Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Best Years  (Read 287 times)
new_B

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2020, 02:55:00 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I did a search but didn't find much other than a post that is nearly 20 years old, so please forgive me if my search skills suck.

I WILL own a Larrivée in the near future (either OM or L model), but I don't own one yet. I've gotten to play a few and a local pawn shop has a OM-03k "Linda" that plays and sounds good, but they want too much for it with the various issues it has. All the Larrivées I played have impressed me and their reputation is apparent once you start asking about them.

I was wondering what the best years for Larrivée guitars were/are or, conversely, the worst ones. I've read a few things about some of the guitars 20-25 years ago with bridges pulling off because they were glued over the finish, but this doesn't seem to have been a widespread issue.

Any guidance you can offer will be appreciated.

I have no idea if this donut pic will work, but here it is!
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 04:52:19 AM »

I have never thought about it.The first Larrivee I played were from NAMM 99 I think,sold them from 2000 thru 2006 when I left a store I worked at.I 've had a few come thru my shop of the newer one's and a couple of older one's haven't play a bad one.I playing an OM03PA as my main guitar 12 fret maple body.Hope that helps.  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 05:47:13 AM »

I usually seek out prime years from a maker but I don't think there's any such thing with Larrivee. They don't have any bad years. There's some cosmetic variations and small things. If you like ornate headstock inlays then you're likely going to be going with 90's and early 00's models. Newer models have a very clean design with nice maple binding. Sound-wise, Larrivees are pretty consistent. Aged instruments tend to have an advantage, IMO, but if you're looking for Larrivees to target or avoid, that shouldn't be a concern.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 04:10:48 PM »

I currently own three Larrivee acoustics of varying ages - a '79 L, a '92 OM, and a 2015 L. All well built, with slightly different specs and necks, etc.

Quite frankly - and this surprises even me - right now the 2015 (a custom) is my favorite in tone and playing feel (although I also love the neck of the '92 OM, of which I am the original owner). However they are all great sounding guitars with their own unique tone.

So I agree with some of the above sentiments; I don't think there's a "bad" era for Larrivee. It may really come down to what you like in appointments (like satin finish versus gloss, etc.).

welcome

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19 (converted to lefty)
1992 OM-05
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2015 L-05 Custom
2020 OM-03R Legacy
2020 C-03R-TE (on order!)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »

I bet if you asked anyone named Larrivee, they'd say this year.

My 99 O-01 is fantastic, but so is my 13 PV-03.

Ed
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 05:59:40 PM »

The next one will be the best one but the last one may be even better. 
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 01:05:01 AM »

Same guy at the helm for over 50 years!!!!!  Absolutely no evidence that he hasn't got finer with age. I personally own acoustic Larrivee's from 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's and I am unable to say any are better. A lot of consistency is the over-riding factor.

I do prefer the electrics made in the late 00's to any other though.

welcome

And thanks for the 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
new_B

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 02:29:30 AM »

Thanks everyone! This is the vibe I was getting, but I wanted to see what people here thought.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 04:46:42 PM »

I personally own acoustic Larrivee's from 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and 10's and I am unable to say any are better.

welcome

And thanks for the 
Guess your going to have to buy more guitars now that its the 20's, 

I agree that you won't find an era for good or bad guitars from Larrivee. Through the decades there have been some unique runs as far as woods used and ornamentation so you should be able to find something that you like.
 welcome
Thanks for the donuts

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 03:47:15 AM »

The VERY best year was year YOUR guitar was built in!

Never mind the donuts, go straight to admin and ask for the magic button and how to learn the "secret" hand shake!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
cyberbrett

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 04:11:28 PM »

You can't go wrong with a Larrivee!  I have 6, and love them all.  2010 SD-50, 2013 Martin D-28 (yes I added a Martin, but honestly, it isn't my favorite guitar) Larrivee D-05 1997 (my first Larry and still my fave), DV-09 1999, D-09 2000, LV-03RW ME Special Edition (love playing this one tuned down a full step), D-03 2001 and a D-03r 2001. I've found that having many guitars let's you keep a few in different tunings, have a few neck widths and body styles.  Once you're hooked it is like finding a great bottle of wine.  The SD-50 is very unique with different bracing, a larger soundhole, 12 frets to the body and a 1 7/8" neck that is great for big hands and/or fingers.  If you have a few guitars now, bring your favorite 1 or 2 with you and compare them to the Larrivee you're interested in buying.  When one "talks to you", I suspect you'll find yourself leaving the store with it!  Be patient and play as many as you can find, and at least one of them will just feel right.  Like many of us here, at some point you're likely to own more than one Larrivee and you'll appreciate every single one of them!  
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »

I would not say that there is a "best" time period, as much as one should understand the manufacturing and cosmetic differences between eras.

Examples:
   The first several years of the -03 series all had 1-11/16" nuts for all body sizes.
   The first several years of the -03 series had plastic binding and purfling
   Newer Larrivees have Martin Style pickguards instead of the traditional clear.

A few years ago (October 17?)  Larrivee switched from their signature compound radius to a straight Martin style 16"

I personally vastly prefer the clear guards, and compound radius.  That wouldn't prevent me from buying a newer one, just that I would prefer a slightly older one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: