Where are the 00s?

Started by ejko, March 21, 2020, 06:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I regretfully sold my 00-40 Flamed Walnut several months ago. With a lot of time on my hands these days, I've started to look for a replacement, either another 00-40FW or a 00-40R, ideally with the torch headstock.  I spent today going to the websites of every Larrivee dealer listed on their website and found exactly one 00, a 00-40R (no torch headstock).

While this one may be enough if I can make an acceptable deal, I am amazed that there aren't more available, given the popularity of small bodied guitars.  Or maybe that's the reason; they are bought as soon as they become available.

Any thoughts as to why they are so hard to come by?  Also, any leads on dealers who have some in stock?  I'd also be interested in a mint condition used one.

Thanks!

If the reason were that they were selling too quick, then they would just make more of them. That can't be it.

I think the popularity may have waned a little. A few years ago, 00s and Parlors were gaining a lot of momentum. Over the past couple years I've seen a ton of used, smaller guitars on offer and they weren't selling as quick as the full sized models.
That's just my perspective from what I've observed. Personally, I think everyone should have a 00.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

A google search shows several stores have OO-40's in stock.  Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Brass and Woodwind Shop.  Dave's Woodstock Music, and Notable Guitars both show OO-03's.  There were more.

Ed

I regretfully sold my 00-40 Flamed Walnut several months ago. With a lot of time on my hands these days, I've started to look for a replacement, either another 00-40FW or a 00-40R, ideally with the torch headstock. . . .Any thoughts as to why they are so hard to come by?  Also, any leads on dealers who have some in stock?  I'd also be interested in a mint condition used one.

I am puzzled as well. I've been scanning eBay & Reverb for months and months and used OO's rarely pop up. What's so odd about that is that the OO is only very slightly smaller that the Taylor GCs that you see on every wall in every big box shop.

Larrivee's OO's are kind of a niche model, strummers won't pick them up and picker's must think they're too small to not sound boxy. My OO's are much louder than my Taylor and definitely not boxy.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

The oo's are the job of the backup singers!  :whistling:

Quote from: eded on March 22, 2020, 12:16:49 PM
A google search shows several stores have OO-40's in stock.  Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Brass and Woodwind Shop.  Dave's Woodstock Music, and Notable Guitars both show OO-03's.  There were more.

Ed

Thanks, but looking for a walnut or rosewood body.  I believe those you mentioned are mahogany.  I'll double check though.

Quote from: ejko on March 23, 2020, 10:08:35 AM
Thanks, but looking for a walnut or rosewood body.  I believe those you mentioned are mahogany.  I'll double check though.

http://www.daveswoodstockmusic.com/larrivee-00-03-rosewood-acoustic-guitar.html

Still looking for a 00-40 Flamed Walnut/Spruce or Rosewood/Spruce.  I did find one but is in Spain!  Not sure I want to (or even could) have one shipped over given the virus.

I share your pain.  I had a F-IV as well as a Wildwood Zebranowood and let both go - would take both back in a heartbeat.

Chas

I love my OO-40 "Pearl Edition" with custom bridge.

Here she is, hanging out with her sibling, LV-10 50th.

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Beautiful!  Now if I could only find one for sale...

LS-30
Butterscotch Bakersfield HB Rosewood
OO 05 Custom
P-03 All Koa
P-03 Sitka/Rosewood

Found and bought one!  Thanks to all who replied and offered suggestions.