and an African Blackwood back and sides.

* Larrivee: Forum 3; Italian Spruce with Rosewood back and sides
* Martin: OM-42
* Martin: Custom Maury Meuhlheisen D-35
* Martin: 000-17 SM
* Emerald: X7/OS Custom
* Gibson: Les Paul
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: