Thumb picks

Started by whiskeyjack, March 30, 2020, 04:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy:  Hope everyone's well and safe.

I'm gonna' try learning more about blue grass banjo.  But, I've never met a thumb pick I didn't like.  They're usually made in Asia for Asian thumbs it seems.  I'm a fingerstyle folk guitar guy so this is gonna' be painful. 

Does anyone have a favorite source for thumb and finger picks they can share?

Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Quote from: whiskeyjack on March 30, 2020, 04:07:44 PM

Does anyone have a favorite source for thumb and finger picks they can share?

Are you familiar with THESE  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Hey Jack,
Please see photo of the picks I use now for banjo, 12 string and what little steel I play.
The "group of three" picks on the right is for 12 string.
I only show the ones I use now, I have dozens more.

You will see the thumb picks have been modified (heated, shaped and filed).
I can't give you source, but all mine are commonly sold.
Just as FYI, I don't use picks when playing 6 string.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 30, 2020, 08:27:14 PM
Are you familiar with THESE  :?

Woo.  Those are different!!   Thanks for that.  I'm gonna' keep that link.   :donut2 :coffee

I found these too  'Think I'll give 'em a try.
Gretch 5120

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 30, 2020, 09:21:46 PM
Hey Jack,
Please see photo of the picks I use now for banjo, 12 string and what little steel I play.
The "group of three" picks on the right is for 12 string.
I only show the ones I use now, I have dozens more.

You will see the thumb picks have been modified (heated, shaped and filed).
I can't give you source, but all mine are commonly sold.
Just as FYI, I don't use picks when playing 6 string.
Mike

Thanks for taking time to post an image.  Very helpful.

My thumbs are pretty big and size large thumb picks don't fit. So, I've attempted to modify them as well.  They'd fit ok for a little while and then go sloppy.  Since posting this thread I've gotten several recommendations from other sources.  'Turns out that Dunlop makes an 'extra large' thumb pick (1.4 mil).  I'm gonna' try 'em and see what happens.

The other thing I found was Ernie Ball Pickey Picks  These are supposedly more forgiving than the usual metal picks for when your right hand is off-axis, i.e. less than perfectly perpendicular to the strings.  We'll see!

Thank you's again for the response. :donut :donut2 :coffee
Gretch 5120

Quote from: whiskeyjack on March 31, 2020, 09:48:25 AM
Thanks for taking time to post an image.  Very helpful.
The other thing I found was Ernie Ball Pickey Picks
The Ernie Ball picks are those in the photo just to the right of the thumb picks.
But really, all metal picks sort of need to be bent and played, bent and played, till they fit your style and hand position. Then, after much playing they smooth off around the tips, get shiny and become "faster". Or maybe it is just getting used to them.
Good luck with the banjo.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 31, 2020, 11:35:20 AM
The Ernie Ball picks are those in the photo just to the right of the thumb picks.
But really, all metal picks sort of need to be bent and played, bent and played, till they fit your style and hand position. Then, after much playing they smooth off around the tips, get shiny and become "faster". Or maybe it is just getting used to them.
Good luck with the banjo.
Mike

Thanks, Mike.  This'll be an adventure after so many years playing guitar.
Gretch 5120

I don't play banjo, but I like these for guitar:
D'Andrea Thumb Picks

Thank you for that, Queequeg.  I figured you'd be using whale bone for nuts & saddles and teeth for picks.  . . :arrow

I can't find d'andrea in extra large though.  They sure are purdee.  I can't find d'andrea in extra large though.  They sure are purdee.  I just ordered some Dunlop extra large.  They seem to be the only source for extra large.. (?)
Gretch 5120

I have large hands and I've never found a thumb pick I could tolerate. I still give them a go every so often but they're uncomfortable and get out of place very quickly. I just grow my right hand fingernails out enough to get a good attack. The better the technique, the less nail you need.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I hear ya, Bowie.  It's what I do for finger style guitar too.  But, for a 5-string banjo the attack is different.  I can play a little with nails but they don't last long.  I never liked thumb picks either but I'll have to adjust if I'm gonna' learn banjo.
Gretch 5120

Quote from: whiskeyjack on April 01, 2020, 08:52:08 PM
I hear ya, Bowie.  It's what I do for finger style guitar too.  But, for a 5-string banjo the attack is different.  I can play a little with nails but they don't last long.  I never liked thumb picks either but I'll have to adjust if I'm gonna' learn banjo.
Ah, I see. I play clawhammer so it hasn't been an issue but I can see how getting that hard bluegrass punch would require picks.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Reopening an older topic as I start using a thumb pick. Has anyone tried these?
https://blackmountainpicks.com/

Gimmick or?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: Hooked on November 26, 2021, 12:05:36 PM
Reopening an older topic as I start using a thumb pick. Has anyone tried these?
https://blackmountainpicks.com/

Gimmick or?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

No, they are legit. I got some. I'm not a great fingerpicker. It takes some getting used but worth the effort. So easy to go between fingerpicking and strumming. However, if I were to play a song that only used a pick, I'd use a regular pick. Strumming with these works fine, it's great to be able to switch back and forth, but it's not my ideal feel in a pick - not bad though.
I would give the thumbs up on giving it a shot.

Thanks, Bard! Good stocking stuffer hint to drop to the kids!
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

I tried the Black Mountain thumb picks on banjo, dobro and guitar and for me found that they just did not stay positioned on my thumb all that well. I have use the Golden Gate multi color (Clown Barf) thumb picks for several years now and do like the sound I get from them. They are also adjustable using the old hot water technique to soften them a bit, fit to your thumb and then dunk in ice water to set them. You do need to be careful to not heat them too long or you will end up with an oddly shaped piece of plastic that cannot be put back into shape. If you really want to go crazy expense wise, the Blue Chip thumb picks are amazing. Crazy expensive but the fit and stay in place on the thumb the best I have ever seen. To my ears they sound the best by a long shot. YMMV so use what suits you the best.
Larrivee OM-60 SH
Beard Jerry Douglas Signature
Nechville Saturn
Kala Uke Bass
Kanile'a Super Tenor Ukulele
Samick L5 copy
Custom B Bender Tele

I've never found a comfortable thumb pick (or neck tie). I use a (plain old Fender heavy) flat pick held the normal way and use the middle and ring finger to embellish. Hybrid picking. It takes a while to get used to but works very well. Besides, you have a flat pick when you need it.   :beer

As my very wise son in law says, "A lot of the gear is to reel in the fisherman and not the fish."   :winkin: