Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bills  (Read 553 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2005, 03:13:07 PM »

Kathy and I saw this band last night. What a hoot! From Victoria. The guitar played a Larrivee L09 which sounded great. Fabulous musicians, the mandolin player (like a Micheal Hedges of the mando) and accordion/violin/piano player were utterly outstanding.. Lots of fun. You guys would have loved them.

www.thebills.ca

review of new album Let em Run.

Here come The Bills with the follow up to 2002's award-winning All Day Every Day, with a shortened name and a new fiddler - former Scrüj McDhuck man, Jeremy Penner. And all we can do is stare in amazement as they stride like a colossus across the acoustic music scene. These guys can play just about any North American traditional musical style. Or, come to think of it, these guys can play anything. They are inspired and versatile, engaging and funny, sincere and warm, spectacularly good live and more than a bit nuts. They surely practiced loads to get this good.
If you want variety it is here. There's bluegrass, classical, jazz, acapella folk singing and lots more to savour. More than that, they wrote the whole thing themselves. Fiddle, accordion, bass, guitar, piano and mandolin are all woven seamlessly together to produce the distinctive and unmistakeable sound of great musicians enjoying the hell out of playing.
Favourites of mine include the acappella Bamfield's John Vanden, the fiddle and flat-pick driven instrumental, The Gatlinburg, and fiddler-keyboardist-acordionist Adrian Dolan's Cambridge Set. Chris Frye's voice has grown stronger and more commanding since the last CD and mandolinist Mark Atkinson continues to lead from the front with cavalier soloing and musical derring-do. An absolute corker of a recording, this.
- By Tim Readman
jwieties
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 04:32:10 PM »

Sounds like a great show.
Always looking for new artist.  Thanks for the heads up DT.
-josh

Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster
hsojeel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 05:04:57 PM »

They are great, but when you go to buy there cd it's like 22.50, that's way to much man.  I gotta find it somewhere for cheaper, I dig them though they are great.

josh

To err is human....but to do the same wrong thing over and over, well that takes a Christian. 
(Romans chp2 vs3)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 05:16:18 PM »

Let's try that link again for those who want to sample a bit of their music.

http://www.thebills.ca/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: